Edinburgh Creation Group resurfaces?

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Edinburgh Creation Group resurfaces?

Postby cathy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:57 pm

Looks like Edinburgh creation group, after a year of being largely moribund, has now resurfaced to lie for Jesus. Yep suddenly their events page has some events.
Creation or Evolution - Faith Mission

Date: Monday, March 13th, 2012 at 7:30pm
Speakers: Dr Marc Surtees, Paul James-Griffiths, Phil Holden,
Location: Faith Mission Centre, behind bookshop and cafe, 548 Gilmerton Rd, Edinburgh, EH177JD (Map)

Dr Marc Surtees will give an up-to-date look at the science (Marc's PhD is in zoology). Phil Holden give his personal testimony of how he changed from being an atheist/agnostic to someone who believes in the Bible's account of creation. Paul James-Griffiths, a former lecturer in ancient history will also give and account of how he came to believe in the Biblical account of creation.

So it looks like Marc will be lying about science and Paul James Griffiths will be just lying.

For those who don't know Paul James Griffiths is the one who made the others look virtuous and sane by doing a talk on the fruits of evolutions (and its roots in paganism and witchcraft - yes you heard right) where he blames evolution on a masonic plot to overthrow God and blames it for Kinsey research into sex in the 50s (how is evolution to blame - nobody knows cos PJG didn't explain) and the rise of single parenthood (hows it to blame there - well yet again PJG doesn't explain).

What makes PJG even thicker is he does seem to understand the inconvenient fact that we evolved into bipeds alongside having having increasingly large brained and immature, helpless babies which rather precludes mothers giving birth and both of them surviving totally alone ha ha. Evolution would have rendered them somewhat vulnerable.

And even if he doesn't believe in evolution that is what evolutionists think - making the rise in single parenthood to evolutionists something cultural rather than evolutionary in origin. So not only none of his business how others conduct their lives but also factually about as loony as it is possible to get.

Unfortunately I think even they've found his fruits of evolution talk too bonkers to remain. It looks like it's been removed. Which is lucky otherwise I'd have had to listen again and that would be sad for me. But guess its unfortunate for the rest of you whom I'm sure would have loved it.

Philip Holden, I assume will be talking about acquired brain injury?

And afterwards:

Celebrating Creation - Classical Music Event

When: Sat 24th March 2012 7:30pm
Where: St Columba's Free Church, JohnstonTerrace, Edinburgh EH1 2PW
Price: £6

Dovrak once said: 'I study with the birds, flowers, God and myself.' Observing creation often fills us with awe and wonder. From the vast cosmos to the tiny flower, a panorama of beauty and majesty calls forth creativity from all of us. For some that outlet is music. In this concert we will listen to music by the composers J.S. Bach, Chopin, Vivaldi, Mozart, Hande

Now for any other group, that would be a nice night out or social event. A night at a concert just to get together. Not for creationists tho. So great is their obsessions that even a night out has to be hi jacked by the book of Genesis. Not only Newton and Faraday but now Dovrak and Vivaldi have been co opted as science denying loons (wonder why Dovraks more famous pal Dvorak was ignored)! Better not try that with Morrissey!

So maybe next week the football? Ally Mcoist says 'I study with the grass, broken glass, tax forms God and myself'? From kick off to final whistle we can think of Genesis as we watch.

How odd life must be when everything single thing has to revolve around the book of Genesis? Bonkers or what.

Anyway I guess they're using a creationist calender - Monday is the 12th not the 13th. Or maybe just a creationist interpretation of the evidence from a normal calender? Who knows.
cathy

Re: Edinburgh Creation Group resurfaces?

Postby Roger Stanyard » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:13 pm

cathy wrote:For those who don't know Paul James Griffiths is the one who made the others look virtuous and sane by doing a talk on the fruits of evolutions (and its roots in paganism and witchcraft - yes you heard right) where he blames evolution on a masonic plot to overthrow God and blames it for Kinsey research into sex in the 50s (how is evolution to blame - nobody knows cos PJG didn't explain) and the rise of single parenthood (hows it to blame there - well yet again PJG doesn't explain).

What makes PJG even thicker is he does seem to understand the inconvenient fact that we evolved into bipeds alongside and and having having large brained and immature, helpless babies which rather preclude mothers giving birth and both of them surviving totally alone ha ha. Evolution would have rendered them somewhat vulnerable.

And even if he doesn't believe in evolution that is what evolutionists think - making the rise in single parenthood to evolutionists something cultural rather than evolutionary in origin. So not only none of his business how others conduct their lives but also factually about as loony as it is possible to get.

Unfortunately I think even they've found his fruits of evolution talk to bonkers to remain. It looks like it's been removed. Which is lucky otherwise I'd have had to listen again and that would be sad but unfortunate for the rest of you whom I'm sure would have loved it.

Philip Holden, I assume will be talking about acquired brain injury?

He's just a saloon bar bore who's arguments are based on assertion, not thorough understanding.

Perhaps he might like to tell all here whether unprepared and uneducated teenage mothers were more common 50 years ago than today, or not. And what is the relationship between good parenting and educational achievements of women.

