Free Schools list for 2014

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Free Schools list for 2014

Postby cathy » Wed May 22, 2013 11:47 am

Here is the latest wave of free schools approved for Sept 2014. Don't know if any are dodgy, religious affiliations strangely absent.

www.guardian.co.uk/education/2013/may/f ... -list-2014
cathy

Re: Free Schools list for 2014

Postby Brian Jordan » Wed May 22, 2013 5:13 pm

Ah, that's the Grauniad Dilemma - how to be right-on and religious at the same time!
The BHA has no such problem and has published a list of the 25 religious ones: http://humanism.org.uk/2013/05/22/government-approves-25-new-religious-free-schools/ including also a Rudolf Steiner School of Woolly Thinking.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby jon_12091 » Thu May 23, 2013 11:14 am

On the Christian side you can strike out the CoE, RC and the Oasis ones (likely safe given Steve Chalke's views on Gensis though previously flagged for somewhat excessive social conservatism) as probably not of interest. Of the remainder a 2-3 have names that would make want to check them out immediately.
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Postby cathy » Thu May 23, 2013 3:29 pm

On the Christian side you can strike out the CoE, RC and the Oasis ones (likely safe given Steve Chalke's views on Gensis though previously flagged for somewhat excessive social conservatism) as probably not of interest. Of the remainder a 2-3 have names that would make want to check them out immediately.

checked them against the CST list to ensure no more Grindon Halls creep in thru the back door. But very difficult to judge. The transforming lives for Good seems to be alternative provision which is Gove free school speak for PRU as far as I can tell?

The Islamic ones also worrying given they are starting forays into creationism. Will that be checked.

Is anyone monitoring it besides us and the BHA? Don't have a huge amount of trust or confidence in the BHA - which leaves just bcse.
cathy

Postby cathy » Thu May 23, 2013 4:26 pm

Checking the remainder on the list.
Chetwynde is an existing idependent schools and a member of ISI (independent schools inspectorate). It says it is non denominational with christian ethos which means nothing really. I can't see any immediate reason why it is on the list other than it was opened in 1938 by the sisters of the sacred heart of mary - which sounds RC if anything? Doesn't seem to look odd and it is inspected by ISI rather than BSI (sylvs lot) also fees more in line with academic rather than creationist loon school.

Likewise the Queen Elizabeths grammar. Independent and member of ISI. Doesn't seem to be particularly loony on superficial viewing.

Not too sure why either of the above feature on the list?

Difficult to work anything out about Canary Wharf other than mention of Christian environment.

Burnley high school on the other hand I don't like the look of. It seems to be a partnership between something called Chapel Street Community (new to me but some kind of charity?) and The Life Church Burnley. The Chapel Street community seems to be a national charity that has already sponsored two other free schools (Atherton and Tyndale). It is also involved in one other school on the list - the Raynes School in Wimbledon.

I'm not sure I liked the look of the Life Church which is the other partner. Jeff Brunton is the link between the church and the school. Someone more skilled at looking at church websites than me might be able to see what sort of church it is but on first viewing it didn't seem to be the ordinary sane variety. These are the main folk involved anyway

•Professor Paul Clarke (St Mary’s University College)
•Julie Bradley (Headteacher, St Leonards CoE Primary)
•Dawn Forshaw (Headteacher, Wellfield CoE and Methodist Primary)
•Life Church, Burnley
•Community Solutions Lancashire.

The last on Transforming lives for Good is alternative provision so will be dealing with special needs. It seems to be a Christian charity already heavily linked with getting churches involved in early intervention and behavioural training by going into existing schools. What worried me was when asking for church partnerships they said 'pastors' rather than vicars or priests, pastors are more likely to be fringe/extremes? However as a special needs provider I guess it would be difficult to see what they do.
cathy

Postby Roger Stanyard » Thu May 23, 2013 7:03 pm

cathy wrote:
Burnley high school on the other hand I don't like the look of. It seems to be a partnership between something called Chapel Street Community (new to me but some kind of charity?) and The Life Church Burnley. The Chapel Street community seems to be a national charity that has already sponsored two other free schools (Atherton and Tyndale). It is also involved in one other school on the list - the Raynes School in Wimbledon.

I'm not sure I liked the look of the Life Church which is the other partner. Jeff Brunton is the link between the church and the school. Someone more skilled at looking at church websites than me might be able to see what sort of church it is but on first viewing it didn't seem to be the ordinary sane variety. These are the main folk involved anyway

•Professor Paul Clarke (St Mary’s University College)
•Julie Bradley (Headteacher, St Leonards CoE Primary)
•Dawn Forshaw (Headteacher, Wellfield CoE and Methodist Primary)
•Life Church, Burnley
•Community Solutions Lancashire.

