Purdom lies about Attenborough

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Re:

Postby a_haworthroberts » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:49 pm

In the Yahoo article Attenborough is quoted as saying:
"We stopped natural selection as soon as we started being able to rear 95% - 99% of our babies that are born" and he suggests that humans are no longer evolving.

I'm not sure that all biologists agree (Steve Jones does). In some cases babies who now survive to adulthood because of recent medical advances do not end up producing offspring eg because of physical or mental handicap or because of a shortened lifespan (or some may choose not to have children because they are told there's a 50% chance any children will inherit a specific genetic disease or mutation that they possess).

Also, if humans have stopped evolving genetically is that necessarily a bad thing?

Attenborough is not advocating eugenics even if that may be logical implication from some of his reported remarks. His main concern as far as I know is overpopulation on a planet of ultimately limited resources.
a_haworthroberts

Ham on Attenborough

Postby a_haworthroberts » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:35 pm

Now Ken Ham has pitched in on his Facebook page:

"Well known and inconsistent evolutionist claims:
"Human beings have stopped evolving and should be persuaded not to have large families, Sir David Attenborough has said."
Why should he even care! He's 87 and near the end of his life and has totally rejected God--so he believes when he dies he ceases to exist--which means life is meaningless anyway. So why does he care what happens to humans? Why does he even to bother to make such ridiculous statements in this article?
Well I guess he's doing this to promote his latest two-part anti-God series, The Rise of Animals, which begins on BBC2 on 20 September, promising a "500m [million year] journey" exploring the rise of the vertebrates. He wants to try to brainwash more people into believing his meaningless religion.
Christians need to 'be fruitful and multiply' and produce Godly offspring who will be light and salt in this world to spread the truth of God's Word and the gospel.
We need to pray for David Attenborough--he will meet his Creator in the not too near future as he is toward the end of his life! Pray the Lord convicts him concerning his need of salvation."

What nonsense - that an atheist/agnostic should not even care about humanity's future. People like Ham do not understand people who disagree with them - they just try to label them and/or find a condemnatory Bible verse and apply it to them.

Careful Ken - don't disagree with Attenborough and suggest that humans are still evolving.

Ham does not repeat the 'eugenics' claim of Purdom.
a_haworthroberts

Re: Purdom lies about Attenborough

Postby jon_12091 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:15 pm

Of course concepts of 'environmental impact' and 'sustainability' are an anathema to, largely US, right-wing political Christians! And of course it entirely suits the purposes of creationists to make a straw of man Attenborough's comments. Someone should Purdom a link to the Wikipedia article on Godwin's law...
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Postby EvoAnth » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:08 pm

Attenborough is wrong about the fact humans have stopped evolving, but other than that he puts forwards some pretty solid opinions.

For example, he points out that humans probably won't go extinct as a result of over-population. We're smart and adaptable after all. However, we're unlikely to be flourishing in the environment over-population leaves us with.
EvoAnth

Postby Brian Jordan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:49 pm

Welcome to the forum, EvoAnth.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Re: new Purdom book

Postby a_haworthroberts » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:26 am

Anyone planning to read this?
http://www.nlpg.com/galapagos-islands
a_haworthroberts

Re:

Postby a_haworthroberts » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:30 am

a_haworthroberts

Postby Brian Jordan » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:49 pm

Why would we plan to read rubbish like that, unless someone were to draw new ridiculous claims therein to our notice?
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Peter Henderson » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:21 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:Why would we plan to read rubbish like that, unless someone were to draw new ridiculous claims therein to our notice?

Young Earth creationism isn't a "worldview" Brian, whatever that means.
Peter Henderson

Postby Brian Jordan » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:56 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:
Brian Jordan wrote:Why would we plan to read rubbish like that, unless someone were to draw new ridiculous claims therein to our notice?

Sorry Peter, you've lost me. Would we want to read creationist nonsense even if it were a "worldview"? Certainly we need to know what they are saying but since they sing the same songs most of the time, their emissions need screening. It was fun for instance to read recently of the creationist claim that Noah and family "had to [and did!] deal with 12 million tons of manure every day" but we can't waste time on debunking the usual same old rubbish over and over again. That needs a one-off compilation of creationist folly and the debunking thereof.
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Peter Henderson » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:21 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:
Peter Henderson wrote:

Sorry Peter, you've lost me. Would we want to read creationist nonsense even if it were a "worldview"? Certainly we need to know what they are saying but since they sing the same songs most of the time, their emissions need screening. It was fun for instance to read recently of the creationist claim that Noah and family "had to [and did!] deal with 12 million tons of manure every day" but we can't waste time on debunking the usual same old rubbish over and over again. That needs a one-off compilation of creationist folly and the debunking thereof.

It's just that the book Ashley linked to is "war of the worldviews" Brian. Now I've no idea what a "worldview" is, or is this the YECs attempt to conflate YECism with Christianity ?
Peter Henderson

Re: Purdom etc

Postby a_haworthroberts » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:56 pm

I wasn't meaning to imply that any of you (or I) ought to read either the new YEC 'Galapagos Islands' book or 'War of the Worldviews'. I was really trying to flag the books' existence. Someone may post a review at Amazon.com before long. In fact, I see that the latter book is not new and reviews already exist.
http://www.amazon.com/War-World-Views-K ... ewpoints=1
a_haworthroberts

Previous

Return to Free For All