I take a rule of thumb that half of all marriages are failures and half the rest are basically unsuited to each other. It's always been like that. I'd like to see his erudite explanation.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Brian Jordan » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:36 pm

cathy wrote:For those who don't know Paul James Griffiths is the one who made the others look virtuous and sane by doing a talk on the fruits of evolutions (and its roots in paganism and witchcraft - yes you heard right) where he blames evolution on a masonic plot to overthrow God
<snip>
And afterwards:
Celebrating Creation - Classical Music Event
When: Sat 24th March 2012 7:30pm
Where: St Columba's Free Church, JohnstonTerrace, Edinburgh EH1 2PW
Price: £6 <snip>
In this concert we will listen to music by the composers J.S. Bach, Chopin, Vivaldi, Mozart, Handel

Paul James Griffiths will have to leave before the Mozart then - he was one of those dastardly freemasons!
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Peter Henderson » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:05 pm

As a Christian, I used to have a lot of respect for Faith Mission bookshops.

I'm appalled they've now got themselves mixed up in what is a very divisive doctrine within the church.

Yet again proof that a belief young Earth creationism is now seen, in certain evangelical circles at least, as essential for salvation.

What on Earth has clasical music got to do with creation ?

Phil Holden give his personal testimony of how he changed from being an atheist/agnostic to someone who believes in the Bible's account of creation. Paul James-Griffiths, a former lecturer in ancient history will also give and account of how he came to believe in the Biblical account of creation.

Why would I not be convinced by either to reject science ?
Peter Henderson

Postby Brian Jordan » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:13 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:As a Christian, I used to have a lot of respect for Faith Mission bookshops.

I'm appalled they've now got themselves mixed up in what is a very divisive doctrine within the church.
Probably just another booking to them, and could be at most a cheap trick by the creos. Like hiring a room in the House of Commons and then implying that they'd addressed parliament.
What on Earth has clasical music got to do with creation ?
Well, they seem to have forgotten Haydn - they could have claimed his Creation for their own!
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Michael » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:12 pm

Lookm carefully at Haydn's creation . It is not a 6/24 creation but rather creation of chaos of indeterminate length follwed by reordering. That was the common view of the 18th century not a 6/24 literalsim
Michael

Postby Peter Henderson » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:52 am

Michael wrote:Lookm carefully at Haydn's creation . It is not a 6/24 creation but rather creation of chaos of indeterminate length follwed by reordering. That was the common view of the 18th century not a 6/24 literalsim

Nobody in this day and age should be a YEC.

Why millions of poeople across the world, and especially in the uS, still believe in it continually baffles me.
Peter Henderson

Postby cathy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:39 am

There is also this treat in store!
Carrying The Creation Tourch

When: 20th October 2012, (Starting 9:30am)
Where: Carrubbers Christian Centre, 65 High Street, Royal Mile, EH1 1SR

Talks subject to change.

The Biblical Foundation of Creation: Rev Wayne Sutton (to be confirmed)

Creation and Evolution: the biological evidence: Dr Marc Surtees (ECG)

Migration after the Flood: How did animals and plants spread around the world so quickly? Dominic Stratham (CMI)

Let the Rocks Speak: Evidence for the Flood from the fossils and geology: Philip Bell (CMI)

Creation: The Evidence (includes the gospel) Paul James-Griffiths (ECG)

Where lots of well known liars for Jesus will be gathering with torches to - well - tell lies for Jesus. Well for themselves really - but hey a bit of self delusion that they're doing it for some greater good rather than their own egos probably helps salve whatever conscience they've got.

Philip Bell and his talking rocks sounds really good. Is he a vetroloquist with some granite and sandstone finger puppets, or are they real talking rocks do you think? Specially trained by creationists to lie. Maybe he'll invite some coconino sandstones to reminisce about their memories of Noah and his Ark? 'Aye I remember when't we were just coconino grains in't good old days before all the pressure and there were this big stinky boat....'

Still mustn't mock maybe Philip has finally found the elusive mixed fossil record that their 'theory' should logically predict? Maybe he finally has found a whale in the Cambrian and a fossilised dino farm?

And Dominics jet propelled plants? Whizzing round the world in a strictly defined order to give the illusion of evolution. Wow.

And mystic Marc's biological evidence - ooooh who can wait. At long last the POSITIVE evidence FOR his beliefs? Maybe thats why he hasn't responded to any requests he's been waiting for the right moment to unleash them all on an unsuspecting world!

We'll finally get to hear about the definitive genetic marker creation research has found that prevents evolution straying from micro to macro which I think should be called the godstopper gene. Looking forward to the designer label in the cell proving ID. Will he thrill us all finally with the chemistry demonstration that illustrates his oft repeated mantra that all known chemistry blocks life - a new discovery that will write off the whole science of biochemistry, organic chemistry and indeed biology as we know it. And I can't wait to see the dust to man and rib to woman research finally bearing fruit. Maybe they'll sell it in kits? Grow your own friends.

