Two more creationist free schools approved

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Two more creationist free schools approved

Postby cathy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:02 pm

Grinden Hall private Christian school and Sevenoaks in Kent have also been approved alongside Examplar and
From thw Guardian
http://www.m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gnm/op ... education&
says
Creationist groups win Michael Gove's approval to open free schools

Education secretary backs three schools run by groups with creationist views, raising concerns about levels of scrutiny
The education secretary, Michael Gove, has approved three free schools run by groups with creationist views, including one with a document on its website declaring that it teaches "creation as a scientific theory".

Grindon Hall Christian school in Sunderland, a private school due to reopen in September with state funding, says on its website that it will present creationism as science and affirm the position that Christians believe God's creation of the world is "not just a theory but a fact".

Ministers have also approved a free school in Sevenoaks, Kent, that says on its website it will teach in RE classes that "God made the world", while a third free school, in Nottinghamshire, is a fresh proposal from a group initially turned down over creationism.

In the US, where the campaign for creationism has been stronger, the states of Louisiana and Tennessee have recently passed laws allowing the science underpinning evolution to be critiqued in the classroom. But the creationist lobby has been less successful in gaining a foothold in Britain.

Secular groups have been concerned that the free schools policy – which allows parents, charities or faith groups to set up new schools – would allow the state-funded teaching of creationism.

A decade ago, the Guardian revealed that fundamentalist Christians who did not believe in evolution had taken control of a state-funded school, Emmanuel College in Gateshead. The school was a city technology college, a form of independent but taxpayer-funded school which was a forerunner of academies and free schools.

Andrew Copson, chief executive of the British Humanist Association (BHA), said he was concerned that the government's scrutiny of free schools was inadequate. "Grindon Hall Christian school is a classic example of the so-called 'teach the controversy' approach, often used by American creationist groups to get creationism taught in schools," Copson said.

"The issue with the 'teach the controversy' approach is that there is no scientific controversy over evolution and creationism. The scientific consensus is overwhelmingly in favour of evolution."

Grindon Hall says it teaches evolution as "an established scientific principle, as far as it goes". However, the school's policy document adds: "We believe no scientific theory provides – or ever will provide – a satisfactory explanation of origins, ie why the world appeared, and how nothing became something in the first place."

The school's principal says this document is obsolete and the school would not teach creationism in science.

The Sevenoaks Christian school, due to open next year, says on its website: "The government has said that free schools cannot teach 'creationism' or 'intelligent design' in science lessons as an alternative to the theory of evolution and we are content to accept this."

A third free school approved by the government to open next year, the Exemplar-Newark Business academy, is a fresh proposal from a group whose previous application was turned down because of concerns over its teaching of creationism. Backers of the school in Nottinghamshire say creationism will be taught only in religious studies.

The Grindon Hall principal, Chris Gray, said the document on the school's website is "out of date". He said: "First of all, it's illegal. Secondly, we were questioned at length about it when we were interviewed to be a free school, and that was to the [Department for Education]'s satisfaction. A number of schools have been sadly turned down on that. That document is from a time when we were not as clear as we are now about the proper distinction as to what is taught in a science lesson and what might be taught in assembly – two different spheres.

"If children question for themselves their origins, that's what we want them to do – to ask sensible, responsible questions. Am I here by accident, or – dare I use the word – design?"

Sevenoaks Christian school said in a statement: "Sevenoaks Christian school are delighted to have been successful in their bid to open a free school in 2013.

"With the support of 800 local families and more than 20 local churches, our proposal is both popular and broad-based.

"We reject the BHA claims as misleading and unfounded. Free schools cannot teach creationism and we accept this."

On Friday, the DfE announced that 102 free schools had been approved to open from next year, 33 of which describe themselves as religious.

The department says creationism or intelligent design should not be taught as "valid scientific theories" in any state-funded school. The government says it expects to see evolution included in the science curriculum of all free schools.

