Paul Garner mysteriously disappearing?

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Paul Garner mysteriously disappearing?

Postby Peter Henderson » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:36 pm

Not so mysteriously disappearing:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/outreac ... ntry=%21US

UK Creation Mega Conference

Bethel Convention Centre in West Bromwich, West Midlands

September 4 - 6

Ken Ham, Steve Ham, Brian Edwards, Stuart Burgess, Andy McIntosh , John Mackay, Paul Garner, Ray Comfort, Steve Lloyd

http://www.answersingenesis.org/outreach/event/UKMega/

Sept. 4, 2014 to Sept. 6, 2014 in West Bromwich, West Midlands

with Ken Ham, Steve Ham, Brian Edwards, Prof. Stuart Burgess, Prof. Andy McIntosh , John Mackay, Paul Garner, Ray Comfort, Steve Lloyd

The UK Creation Mega Conference will bring together creationist speakers from different organisations and will feature a plethora of acclaimed speakers from the UK and around the world.

Join us as we stand our ground against the lies of our day and proclaim the truth for the glory of Christ!
Peter Henderson

Postby a_haworthroberts » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:55 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:Not so mysteriously disappearing:

September 4 - 6

Ken Ham, Steve Ham, Brian Edwards, Stuart Burgess, Andy McIntosh , John Mackay, Paul Garner, Ray Comfort, Steve Lloyd

with Ken Ham, Steve Ham, Brian Edwards, Prof. Stuart Burgess, Prof. Andy McIntosh , John Mackay, Paul Garner, Ray Comfort, Steve Lloyd

The UK Creation Mega Conference will bring together creationist speakers from different organisations and will feature a plethora of acclaimed speakers from the UK and around the world.

Join us as we stand our ground against the lies of our day and proclaim the truth for the glory of Christ!

Good grief.

The capacity of the auditorium is 2,500.
http://www.bethelconventioncentre.co.uk/
a_haworthroberts

Postby cathy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:03 pm

For one awful moment I thought it was going to be in Brum but its West Bromwich so to far away. Right in the heart of the black countraay. Them'll not be able to oonderstand a word.
cathy

Postby a_haworthroberts » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:42 pm

Aynuk and Ayli country.
a_haworthroberts

Postby cathy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:11 pm

Still no apologies or corrections from Paul Garner on his blog!! What a shock. He is maligned, bcse corrects itself and apologies. bcse is maligned Paul ignores it tsk tsk. How very unchristian but very creationist.

However it would appear that Origins the journal of the biblical creation society (more Hello than Nature in substance) has published a review of Paul's Set in Stone. That is the latest issue of Origins the Nov 2013, hot off the presses. It's been written by David Tyler (as have most to of the articles in 'Origins') and isn't very accurate given all the info David Tyler must have picked up when it was reviewed for Amazon.co.uk

This DVD provides a major challenge as it informs the understanding of viewers. The challenge is to deeply held convictions that we can reconstruct the geological history of our island by reference to modern-day processes. There are historical and intellectual roots to the consensus approach that prevails in school and university textbooks. These roots go back to social cultures and philosophical stances adopted by the Victorians. We see the world through their eyes to this day. By visiting various locations around the UK, and by looking at evidences found in the rocks, the presenters demonstrate that alternative perspectives are not only possible but are necessary to do justice to the data. My interest in these issues has led me to visit all the locations featured in the DVD – with the exception of Giant’s Causeway. However, I have seen similar basalt flows on Mull and on Skye. The presenters do a good job in pointing out relevant data and showing that the present is not the key to the past. Over the years, I have heard geological speakers at professional meetings bring out all the radical ideas that viewers encounter in the DVD. The difference is that these speakers consider geological history to be long periods of relative quiet punctuated by catastrophic events. In this, they follow Professor Derek Ager in thinking that earth history is like the life of a soldier: ‘Long periods of boredom and short periods of terror’. This DVD finds that the evidence is on the side of catastrophism. The publisher explains it this way: “Were the rocks around us formed slowly and gradually – or suddenly during catastrophic events? Did the history of the world unfold over vast eras of time or much shorter periods? And what do the rocks really tell us about the geological history of our world?” This DVD has evidence-based answers and has the potential to do much good in the world of education. Students find stimulus in questioning alternative explanations of the data. The extensive references to literature in the transcript booklet will be of considerable value with follow-up study – helping budding geologists feel more confident that they will not be asking stupid questions if they continue to examine evidences for the Earth’s catastrophic past.

I'm sure David must have picked up several criticisms from his review for Amazon, eg from Steve Moreton, Ashley, Cheradine etc. He seems to have missed them out! Why? Surely such an august journal as Origins would have included them.

Anyway there you have it. David's review of Pauls dvd. As a critique he's visited the spots mentioned (lucky him) so more a holiday diary than critical review of geology really. Tsk tsk, not what I'd expect from a journal. I have visited lots of places too but not the Giants Causeway, I guess that makes me a geologist. They were nice and rocky.
cathy

Postby Roger Stanyard » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:42 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:Not so mysteriously disappearing:

September 4 - 6

It's the same old tired names (although I can't recall a Brian Edwards) but doesn't appear to have anyone from Creation Ministries International appearing. (splitters!) So, presumbably CMI and AiG still hate each other's guts.

Forgot to add: C4ID appears to be absent. Presumably they don't want to be involved with the YEC nutters because it's bad for business. Splitters!
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Steve660 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:14 pm

cathy wrote:Still no apologies or corrections from Paul Garner on his blog!! What a shock. He is maligned, bcse corrects itself and apologies. bcse is maligned Paul ignores it tsk tsk. How very unchristian but very creationist.