Or will it be disappointing repetitions of paradigm/worldview/it looks complicated/Dembski done some dumb sums/abiogenesis? thats a problem of evolution and hey heres some footprints that throw doubt on the date of tetrapods/birds/feet yet again? Alongside his other tired old unexplained, illogical and nonsensical repetitious mantras yet again including those old creation 'science' basics of misquoting, selective omissions and downright contortions of facts and extrapolations from nothing to Genesis.

And Paul James Griffiths will finally be giving some evidence. That'll be an interesting first - has he tortured a mason to admit they made it all up to get rid of religion? Has he dug up a copy of Origin of Species at stonehenge with sacrificed babies all around it? Or will he just be babbling inanely as usual? Who knows.

Paul James-Griffiths, a former lecturer in ancient history will also give and account of how he came to believe in the Biblical account of creation.

This confuses me? Why introduce yourself as a former lecturer in ancient history. Thats like me saying cathy a former paper girl and ex brownie (with tea making badge) will give an account of how she came to disbelieve in creationist accounts of anything at all - even their trips to tescos.

What is he now and why is he ashamed to say?
Last edited by cathy on Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
cathy

Postby cathy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:46 am

Well, they seem to have forgotten Haydn - they could have claimed his Creation for their own!

Sorry they did, I didn't drag the mouse down far enough when copying and pasting. So missed a few composers.

As a Christian, I used to have a lot of respect for Faith Mission bookshops.

I'd imagine its just a booking as well.

He's just a saloon bar bore who's arguments are based on assertion, not thorough understanding.

I'd have to agree - especially the bore bit.
cathy

Postby Roger Stanyard » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:53 am

cathy wrote:There is also this treat in store!

Talks subject to change.

Migration after the Flood: How did animals and plants spread around the world so quickly? Dominic Stratham (CMI)

Ah, yes, Dominic Statham, who has suddenly found he has a day spare this week.

A mechanical engineer.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Michael » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:09 am

X-factor?
Michael

Postby a_haworthroberts » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:58 am

Roger Stanyard wrote:
cathy wrote:There is also this treat in store!

Talks subject to change.

Ah, yes, Dominic Statham, who has suddenly found he has a day spare this week.

A mechanical engineer.

Talking of Mr Statham, has everyone seen the two BCSE blogs for Monday?! Apparently he was invited to give another YEC talk at St Peter's School in Exeter. It seems there's a YEC RE teacher at the school.
a_haworthroberts

Postby Michael » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:03 am

I am awaiting some kind of response:)
Michael

Postby cathy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:47 am

Talking of Mr Statham, has everyone seen the two BCSE blogs for Monday?! Apparently he was invited to give another YEC talk at St Peter's School in Exeter. It seems there's a YEC RE teacher at the school

Starting to indoctrinate with her own personal beliefs rather than teach! :evil:

I know what would happen to us if brought so much negative publicity to our school and made it a laughing stock. Is the head a wimp.
cathy

Postby cathy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:14 am

Mad Arthur Jones has done a couple of talks for ECG. One of which I endured whilst attempting some one armed ironing with broken arm. His 'is atheism compatible with science' (or vice versa) talk was bonkers. It was more 'are evolutionists nasty' and of course he'd done some compelling research that convinced me.

Largely taken from works of fiction I hasten to add and from that well known sub set of biological scientists - psychopaths. So after the inevitable worldviews, naturalism, what do children absorb nonsense he gave some utterly compelling evidence from - wait for it the film No Country for Old Men. Yes a Coen brothers movie is cited as an compelling example of the natural conclusions of accepting evolutionary biology.

An argument that would have carried more weight had the drug dealing psychopath in the relevant scene been a respected paleantologist rather than just a drug dealing psychopath. Or had they talked about their route from reading about thrinaxadon to moral breakdown. But they didn't.

I can think of lots of films where religious main characters go bad. And if I was a mad as Arthur I could blame the worlds ills on religious beliefs. But I'm not as mad as Arthur and recognise them as fictional with perhaps a smidgeon of insight into the minds of a minority.

Then there was a novel about Stalins Russia where yet again the old evolutionary blind chance non argument justifies mans inhumanity to man. If we're using novels as evidence of course than I could find several to argue against religion. Ben Eltons Blind Faith for example - an update on 1984 but with creationist vaccine deniers in place of big brother. Or the Handmaids Tale where post apocolyptic religious fundies have returned women to their rightful place. But I know they are just novels and not representative of christianity.

Of course he did dig out some real stuff. Not statistics or anything meaningful showing biologists more likely to be involved in violent crime after sniffing fossils. Oh no - just the usual Columbine shootings and cannibals like Jeffrey Dharmer. Which of course are truly representative of your average evolutionist and human beings. Oh how we chuckle at work about dodging bullets in biology - not.

As for cannibals, it is a relief as an evolutionist and atheist in these hard times to know that should the Tesco shop become too expensive I can always fill the freezer with neighbours or the odd big issue seller. And the christians here need not fear either - as evolutionists they are obviously practical atheists and can go on the rampage too should they choose.

The talk was terrifying cos this man is in charge of curriculums for children! I wouldn't let him teach a dog to fetch a stick. competently.
cathy

Next

Return to Free For All