John Metcalfe books in WH Smiths - who is he?

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

John Metcalfe books in WH Smiths - who is he?

Postby cathy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:58 am

Has anyone here heard of John Metcalfe. He seems to have some religious books in the religion and spirituality section of Coventry's WH Smiths. Two are clearly YEC books. I had a quick look and apart from being so badly written they are unreadable, one 'Creation' praises Whitcomb and Morris and the other called 'Noahs Flood' is just bonkers rantings about Noahs flood being real.

I couldn't understand how they'd been published as they verge on illiteracy - but he seems to have published them himself - John Metcalfe Publishing. I guess he's local to Coventry given that? We have local authors pushing their books in our branch of Smiths and Waterstones.
cathy

Re: John Metcalfe books in WH Smiths - who is he?

Postby Michael » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:04 am

cathy wrote:Has anyone here heard of John Metcalfe. He seems to have some religious books in the religion and spirituality section of Coventry's WH Smiths. Two are clearly YEC books. I had a quick look and apart from being so badly written they are unreadable, one 'Creation' praises Whitcomb and Morris and the other called 'Noahs Flood' is just bonkers rantings about Noahs flood being real.

I couldn't understand how they'd been published as they verge on illiteracy - but he seems to have published them himself - John Metcalfe Publishing. I guess he's local to Coventry given that? We have local authors pushing their books in our branch of Smiths and Waterstones.

He's a fundie preachyman , who is on the board of truthinscince. Have a wobbler!!!!!!
Michael

Postby cathy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:36 am

who is on the board of truthinscince. Have a wobbler!!!!!!
Ah keen to get into schools. Would seem apparent from his mad rant in one book about schools. colleges and universities being so underwhelmed by the genesuis flood they ignored it.

Was only in that section to get a bible for a friends baby's christening (she asked for one) and it caught my eye. I moved both his creationist books from religion to 'spirituality' aka as the astrology, clairvoyance, cosmic magic stuff and ghosts section - for the sake of my Christian friends. It seemed better classified there. Then I moved it back knowing no sane person would buy it anyway wherever it was. There was no bin section.
cathy

Postby Roger Stanyard » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:01 am

Michael wrote:
cathy wrote:Has anyone here heard of John Metcalfe. He seems to have some religious books in the religion and spirituality section of Coventry's WH Smiths. Two are clearly YEC books. I had a quick look and apart from being so badly written they are unreadable, one 'Creation' praises Whitcomb and Morris and the other called 'Noahs Flood' is just bonkers rantings about Noahs flood being real.

He's a fundie preachyman , who is on the board of truthinscince. Have a wobbler!!!!!!

Yer, he father, a farmer, was the principal shareholder in Evangelical Times and an anti-Catholic creationist. Was with TiS, son took over later. IIRC he died a couple of years back. Not local to Coventry but North Country. Evangelical Times is a major publisher of cretinist stupidity. Has links to Fingers McIntosh, David Anderson and the BCS.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:58 am

Has anyone come across this one? Dr Vij Sodera. He seems to be on CMIs list of speakers now and I'd never heard of him.

Frightened the life out of me at first as kids have maths teacher with similar name but thankfully not him

www.onesmallspeck.com/DR_VIJ_SODERA.html
cathy

Postby Roger Stanyard » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:07 am

cathy wrote:Has anyone come across this one? Dr Vij Sodera. He seems to be on CMIs list of speakers now and I'd never heard of him.

Frightened the life out of me at first as kids have maths teacher with similar name but thankfully not him

http://www.onesmallspeck.com/DR_VIJ_SODERA.html

Yer, we know about him as well. Medical Dr (not a PhD).
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Peter Henderson » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:45 am

cathy wrote:Has anyone come across this one? Dr Vij Sodera. He seems to be on CMIs list of speakers now and I'd never heard of him.

Here he is in action with Philip Bell, Paul Garner, and Dr. David Rosevear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjThfkdA ... ure=relmfu

Might be worth looking at this just to familiar yourself with the claims.

These guys are very slick indeed and you can see why this kind of thing goes down well in evangelical churches in the UK.

For me Cathy, it's an entirely different form of Chrstianity (?) that I understand from reading the bible.
Peter Henderson

Postby Michael » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:30 am

Peter Henderson wrote:

Here he is in action with Philip Bell, Paul Garner, and Dr. David Rosevear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjThfkdA ... ure=relmfu

Might be worth looking at this just to familiar yourself with the claims.

These guys are very slick indeed and you can see why this kind of thing goes down well in evangelical churches in the UK.

For me Cathy, it's an entirely different form of Chrstianity (?) that I understand from reading the bible.

It's not Christianity
Michael

Postby Peter Henderson » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:35 am

It's not Christianity

Yes, indeed it isn't Michael.

If you watch part 3 there's a point were Garner and Sodera interpret scripture in light of young Earth creationism. None of what they say appears anywhere in the bible i.e. they go on about the fall affecting everything in the universe.
Peter Henderson

Postby Roger Stanyard » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:44 am

The same tired group of around 50-70 creationist activists always keeps cropping up.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby a_haworthroberts » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:23 pm

His website shows evidence of design - but definitely rather poor design.
a_haworthroberts

Postby a_haworthroberts » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:28 pm

"If you watch part 3 there's a point were Garner and Sodera interpret scripture in light of young Earth creationism. None of what they say appears anywhere in the bible i.e. they go on about the fall affecting everything in the universe."

Romans 8: 20-22? Though I agree that the exact meaning of the verses is open to debate (Answers in Creation seem to ignore these verses on their website when discussing YEC ideas).

The verses read in the NIV: "For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the freedom and glory of the children of God. We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time".
a_haworthroberts

Postby Peter Henderson » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:10 pm

The verses read in the NIV: "For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the freedom and glory of the children of God. We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time".

Depends of course as to whether you interpret the verses as literal or figurative.

There is certainly no mention of death inthe fossil record or the rest of the universe being "dragged down" (as Garner and Sodera put it in the video). He's probably hinting at the entropy nonsense and claims on the second law of thermodynamics.

As I say, a very, very, slick presentation and you can see why this type of thing appeals so much to evangelical Christians that are not well versed in science (and even to those that are).

Personally, I'd find it difficult to answer all the claims these four made in the video.

Notice Bell at one stage talked about "falible dating methods" when making his claims about Lucy.
Peter Henderson

Postby Michael » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:49 pm

a_haworthroberts wrote:"If you watch part 3 there's a point were Garner and Sodera interpret scripture in light of young Earth creationism. None of what they say appears anywhere in the bible i.e. they go on about the fall affecting everything in the universe."

Romans 8: 20-22? Though I agree that the exact meaning of the verses is open to debate (Answers in Creation seem to ignore these verses on their website when discussing YEC ideas).

The word in greek for creation is ktisis which can mean creation /cosmos or humanity. This has been known for years and developed on this passage in 1838 by the Rev Willaim Buckland , the oxford geologist who introduced the concept of Ice ages to britain. Very few commentators pick it up though
Michael

Postby a_haworthroberts » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:00 am

Some more names that the BCSE may or may not be familiar with:

http://www.crt.org.uk/about_us.htm
http://www.csm.org.uk/news.php?viewmessage=181 (Bill Cooper is a BA and is or was based in Portsmouth - not far from Genesis Expo - and was or is involved with the CSM, according to the www.creationism.org website)
http://www.creationresearch.org/speakers.htm (US based I think)
a_haworthroberts

Next

Return to Free For All