Britain First ?

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Britain First ?

Postby Peter Henderson » Wed May 29, 2013 10:40 am

Someone linked to a photo (which I considered to be racist) on Facebook which I traced back to this organisation:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/officialbritainfirst

http://www.britainfirst.org/

Complete and utter right wing nutters. Reading through their statement of beliefs etc. it puts UKIP in the shade.
Peter Henderson

Re: Britain First ?

Postby jon_12091 » Wed May 29, 2013 11:20 am

Oddly enough I did some poking around this and its related group the Protestant Coalition (more less the same people involved in both it appears) the other week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britain_First

No creationism and little evidence of any other faith-based activities per say.

Typical far-right organisations attempting to appear larger and more influencial than they actually are.
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Postby Roger Stanyard » Wed May 29, 2013 1:10 pm

jon_12091 wrote:Oddly enough I did some poking around this and its related group the Protestant Coalition (more less the same people involved in both it appears) the other week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britain_First

No creationism and little evidence of any other faith-based activities per say.

Typical far-right organisations attempting to appear larger and more influencial than they actually are.

They both appear to have been created as spin-offs from the BNP. There's another one that has emerged that is trying to model itself on the 1930s British Union of Fascists.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Peter Henderson » Wed May 29, 2013 1:37 pm

Those posters that have appeared on Facebook are pretty much racist in my opinion Roger.When I clicked on the Britain First Facebook page it didn't surprise me. Anti Muslim/Islam, anti immigration, close borders etc. They make UKIP seem moderate by comparison.

Not really sure if it's wise to have friends on Facebook with these sort of views. :cry:
Peter Henderson

Postby Roger Stanyard » Wed May 29, 2013 2:23 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:Those posters that have appeared on Facebook are pretty much racist in my opinion Roger.When I clicked on the Britain First Facebook page it didn't surprise me. Anti Muslim/Islam, anti immigration, close borders etc. They make UKIP seem moderate by comparison.

Not really sure if it's wise to have friends on Facebook with these sort of views. :cry:

I got round that problem by saying that their views were offensive - one of two things happens; they realise it and stop or they defriend themselves.

Life's too short to fall out with the former and equally too short to bother with the latter.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Brian Jordan » Wed May 29, 2013 2:45 pm

MODERATOR NOTE:
I think this may be off-topic: I can't find any mention of creationism on their rather shambolic sites. Wikipedia describes their founder as a Christian fundamentalist but I can't see any statement of beliefs, with or without creationism.
Unless there is something to link them with creationism, I think this is a fruitless line of discussion best not pursued here.
EDIT: Or have I missed something? Have they tried to connect us via the wretched Facebook in some way?
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Peter Henderson » Wed May 29, 2013 3:56 pm

Feel free to delete the thread should you feel fit Brian.

Just wondered about them as I'd never come across Britain First before. If Dowson is a former calvinist minister and pro life extremist then he's most likely a YEC as well.

Maybe one to watch in the future especially in light of UKIP's council election successes.
Peter Henderson

Postby jon_12091 » Wed May 29, 2013 6:57 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:If Dowson is a former calvinist minister and pro life extremist then he's most likely a YEC as well.

Looked but couldn't find any obvious references to him being a creationist - still it looks like they're shopping for supporters among the NI protestant community so who knows.
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Postby Peter Henderson » Wed May 29, 2013 8:00 pm

Roger Stanyard wrote:
Peter Henderson wrote:Those posters that have appeared on Facebook are pretty much racist in my opinion Roger.When I clicked on the Britain First Facebook page it didn't surprise me. Anti Muslim/Islam, anti immigration, close borders etc. They make UKIP seem moderate by comparison.

I got round that problem by saying that their views were offensive - one of two things happens; they realise it and stop or they defriend themselves.

Life's too short to fall out with the former and equally too short to bother with the latter.

I've just been unfriended by the person in question Roger, so I suppose it was only a matter of time.

To be honest, what he was posting was downright offensive and racist so it's no great loss.

I may be a Unionist, constitutionaly speaking, but I detest that sort of thing. Or maybe I'm just not patriotic enough.
Peter Henderson

Postby Peter Henderson » Wed May 29, 2013 8:02 pm

jon_12091 wrote:
Peter Henderson wrote:If Dowson is a former calvinist minister and pro life extremist then he's most likely a YEC as well.

Looked but couldn't find any obvious references to him being a creationist - still it looks like they're shopping for supporters among the NI protestant community so who knows.

Yep, that's what I was thinking Jon. UKIP already have a presence in the province.
Peter Henderson

Postby Brian Jordan » Thu May 30, 2013 10:40 am

Peter Henderson wrote:Yep, that's what I was thinking Jon. UKIP already have a presence in the province.
Would that be the first for a mainland party?
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Peter Henderson » Thu May 30, 2013 12:28 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:
Peter Henderson wrote:Yep, that's what I was thinking Jon. UKIP already have a presence in the province.

Pssibly Brian. Ex UUP MLA David McNarry who joined UKIP after losing the party whip.

YEC Cecil Andrews stood for UKIP in the last assembly elections but was unsuccessful (losing his deposit).
Peter Henderson

Postby Roger Stanyard » Thu May 30, 2013 12:55 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:
Brian Jordan wrote:

Pssibly Brian. Ex UUP MLA David McNarry who joined UKIP after losing the party whip.

YEC Cecil Andrews stood for UKIP in the last assembly elections but was unsuccessful (losing his deposit).

If anyone in NI wants out of the EU, they would do a lot better making common cause with people in the Republic who have good reason to be severely disillusioned with it, rather than with an English nationalist party with policies that could break up the UK. But, then, Cecil Andrews isn't very bright.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Peter Henderson » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:56 am

The Britain First Facebook page has been shut down:

http://www.britainfirst.org/social-netw ... s-cut-off/

Surprised they have nothing up about the ROI's abortion bill.
Peter Henderson

Postby Peter Henderson » Mon May 12, 2014 5:59 pm

Uniformed far right groups in the UK now a reality:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 52271.html
Peter Henderson

Next

Return to Free For All