YECs and science (plus subtopic - English riots)

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: YECs and science (plus subtopic - English riots)

Postby Michael » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:28 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:
Don't forget those pre evolution folk who just loved an opportunity to attend a public hanging

Yep, didn't the puritans chop someone's head off ?

One way to keep Anglican bishops in order
Michael

Postby Peter Henderson » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:50 pm

Michael wrote:
Peter Henderson wrote:
Don't forget those pre evolution folk who just loved an opportunity to attend a public hanging

I'll bet ploughboy would agree !
Peter Henderson

Postby Roger Stanyard » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:53 pm

Michael wrote:
Peter Henderson wrote:

Doesn't appear to have had much success, though. ;-)
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby a_haworthroberts » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:34 pm

Nearly all the CMI people seem to have moustaches. Well dodgy.

The 'riots' are the topic on 4 Thought TV this week. But when I looked earlier, I could see no details online of who the seven speakers are (I was expecting a fundamentalist Christian to be one of the probable speakers). http://www.4thought.tv/
a_haworthroberts

Postby Peter Henderson » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:06 pm

I get the impression Jonatha Sarfati is now the head of CMI Ashley. Would that be a fair assumption ?

Would love to see someone who's capable enough debate this guy as he does come over as being annoyingly over confident. Definitely needs to be taken down a peg or two.

I'm surprised Dawkins hasn't responded to his "reatest hoax" nonsense . Surely someone is knowledgable enough to disect his claims in the public arena ?

Why is Sarfati being allowed to get away with it ?
Peter Henderson

Postby a_haworthroberts » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:49 am

Last year on Amazon.com book reviews scientist and atheist ('yeast sozzler') David Levin challenged Sarfati to a debate. Sarfati didn't seem interested.
a_haworthroberts

Re: YECs and science

Postby a_haworthroberts » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:25 am

a_haworthroberts

Re: YECs and science

Postby a_haworthroberts » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:54 am

I've commented here (just spotted my typo, see square brackets): http://www.lineoffireradio.com/2011/08/ ... ment-64205

The comment is visible just now, but awaits moderation. Should it disappear, it reads: "Bob T – you are seriously misinformed about ‘Lucy’: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12425576. She was no ‘chimpanzee’.

S Johnson makes sound points in his second and third paragraphs (comment 16).

Michael Brown – if you are an OEC you will know that the science is MUCH more on your side than it is on the side of YEC-ism. The only evidence for a 6,000 year old [Earth] is the Bible (which is not scientific evidence).

I didn’t listen to the Sarfati interview but I have reviewed his 2010 book in detail at Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com."
a_haworthroberts

Postby Brian Jordan » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:57 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:Oh, and they also claim on their Facebook page the articles on Creation.Con have been peer reviewed:

https://www.facebook.com/creationnewsl

Creation Ministries International 胡瓊文, we cannot allow links to sites other than creation.com as ours have been peer reviewed

Lying yet again.
No, just being literal again - they've been reviewed by their peers: other nutty creationists.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby a_haworthroberts » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:27 am

These post-riot blogs by Christians have appeared (only skim read; the second is in fact just about the perils of being an evilutionist):
http://sapphiresky.org/2011/08/14/english-yobs/
http://lifevine.wordpress.com/2011/08/1 ... evolution/
a_haworthroberts

Postby cathy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:55 am

These post-riot blogs by Christians have appeared (only skim read; the second is in fact just about the perils of being an evilutionist):
http://sapphiresky.org/2011/08/14/english-yobs/
http://lifevine.wordpress.com/2011/08/1 ... evolution/
I for one am getting heartily p'd off with this latest creationist implication. If the teaching of evolution (and a lot saying that are too stupid even to add in the word teaching-meaning that they are saying the looting is proof of evolution) is responsible for moral decline than surely the biggest criminals, serial killers, looters, con artists etc would be drawn from the world of biology. Just tell me what proportion of the prison population is made up of evolutionary biologest? This has got to be one of their stupidest lies.

Still I just loved this from the lifevine link Ashley,

This is what I’ve noticed. Those who reject evolution are generally more compassionate towards the unborn, the aged, the handicapped, and the ill. They are more than likely to be generous givers, and compassionate at heart. They are more than likely to be humble and contrite. They are more than likely to stand up for things of value. They are more than likely to ask questions and be learners. They are more than likely to act with love.

On the other hand I’ve observed evolutionists as the exact opposite, and cutting to the chase, in the end they rather resemble wild apes.

Well I've noticed the exact opposite. So hardly a great scientific argument from livevine. Is this person for real or is it a wind up?

The aged, the handicaapped and the ill-Ken Ham will take your money just the same. Ken is hardly poor or giving is he-but he knows how to get a tax subsidy. After all what good do taxes do-all those pointless hospitals for the poor-far better in Kens pocket.