A DfE spokeswoman said: "It is absolutely not true that this free school will be able to teach creationism as scientific fact. No state school is permitted to do this. We have clear guidelines about what schools can and cannot teach. Any free school found to be contravening the guidelines will be in breach of their contract and will be subject to action by the department, including prohibiting them from operating."

Faith-based free schools have sought to draw a clear public distinction between teaching creationism in science and teaching the biblical creation story in RE. The principal of Grindon Hall said he would not teach creationism in science lessons.

Gray said: "I'd run a million miles from that – it's lethal."

Referring to the Sevenoaks Christian school, the BHA said: "Teaching creationism in RE is no more acceptable than teaching it in science, as pupils who are taught one thing in one subject and then the opposite in another are going to end up confused. The previous government made this very clear in their guidance on creationism and it is deeply concerning to see the present government watering that down."

Grindon Hall looks a Gove style school.
http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/educ ... ins_free...

Its an existing private school but looks dodgy. In its links to visit it has Jesmond sermons
Link to the Scripture Union website.

> Visit

Sermons from Jesmond Parish Church – great sermons, many of which can be downloaded in mp3 format.

So much for Goves assurances that creationist groups would not piss taxpayers money away destroying childrens brains.

Aaaasrgh. First the Giants Causeway now this.

How thick is that man.
cathy

Re: Two more creationist free schools approved

Postby cathy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:29 pm

I'm about to start on a rant about idiot Gove, moronic wrecker of education and stupidist man on the planet. He makes creationists look not only intelligent but scientific.

He is the only person that can make Garner look like an intellectual and less dangerous. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

i'm off to bed before I do rant, but am too angry and upset to even read my book
cathy

Postby Moon Fire » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:34 pm

Must

Not

Damage

Borrowed

Laptop

By

Throwing

It

I'm a very cross bunny!
Moon Fire

Postby a_haworthroberts » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:30 am

http://bcseweb.blogspot.co.uk/

When I followed the links I found that Grindon Hall are naughty 'compromisers' when it comes to Creation:

"We will affirm the fact that “God created the world and everything in it”. We will affirm that he did so “ex nihilo” – out of nothing.
We believe that God, as sovereign Lord of the universe, is capable of creating the world in a few 24-hour days, or over a period of millions of years.
We do not share the rigid creationist’s insistence on a literalistic interpretation of the first chapters of Genesis. We believe it is honouring to, and consistent with a belief in, the inerrant Word of God to accept that the opening chapters of Genesis, as do many other places in Scripture, contain much that appears to be poetic. Thus, to insist on a literalistic interpretation of the passage(s) in question – which most Christians certainly do not feel obliged to do in regard to other instances of poetry and apocalyptic writings in the Bible - might in fact be very mistaken.
We are therefore very happy to believe that God could have created the world in six days. But we do not feel that it is helpful to affirm it as an unarguable fact.
We do not believe that the very plain evidence supporting a lengthy process of evolution needs to be challenged by Christians.
However, we vigorously challenge the unscientific certainty often claimed by scientists surrounding the so-called “Big Bang” and origins generally.
We believe that no scientific theory provides – or ever will provide – a satisfactory explanation of origins, i.e. why the world appeared, and how nothing became something in the first place.
We will teach evolution as an established scientific principle, as far as it goes.
We will teach creation as a scientific theory and we will always affirm very clearly our position as Christians, i.e. that Christians believe that God’s creation of the world is not just a theory but a fact with eternal consequences for our planet and for every person who has ever lived on it.
We will affirm that to believe in God’s creation of the world is an entirely respectable position scientifically and rationally."
a_haworthroberts

Postby a_haworthroberts » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:46 am

I've just read the text that Cathy pasted in from The Guardian website.

According to this text, the Principal of Grindon Hall School, Chris Gray, has stated - on the idea of teaching creationism in science lessons: "I'd run a million miles from that – it's lethal". Rather a different tone to that used as quoted in the preceding post - even though the document in question (linked to in today's BCSE blog) rejects a hardline, dogmatic, YEC interpretation.

