Dr Richard Kent

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Dr Richard Kent

Postby Roger Stanyard » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:13 pm

It transpires that Dr Richard Kent, my local creationist wackjob, is far, far more extreme than I thought. He's at the extremes of religious fundamentalism, basically one of the Rapture brigade (a death wish cult) and obsessed with the bizarre Book of Revelation. He things that Christ will return during his lifetime (he's retired, btw) and two thirds of the world's population with be killed for not holding his religious opinions. Most will be beheaded (I'm not making this up). None of this seems to worry him as we can all escape by accepting his opinions. Apparently if we accept evolutionary biology and mainstream geology, or ar Catholic, we'll get our heads severed from our bodies for our efforts. He's the first such Rapturite extremist I've come across in the UK but there are loads in the USA. Here's a video where he is promoting such stuff - http://www.freechristianteaching.org/mo ... z23Rd8Cjw1

His web site is full of this sort of stuff.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Re: Dr Richard Kent

Postby Moon Fire » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:44 pm

Roger Stanyard wrote:It transpires that Dr Richard Kent, my local creationist wackjob, is far, far more extreme than I thought. He's at the extremes of religious fundamentalism, basically one of the Rapture brigade (a death wish cult) and obsessed with the bizarre Book of Revelation. He things that Christ will return during his lifetime (he's retired, btw) and two thirds of the world's population with be killed for not holding his religious opinions. Most will be beheaded (I'm not making this up). None of this seems to worry him as we can all escape by accepting his opinions. Apparently if we accept evolutionary biology and mainstream geology, or ar Catholic, we'll get our heads severed from our bodies for our efforts. He's the first such Rapturite extremist I've come across in the UK but there are loads in the USA. Here's a video where he is promoting such stuff - http://www.freechristianteaching.org/mo ... z23Rd8Cjw1

Thats not the former medical doctor that thinks that fire breathing dragons were dions that breathed so fast that their nostrils smoked is it?
Moon Fire

Postby Roger Stanyard » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:42 am

Moon Fire wrote:
Roger Stanyard wrote:It transpires that Dr Richard Kent, my local creationist wackjob, is far, far more extreme than I thought. He's at the extremes of religious fundamentalism, basically one of the Rapture brigade (a death wish cult) and obsessed with the bizarre Book of Revelation. He things that Christ will return during his lifetime (he's retired, btw) and two thirds of the world's population with be killed for not holding his religious opinions. Most will be beheaded (I'm not making this up). None of this seems to worry him as we can all escape by accepting his opinions. Apparently if we accept evolutionary biology and mainstream geology, or ar Catholic, we'll get our heads severed from our bodies for our efforts. He's the first such Rapturite extremist I've come across in the UK but there are loads in the USA. Here's a video where he is promoting such stuff - http://www.freechristianteaching.org/mo ... z23Rd8Cjw1

Thats not the former medical doctor that thinks that fire breathing dragons were dions that breathed so fast that their nostrils smoked is it?

Yep, that's the one.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Moon Fire » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:16 am

Roger Stanyard wrote:
Moon Fire wrote:Thats not the former medical doctor that thinks that fire breathing dragons were dions that breathed so fast that their nostrils smoked is it?

Yep, that's the one.

>.<

You'd think a medical doctor would know better..........oh well, another case of Mortons Demon!
Moon Fire

Postby Roger Stanyard » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:29 am

Moon Fire wrote:
Roger Stanyard wrote:
Moon Fire wrote:Thats not the former medical doctor that thinks that fire breathing dragons were dions that breathed so fast that their nostrils smoked is it?

Yep, that's the one.

>.<

You'd think a medical doctor would know better..........oh well, another case of Mortons Demon!

The really odd thing I find about the man is that he seems to act as if there is nothing "wrong" with several billion people being beheaded. He seems to think they deserve it. There's a stunning contradiction in the man. he comes over as genial yet underneath his views are no different from the Nazis who think the Jews deserved to die. Ironically he does some valuable charitable work whilst promoting and believing in a vile death cult.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Moon Fire » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:52 am

Roger Stanyard wrote:
Moon Fire wrote:>.<

The really odd thing I find about the man is that he seems to act as if there is nothing "wrong" with several billion people being beheaded. He seems to think they deserve it. There's a stunning contradiction in the man. he comes over as genial yet underneath his views are no different from the Nazis who think the Jews deserved to die. Ironically he does some valuable charitable work whilst promoting and believing in a vile death cult.

Yeah, I know what you mean. As a 'dirty non believer' I know I'm one of the people he'd have no issues with beheading, yet I've done significant charity work in the past and I continue to do things to support good causes etc. It just highlights the lunacy of his ideas!
Moon Fire

Postby Roger Stanyard » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:18 am

Moon Fire wrote:
Yeah, I know what you mean. As a 'dirty non believer' I know I'm one of the people he'd have no issues with beheading, yet I've done significant charity work in the past and I continue to do things to support good causes etc. It just highlights the lunacy of his ideas!

Fortunately Richard Kent appears to have very little support locally. The fundamentalist church he belong to is tiny and has no premises of its own. It also appears that most of his (and its) street proselytising is done in Cosham which is a residential (and small) suburb of Portsmouth. I can't imagine him getting many converts there. My guess is that his church is just a tiny group of maybe a couple of families or so and the pastor he works with. It seems to be far too extreme to have any connection with the Creation Science Movement based in Portsmouth.

I wouldn't worry at all about what Kent thinks about other people's religious views. There is nothing the fundamentalists hate more than other fundamentalists. They always end up falling out. Their enemies are each other, not you and me. it's built in to what they "believe".
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby eurohatim » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:58 pm

Back in the 70s I was a regular at the Kents' house meetings in Bishop's Stortford. I was an impressionable teenager and Val was a dishy young nurse. It must have been soon after their conversion, but they (or he rather) were already self-styled spiritual leaders. I recall being impressed by their relative affluence and, even in those days, curious as to how Richard could reconcile his day job as GP in our local surgery with his extreme messianic views. Another regular I remember was one of the King's Singers. He was a big disappointment to us, since he could never bring himself to sing spontaneously in the Spirit, meekly explaining that there was nothing spontaneous about his professional singing. But this was God's gift, we argued, how could he not use it to praise Him?
eurohatim

Postby Brian Jordan » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:09 pm

Welcome to the forum, eurohatim.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Peter Henderson » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:11 pm

eurohatim wrote:Back in the 70s I was a regular at the Kents' house meetings in Bishop's Stortford. I was an impressionable teenager and Val was a dishy young nurse. It must have been soon after their conversion, but they (or he rather) were already self-styled spiritual leaders. I recall being impressed by their relative affluence and, even in those days, curious as to how Richard could reconcile his day job as GP in our local surgery with his extreme messianic views. Another regular I remember was one of the King's Singers. He was a big disappointment to us, since he could never bring himself to sing spontaneously in the Spirit, meekly explaining that there was nothing spontaneous about his professional singing. But this was God's gift, we argued, how could he not use it to praise Him?

These days Dr. Kent believes in SNC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9w26JXXpWU
Peter Henderson

Return to Free For All