What does CMI beg me to donate to every time I go on their site? Help the Aged, Mencap, Cancer Research UK any disaster relief fund at all? NO don't be silly they ask me to donate to that very needy cause-the CMI liars for Jesus website. And should I reject evolution based on their words the chances are I'm not as educated or capable of rational thought and therefore far less likely to be lucratively employed. Still they'll grab my cash. If I want to see requests for donations to any worthy cause I have to go to atheist websites or non creationst Christian ones.

More humble and contrite. Has anyone ever met a creationist who does not eptomise arrogance. Has anyone ever met a creationist who says oh sorry you may have a point there. Have you ever met a creationist who gives a stuff about anyone else. You accept them as the font of knowledge and wisdom or they'll happily let you rot. In fact Hams rants about compromisers have to be some of the most unpleasant attempts at character assasination I've read outside of Anderson's blogs. V humble and contrite.

Never in my life seen a creationist stand up for anything of value either. They stand up only for creationism. May try to justify it by claiming they're standing up for the word of God but they're not.

Ask questions and learner-I'm speechless here. I just love the way that those conned by creationists (and I do genuinely have some pity some of those victims) keep saying this. They question nothing and learn nothing. If they did the very first thing that would be apparent to any half intelligent adult is that creation 'science' is nonsense and creation 'science' peddlars are con artists. It is so obvious to anyone that thinks and the reason they need so desparately to get into schools and at uninformed kids.

They are more likely to act with love-What the only love I've ever seen any creationist act with is for his bank account and self.

Evolutionists are the opposite apparently-like wild apes. Well in my experience the opposite is true. The most consistently morally bankrupt group I've come across has been members of the creation 'science' industry.

Oh and I just love the fact that the only comment is from someone who not only used to be an atheist but practised witchcraft as well. Cos it's always useful to try and combine those two very disparate traits isn't it. I don't believe in God therefore I'm off to sacrifice a goat. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Then again the blog might be a wind up? Creationists are so inane it is often difficult to tell when someones is just taking the p instead. And it does start with evolution sounds like evil solution so it could be I've been had again? :oops:
cathy

Postby Peter Henderson » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:42 am

Brian Jordan wrote:
Peter Henderson wrote:Oh, and they also claim on their Facebook page the articles on Creation.Con have been peer reviewed:

https://www.facebook.com/creationnewsl

Creation Ministries International 胡瓊文, we cannot allow links to sites other than creation.com as ours have been peer reviewed

Lying yet again.
No, just being literal again - they've been reviewed by their peers: other nutty creationists.

Was thinking more of the satement about their articles being "peer reviewed".

That's a downright fib Brian. So called "Peer review" amongst other creationists is not peer review by any stretch of the imagination.
Peter Henderson

Postby Peter Henderson » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:48 am

P.S. Wasn't impressed in the slighest by Lord Tebbit's statements yesterday on BBC News 24. Used it as an opportunity to attack the welfare state etc. Typical Thatcherite Tory Rhetoric which we heard so often in the 80's when they were in power with an overall majority.
Peter Henderson

Postby cathy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:42 am

P.S. Wasn't impressed in the slighest by Lord Tebbit's statements yesterday on BBC News 24. Used it as an opportunity to attack the welfare state etc. Typical Thatcherite Tory Rhetoric which we heard so often in the 80's when they were in power with an overall majority.
Ah yes the other great cause of the moral decline of the country-helping those in need. Good God man where are the workhouses when you need them. What those looters really needed was rickets and a good dose of cholera. Wouldn't have been so chipper lobbing bricks at PC world then I can tell you.

Did he mention the minority that abuse the system as representative of the whole lot, or single parents? Just waiting for that one to crop up as well if it hasn't already. Seem to recall huge chunks of tory rhetoric of the nineties blaming the decline of the economy on that feckless bunch wandering round council offices and saying 'I am a single parent and I claim my three councils houses'-ha-remember it well.

if I really thought about it I suspect I'd be handing a huge portion of blame for the looting to Tebbit, the Thatcherite Tory Rhetoric of the 80s and the attitudes they encouraged.

Anyway exactly what percentage of the country went out looting, compared with the percentage-from all walks of life and all types of families-that didn't?
cathy

Postby Peter Henderson » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:04 am

AiG's interpretation of Dino-bird evolution. Don't laugh:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/article ... nk-problem

For example, Archaeopteryx and Sinosauropteryx are found in rock layers associated with the Flood. So how old are they? They are about 4,350 years old. Dinosaurs are also found in rock layers from the Flood, putting them around 4,350 years old too. Did one turn into the other during the Flood? Not at all. They were fleeing from and finally buried and fossilized in the Flood. In other words, they died at the same time.

Besides, birds (Day Five) were created before dinosaurs (Day Six, being land animals). So birds were around prior to dinosaurs and did not need to evolve from dinosaurs. This is like someone arguing that the laptop computer evolved into the first airplane. This is clearly fallacious since airplanes were already around prior to laptop computers!

No wonder there are poohboys.
Peter Henderson

PreviousNext

Return to Free For All