The last on Transforming lives for Good is alternative provision so will be dealing with special needs. It seems to be a Christian charity already heavily linked with getting churches involved in early intervention and behavioural training by going into existing schools. What worried me was when asking for church partnerships they said 'pastors' rather than.....

St Mary's University College is a long established Roman Catholic institution in London.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby jon_12091 » Thu May 23, 2013 7:36 pm

Cathy, you picked more less the same names as me as looking suspect...

cathy wrote:I'm not sure I liked the look of the Life Church which is the other partner. Jeff Brunton is the link between the church and the school. Someone more skilled at looking at church websites than me might be able to see what sort of church it is but on first viewing it didn't seem to be the ordinary sane variety. These are the main folk involved anyway

Looks very contemporary and very 'youth'. Apparently people are made in the 'spiritual image of God' (interesting) and view the bible as 'inspired' which is normal.

Found this -
http://lifechurchstratford.blogspot.co. ... attle.html
Not exactly pro, but cold comfort, as the blogger clearly see creationists as honest brothers in Christ with legitimate concerns. Very naive!
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Postby Roger Stanyard » Fri May 24, 2013 10:04 am

jon_12091 wrote:Looks very contemporary and very 'youth'. Apparently people are made in the 'spiritual image of God' (interesting) and view the bible as 'inspired' which is normal.

Found this -
http://lifechurchstratford.blogspot.co. ... attle.html
Not exactly pro, but cold comfort, as the blogger clearly see creationists as honest brothers in Christ with legitimate concerns. Very naive!

He's trying to suggest there is an "equivalence" between two sides, fundamentalism and atheism. Off target by a long way.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Fri May 24, 2013 1:46 pm

there is one sentence in that blog that frightens the life out of me and which would preclude them being involved in any school
•an invitation to Bill to meet to discuss a more full understanding of creationism and their concerns about how science is taught

There is nothing in creationism to understand beyond lies, lies and more lies and some very nasty people.

Very naive!

Naive? Stupid, shortsighted, wilfully ignorant and siding with some very unpleasant people!

Christians really do need to de couple themselves from giving any credence at all to creationism!!! If they did there would be no problem with how science is taught. And if they did they'd also be able to stop people like Dawkins linking science to atheism rather than just to science. It is madness they way the two groups feed on each other. Creationists deny science, Dawkins uses that to push scientists into claiming science promotes atheism, angering christians who don't deny science and aren't creationists and forcing them into some kind of weird middle ground. I do despair sometimes.
cathy

Re:

Postby a_haworthroberts » Fri May 24, 2013 3:12 pm

The blogger is clearly no YEC or big fan of Ham and sounds quite reasonable to me - though his suggestion that science will confirm scripture (he sounds a bit like a so-called 'compromiser') is a little naïve.
a_haworthroberts

Postby jon_12091 » Fri May 24, 2013 5:29 pm

cathy wrote:Naive? Stupid, shortsighted, wilfully ignorant and siding with some very unpleasant people!

The blogger seems to think that science and creationism could reach an accommodation, his suggestion that Ham & Nye share a platform, isn't stupid, but betrays a fundamental lack of understanding of what Ham is. As I said
jon_12091 wrote:the blogger clearly see creationists as honest brothers in Christ with legitimate concerns

Doesn't make him stupid just lacking understanding - I'm guessing he's never read Ham on one of his full blown foaming at mouth "compromiser" rants. Many Christians simply aren't aware of creationism, just many members of the public aren't. Now if said creationists wanted to seek a consensus then I would say he was being willfully ignorant.
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Postby Brian Jordan » Fri May 24, 2013 6:32 pm

I think he's just naive. First his simple mistake: he lets Ham get away with saying that Nye is "just" an engineer who doesn't understand science. This is rich, when such a large proportion of creationist "scientists" turn out to be engineers. Goodness, there's even a name (which I forget) for the phenomenon!
His much bigger error is in calling for a common ground. I don't know what his own background is, but he seems quite unaware that it's not a question of whether a god created the universe but how and when. A question of denying so many aspects of modern science that the whole edifices of Young Earth Creationism and Anitevolutionism are shored up with nothing but denial and lies.
I'd say his heart is in the right place, but his eyes are blinkered by ignorance. Not, in his case, willful ignorance. I hope.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Sat May 25, 2013 12:07 pm

His much bigger error is in calling for a common ground. I don't know what his own background is, but he seems quite unaware that it's not a question of whether a god created the universe but how and when. A question of denying so many aspects of modern science that the whole edifices of Young Earth Creationism and Anitevolutionism are shored up with nothing but denial and lies.
I'd say his heart is in the right place, but his eyes are blinkered by ignorance. Not, in his case, willful ignorance. I hope.

