Two more creationist free schools approved

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Two more creationist free schools approved

Postby cathy » Fri May 10, 2013 2:13 pm

And it would appear the other free school with feared creationist ideals in Sevenoaks is all set to open for September under the name Trinity School

www.trinitysevenoaks.org.uk/

It would appear the only policy they have in place is admissions!! Normal schools have to have anti bullying, equal opps, sex ed, pay, staffing and uncle tom cobley and all policies in place. Not free schools.

Tried to look at their prospectus - nothing dodgy except where and why did they get the student photos from a school that won't exist till Sept and then will only have little year sevens. That really annoys about free schools - the fake photos. All other real schools have pictures of their own real pupils doing real things in their real uniforms not made up ones from rent a happy pupil.
cathy

Postby Brian Jordan » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:19 pm

cathy wrote:looks like exemplars website is up and running after they were granted permission to open this Sept.
http://www.enba.co.uk/

Though for some reason they've deferred opening until Sept
Public consultation period expired on the 3rd March 2013. Thank you for your feedback which is currently being assessed in conjunction with the DfE. Meantime, the decision has been taken to defer opening the school till September 2014.

Lack of interest? Need time to develop a more appealing curriculum?
More complicated, although lack of interest is probably a component - it seems rather as if they got no first choices, all the pupils having other schools in their preferences. Then the new head they appointed changed his mind. :D Then they still have no solid building plans...http://newarkadvertiser.co.uk/articles/news/School-opening-delayed
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:51 pm

More complicated, although lack of interest is probably a component - it seems rather as if they got no first choices, all the pupils having other schools in their preferences. Then the new head they appointed changed his mind. Then they still have no solid building plans...http://newarkadvertiser.co.uk/articles/ ... ng-delayed

Thats very interesting!!! Most parents still do get their first choices if they choose carefully. And even when they don't - in many places, if you are clearly high up on the admissions criteria for one school, you can risk putting it lower down the list and at least try for a school you want but may have less chance of getting. I knew that I could get our local school even if I didn't put it on my list so my first choices were my real first choices!

So it is possible that parents didn't want to risk losing a sure fire place by putting Exemplar higher, but much more likely it just wasn't their first preference?? Hmm. Tho to be honest, going for a totally untested brand new school run by people with no experience is always going to be a huge risk.
cathy

Re:

Postby a_haworthroberts » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:34 pm

Slightly off-topic (I am unable to post at News and Links) - some news from the US:
A White House Petition to Ban Creationism
http://sensuouscurmudgeon.wordpress.com ... /#comments
http://www.christianpost.com/news/white ... ols-98243/

People like Ham think people who are convinced that YECs persistently and consistently lie about science should be more tolerant of YECs.

Why?

It's a question of truth not of tolerance.
a_haworthroberts

Postby Brian Jordan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:48 pm

The latest "Free" schools list has been published by the DfE. The BHA suggests that the creationists have drawn their horns in. The article has links to the list which I haven't followed yet.
http://humanism.org.uk/2013/07/01/government-publishes-list-of-proposed-free-schools-for-2014/
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Brian Jordan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:00 pm

This has been taken up by the Torygraph. They haven't, so far as I can see, credited that the analysis was done by the BHA. However, to compensate there's a large photograph of a benign, avuncular-looking gent - suitable to grace anyone's loo wall.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/creationist-free-school-applications-plummet-8682202.html The only comments relate to the accompanying news that Uncle has decreed that school holiday dates should be randomised.
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:20 pm

They haven't, so far as I can see, credited that the analysis was done by the BHA.
Well they haven't credited BCSE either and neither has BHA. As far as I'm concerned you lot have had a far bigger hand in this victory of reduction in creationist loony schools applying as them.

As far as I can see BCSE has done a hell of a lot of the leg work in making DfE aware of the creationist threat. And warning off schools that try to get creationist links after approval. BHA didn't notice Grindon Hall sneaking onto CST lists for example, nor the world around us websites claims. And yet neither article has credited you which I'm really annoyed about. Given this is the only organisation that is actually grounded in reality.

Plus BHA can't resist embedding it in their usual bit of anti faith schools propaganda - without really explaining how faith schools come to be full of atheists all happily denouncing the devil and all his works for GCSEs nor offering any alternative to crap local schools for parents to use. And without really referencing too many facts.

But this is very good news and all credit to BCSE for being a major, if not THE major player.
cathy

Postby cathy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:27 pm

Just tried to go to the Christian Schools Trust Website, something that has never caused problems before AND though it comes on google when you go onto the link it goes to virgin media message
Christianschoolstrust.co.uk is unavailable or may not exist.

Trying not to get too happy - could it have curled up and died? Or is it just a temporary thing. Please, please, please let it have died an unnatural and painful death.
cathy

Postby cathy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:39 pm

Can't even by accessed via the link on the Bridge Schools Inspectorate website!!!!!! Unfortunately I'm guessing it is just temporarily unavailable but can always hope. Must admit the last time I checked their prayer requests (as they're good guide to possible free school links) they were praying cos of fragile numbers in a lot of their schools.

However, I'm also wondering whether this could be a deliberate ploy to remove themselves from public view, let the dust settle and then re-apply. We do have lists of their current schools? Just in case that is their tricksy little plan?
cathy

Postby cathy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:47 pm

Ooh and Bethany school is looking for a new headteacher from Sept 2014. Can't access CST from the link there either.
cathy

Postby Brian Jordan » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:41 am

CST have failed to pay to renew their domain, which expired at the end of the month. It is now flagged as "suspended". It only costs a few pounds so it's probably an oversight or technical problems: I once lost an unused domain I owned because I couldn't get anyone to take my money!
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:30 pm

Sadly my joy was premature. It is back in its full dishonest glory. Heres me thinking Sylv and co might have finally developed consciences - silly, silly, silly Cathy. :( :( :( :( :(
cathy

Postby cathy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:32 am

Meanwhile back in the real world Gove confirms just how little he actually knows about what goes on in his real schools.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23191048
cathy

Re: Free school applications

Postby a_haworthroberts » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:44 pm

a_haworthroberts

Re:

Postby a_haworthroberts » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:17 pm

Something else I plan to check out when I have a moment (not about free schools but about teaching creationism and whether it should or could be banned):
http://iloveyoubutyouregoingtohell.org/ ... -rebuttal/
a_haworthroberts

Previous

Return to Free For All