It is also claimed that the article about Creation on the school's website - that which I quote from in the preceding post - is 'obsolete'. One hopes the bid would not have been approved by the DfE if it was not.
a_haworthroberts

Postby a_haworthroberts » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:02 pm

a_haworthroberts

Postby Moon Fire » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:12 pm

I've read it, it's a damning piece about whats happening at the moment.

I am seriously disgusted by whats happening in state education at the moment!
Moon Fire

Postby Roger Stanyard » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:58 pm

Moon Fire wrote:I've read it, it's a damning piece about whats happening at the moment.

I am seriously disgusted by whats happening in state education at the moment!

I'm aware of one planned street protest being planned against creationist schools. Can't say more as it's still under wraps.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby a_haworthroberts » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:25 am

Getting a feeling of deja vu
Getting a feeling of deja vu
http://creation.com/creation-religious-education
Anti-YEC hysteria in some places well matched by YEC hysteria.
Statham is I think misrepresenting the [Gove]rnment stance - that creationism should not be taught as having 'scientific validity'. Not that - in RE - the whole subject is 'taboo'.
Or have a missed a subsequent development that takes things further?
"Moreover, it is surely significant that all this is happening at a time when there have never been so many scientific facts challenging the Darwinian paradigm." Such as?
a_haworthroberts

Postby cathy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:17 pm

Anti-YEC hysteria in some places well matched by YEC hysteria.
Not sure there is such a thing as anti YEC hysteria. YECism is dangerous, that is beyond debate! Look at how it has screwed the brains of people who don't get away from it. Marc for example isn't stupid, and I doubt very much he really wants to put every thinking individual off god but he cannot break away from the stupidity of the sect he's been sucked into. And that is after all the benefits of a normal education.

YECism is dangerous.
cathy

Postby cathy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:26 pm

Todays Guardian is interesting as well. One of Goves flagship free schools, due for Sept, won't be opening due to lack of parental interest. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And thats not a creationist loon one either. Its just a illustration of how crap the whole free schools thing is. From the Guardian
schools programme, ministers have confirmed. Free schools are meant to prove evidence of parental demand before winning approval to set up.

Schools which receive approval are given state funding for the costs of building or converting premises.

The Department for Education has published details of the capital costs for the first wave of free schools, ranging from £177,500 to convert a private school to £6m for a primary school in north London.

The government also provides funds, known as "lead-in costs" so that the school's backers can develop detailed plans, including drawing up a curriculum, and recruit a headteacher.

The collapse of the Newham school emerged after the shadow education secretary, Stephen Twigg, asked, in a parliamentary question: "How many pupils have applied to join the Newham Free academy in September 2012?"

The schools minister, Nick Gibb, replied: "Following careful consideration, we have judged that the proposal to establish Newham Free academy has not progressed sufficiently for it to proceed to opening and it has been withdrawn from the free school programme."

The school was due to open with 180 places in each year group, and its founders claimed to have "developed large community links in Newham with many parents and families worried about secondary school provision in their local area."

The collapse of the school underlines concerns that the free schools programme is not sufficiently focused on areas of need.

A study by the thinktank RSA recently described free schools as an "unguided missile". It said: "The impact of free schools would be enhanced if they were developed strategically in localities where new places are needed or where there is school failure, rather than investing in extra capacity in areas where the school system is performing well."

In 2011 57% of 16-year-olds in Newham's state schools achieved five GCSE passes including English and maths, just below the national average of 58.9% – a remarkable achievement in the second most deprived borough in the country.

Labour has accused Michael Gove, the education secretary, of focusing on "pet projects".

Twigg said: "We have learned today that another free school plan has collapsed at the 11th hour – just weeks before the school was due to open. At a time when education funding is being cut by the biggest amount since the 1950s, the government must explain how much money has been spent on failed projects like these.

"Ministers need to get a grip on this programme to ensure money is not wasted on projects that are unlikely to succeed."