I'll have to reserve judgement I'm afraid until I know exactly what he understands be creationism and what he understands by science. If by creationism he just means the belief that God is the creator and the science is the way that happens than fine - he is being naive and needs to actually read the BS coming from the creationist angles. Because they are the ones turning it into a how and when lie.

It is hard to tell from that post or the other one he links to however, what his take on science is and what his understanding of creationism is.

If however he does understand the creationist arguments and still thinks there is common ground than he is getting into the teach the controversy area.

It is difficult to tell, the problem is people like Dawkins muddy the waters a little bit by frightening people who would not naturally be creationists if given the choice into the creationist camp by claiming it is the existence or otherwise of God that science deals with rather than the how and when of creationist liars. Which the creationists then use to frighten people off real science by echoing his claims and presenting them with pseudoscience. Either way until this blogger is clearer about what he means I'll reserve judgement.

But am still wary of any church that thinks there is common ground be in charge of education. If only because they are showing a dangerous level of naivete and ignorance that could be exploited by the like of sobbing sylv or Garner or Tyler.
cathy

Postby jon_12091 » Sat May 25, 2013 5:30 pm

cathy wrote:If only because they are showing a dangerous level of naivete and ignorance that could be exploited by the like of sobbing sylv or Garner or Tyler.

That I do agree with! Though the proposed school has other partners including educationalists and Life Church clearly isn't alone in this. I'd say it seems no different in terms of risk to other mainstream bids.
Also most UK creationists seem pathologically incapable of not mentioning when they get the chance to speak in a school context so at least we'll get a heads up.
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Postby cathy » Tue May 28, 2013 9:58 am

Not sure how relevant or well researched this is because I got it from teh Sunday Telegraph (was only paper left in Costas to read, not choice). But it was in an article about the killing of Lee Rigby in Woolwich "Woolwich Attack 'Lone Wolves' Who Run With the Pack" By an Andrew Gilligan

Anyway amongst the various failings of governments to deal with radicalisation and the role of islamic groups in universities and much other stuff that is not relevant this came up.
Thanks to Whitehall indifference, or even active support, a number of key Muslim institutions, above all schools, student Islamic societies and some powerful mosques, are controlled by groups which do not themselves support violence but which provide the intellectual foundations and rhetorical climate for it.

If you believe, as many of these institutions teach, that the country you live in is diseased and decadent and that non-Muslims are inferior, it becomes much easier to harm them.

The new government did seem to understand this. It reduced some of the repressive laws, and in February 2011 the Prime Minister himself promised to “turn the page” on the “failed” policy, known as Prevent, which saw Whitehall engage with and fund “peaceful” Islamist groups in the hope they could divert people away from terrorism.

Mr Cameron said, in effect, that Muslim racists should be shunned by government and polite society as rigorously as white racists already are.

But, like so many of the Prime Minister’s promises, it never quite seemed to happen.

A few groups lost their money – but most did not. A body linked to the extremist sect Hizb ut-Tahrir, the public funding of which Mr Cameron condemned as long ago as 2009, is still receiving hundreds of thousands of pounds from taxpayers to educate small children in Hizb ut-Tahrir ideology.

The growing number of private Muslim schools, some of which teach separatist, anti-Semitic and extremist views, are now allowed to inspect themselves.

Inspections have been farmed out from Ofsted to something called the Bridge Schools Inspectorate, a private body co-controlled by the Association of Muslim Schools which includes a number of inspectors linked to extremism. Unsurprisingly, the inspections tend to be very positive about the schools they visit.

I've underlined the relevant bits! The Bridge Schools Inspectorate yet again.

Every Bridge Schools Inspection contains members from both groups. Hence the CST schools are inspected largely by CST members but with some AMS members and vice versa. We can't really stop BSI on the grounds it ignores creationist teachings in its schools as private schools can do as they wish BUT are sylv and chums ignoring radicalisation in the Islamic ones? Is this a way to get BSI finally inspected and to wake real Ofsted up to what they are doing? And if CST are co inspecting and co run what are sylv and co doing with inspectors linked to that extremism?

Sylv and chums turning a blind eye to radicalisation in return form AMS inspectors letting them get away with creationist looniness?
cathy

Next

Return to Free For All