However it would appear that Origins the journal of the biblical creation society (more Hello than Nature in substance) has published a review of Paul's Set in Stone. That is the latest issue of Origins the Nov 2013, hot off the presses. It's been written by David Tyler (as have most to of the articles in 'Origins') and isn't very accurate given all the info David Tyler must have picked up when it was reviewed for Amazon.co.uk

This DVD provides a major challenge as it informs the understanding of viewers. The challenge is to deeply held convictions that we can reconstruct the geological history of our island by reference to modern-day processes. There are historical and intellectual roots to the consensus approach that prevails in school and university textbooks. These roots go back to social cultures and philosophical stances adopted by the Victorians. We see the world through their eyes to this day. By visiting various locations around the UK, and by looking at evidences found in the rocks, the presenters demonstrate that alternative perspectives are not only possible but are necessary to do justice to the data. My interest in these issues has led me to visit all the locations featured in the DVD – with the exception of Giant’s Causeway. However, I have seen similar basalt flows on Mull and on Skye. The presenters do a good job in pointing out relevant data and showing that the present is not the key to the past. Over the years, I have heard geological speakers at professional meetings bring out all the radical ideas that viewers encounter in the DVD. The difference is that these speakers consider geological history to be long periods of relative quiet punctuated by catastrophic events. In this, they follow Professor Derek Ager in thinking that earth history is like the life of a soldier: ‘Long periods of boredom and short periods of terror’. This DVD finds that the evidence is on the side of catastrophism. The publisher explains it this way: “Were the rocks around us formed slowly and gradually – or suddenly during catastrophic events? Did the history of the world unfold over vast eras of time or much shorter periods? And what do the rocks really tell us about the geological history of our world?” This DVD has evidence-based answers and has the potential to do much good in the world of education. Students find stimulus in questioning alternative explanations of the data. The extensive references to literature in the transcript booklet will be of considerable value with follow-up study – helping budding geologists feel more confident that they will not be asking stupid questions if they continue to examine evidences for the Earth’s catastrophic past.

I'm sure David must have picked up several criticisms from his review for Amazon, eg from Steve Moreton, Ashley, Cheradine etc. He seems to have missed them out! Why? Surely such an august journal as Origins would have included them.

Anyway there you have it. David's review of Pauls dvd. As a critique he's visited the spots mentioned (lucky him) so more a holiday diary than critical review of geology really. Tsk tsk, not what I'd expect from a journal. I have visited lots of places too but not the Giants Causeway, I guess that makes me a geologist. They were nice and rocky.

Not surprised Tyler would ignore the criticisms. Typical creationist, dishonest to the core. For the record I HAVE visited the Giant's Causeway (and Mull, and Skye, and Siccar Point - 4 times, and Mam Tor).
Steve660

Postby a_haworthroberts » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:00 pm

Brian H Edwards has been a fundamentalist Christian preacher for many years. He may be fairly new to YEC-ism (as far as I know he has NO scientific training).
http://www.brianedwards.org.uk/#/welcome/4518965724
http://www.answersingenesis.org/outreac ... associate/
a_haworthroberts

Postby Peter Henderson » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:11 pm

a_haworthroberts wrote:Brian H Edwards has been a fundamentalist Christian preacher for many years. He may be fairly new to YEC-ism (as far as I know he has NO scientific training).

Ken Ham seems to think Brian Edwards is widely known in evangelical circles here.

Personally, I'd never heard of him until Ham mentioned him.
Peter Henderson

Postby Peter Henderson » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:15 pm

This DVD provides a major challenge as it informs the understanding of viewers. The challenge is to deeply held convictions that we can reconstruct the geological history of our island by reference to modern-day processes. There are historical and intellectual roots to the consensus approach that prevails in school and university textbooks

Why hasn't Paul Garner presented this DVD to the Geological Society yett ? If it represents a paradigm shift in how we view and teach geology then surely the Society would be interested ?

Or is Mr. Garner simply pissing in the wind ?
Peter Henderson

Re: Brian H Edwards

Postby a_haworthroberts » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:51 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:
a_haworthroberts wrote:Brian H Edwards has been a fundamentalist Christian preacher for many years. He may be fairly new to YEC-ism (as far as I know he has NO scientific training).

Ken Ham seems to think Brian Edwards is widely known in evangelical circles here.

Personally, I'd never heard of him until Ham mentioned him.

I heard him preach a hell-fire type gospel sermon at Westminster Chapel sometime in the late eighties. I thought he seemed to be enjoying himself a bit too much in telling any unconverted sinners present how dire their predicament was. I recall a phrase like "and it gets even worse". But perhaps I am drawing too many conclusions from just one sermon. (I also found Dr R T Kendall, the former minister there, a bit manipulative and 'creepy' - but I still listened to him countless times over a 12 year period up to the start of 1995, during which he mentioned that Earth was '6,000' years old only once.)
a_haworthroberts

Postby Brian Jordan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:22 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:
Why hasn't Paul Garner presented this DVD to the Geological Society yett ? If it represents a paradigm shift in how we view and teach geology then surely the Society would be interested ?
Interested? If they believed he'd really revolutionised geology they'd surely sponsor him for a Ph.D.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby jon_12091 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:17 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:
This DVD provides a major challenge as it informs the understanding of viewers. The challenge is to deeply held convictions that we can reconstruct the geological history of our island by reference to modern-day processes. There are historical and intellectual roots to the consensus approach that prevails in school and university textbooks

Except it isn't a paradigm shift or anything like. Its a disused scientific band wagon dressed up in an ideologically sound manner for the consumption of creationists. Pimping 'catastrophism' as something new in geology is like describing U2 as an 'up and coming band'. And it hardly challenges the concept of the present is the key to the past or don't catastrophies happen now? (but we of course we know thats code for global floods don't happen anymore!)
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Previous

Return to Free For All