It emerged last month that Beccles Free school in Suffolk had just 37 applications for children to join in September. Demand is critical because funding depends on the number of pupils a school attracts.

The Newham school is backed by a private organisation, Redeemer Educational Services Ltd. The school's founders are listed on its website as Funmi Gbadeyan, a former headteacher and science teacher, and Sade Bright, a former councillor in Hackney, east London.

The school's website declares: "We are an ordinary group of people, parents and families who wish to open a new secondary school in Newham."

The school planned to make French, German, Spanish or Mandarin compulsory to 16, and all pupils would have done at least eight GCSEs, including history and science.

The backers proposed to divide pupils into houses to "foster interaction, unity, promote leadership skills and competition". It is not clear whether the school had found a site before it was dropped from the free schools programme.

The school's founders did not respond to a request for comment

That comes on top of his Beccles free school in Ipswich which managed to interest 37 parents despite have room for 270 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And it seems to be only now that anyone has bothered to criticise this policy. What the hell have labour been doing for two years. As for the evil lib dem liars, why did they do nothing to point out what a pile of poo it was. Oh silly me, cos Nick Clegg does what he's told, even when the tories poo on HIS pet projects like Lords reform he won't poo on theirs no matter how inane. Free schools was a no brainer pile of crap when Gove came out with it.

So if the normals aren't generating sufficient interest how well are the creationist ones going to do? I suspect Exemplar will be ok, not cos parents want it particularly but because I suspect it is in an area where there is a shortage so some folk will have no options but to attend. Not to sure about the other two yet tho.

Still they'll have the money I suppose - thats always a bonus to creationists. Our money.Real kids money, special needs money, repairs money, teaching assistants money, teachers money, smaller subjects money. money that should have gone to education going to indoctrination :evil: :evil: All going to creationist loons in Newark when it could have funded additional places in real schools :evil: :evil: !!!

We did note today in the staff room that gormless Gove looks gormless in every photo of him now. He has started to look like what he is. That is really strange isn't it? But I'm just miffed cos someone beat me to drawing horns on him and writing gormless above Gove in the headline.
cathy

Postby Peter Henderson » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:47 pm

Surely the "Altenberg 16: An Exposé of the Evolution Industry" by Suzan Mazur should be added to Glenn Morton's list ?

http://sciblogs.co.nz/open-parachute/20 ... -of-depth/

http://sandwalk.blogspot.co.uk/2009/10/ ... ustry.html

http://home.entouch.net/dmd/moreandmore.htm

The Imminent Demise of Evolution:
The Longest Running Falsehood in Creationism

In recent reading of Dembski and other ID proponents I saw them make a claim which has been made for over 40 years. This claim is one that the young-earthers have been making. The claim is that the theory of evolution (or major supporting concepts for it) is increasingly being abandoned by scientists, or is about to fall. This claim has many forms and has been made for over 178 years. This is a compilation of the claims over time. The purpose of this compilation is three-fold. First, it is to show that the claim has been made for a long, long time. Secondly, it is to show that entire careers have passed without seeing any of this movement away from evolution. Third, it is to show that the creationists are merely making these statements for the purpose of keeping hope alive that they are making progress towards their goal. In point of fact, no such progress is being made as anyone who has watched this area for the last 40 years can testify. The claim is false as history and present-day events show, yet that doesn't stop anyone wanting to sell books from making that claim. Now for the claims in chronological order
Peter Henderson

Postby Roger Stanyard » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:49 pm

cathy wrote:

So if the normals aren't generating sufficient interest how well are the creationist ones going to do? I suspect Exemplar will be ok, not cos parents want it particularly but because I suspect it is in an area where there is a shortage so some folk will have no options but to attend. Not to sure about the other two yet tho.

The matter isn't over yet, Cathy. What happens if there are street demonstrations in Newark against the school? It'll get a bad name before it ever opens its doors.

Through the grapevine, may I suggest you watch the Andrew Marr Show on Sunday morning.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:50 pm

OK
cathy

Next

Return to Free For All