New Curriculum out - Evolution in primary schools yipee

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

New Curriculum out - Evolution in primary schools yipee

Postby cathy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:43 am

Looks like Gove has done one thing right, the new curriculum is apparently out
www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23222068

Relevant paragraph here

Science will shift towards a stronger sense of hard facts and "scientific knowledge". In primary school, there will be new content on the solar system, speed and evolution. In secondary school, there will be a clearer sense of separate subjects of physics, biology and chemistry. Climate change will also be included.

Rest of it shows a bit of a lack of understanding of children and what they are capable of I'm afraid.
cathy

Re: New Curriculum out - Evolution in primary schools yipee

Postby Moon Fire » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:28 pm

They've gutted the few bits of Geology/Earth Science from it though
Moon Fire

Mutter Mutter

Postby a_haworthroberts » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:10 pm

http://www.truthinscience.org.uk/tis2/i ... hools.html
Apparently ALL which should be taught to kids in maintained schools within the science curriculum is topics which are "experimentally demonstrable in the classroom".
a_haworthroberts

Postby Brian Jordan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:56 pm

So, TiS aroused from slumber. And still advertising "Set in Stone" - which title nicely describes their ideas. No doubt sedimentary stone, formed from sludge.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:48 pm

Still parroting the same old rubbish, you'd have thought as each piece of idiocy is refuted they'd refine it but no. And is it my imagination or is their tone slightly more extremist than in the past when they were trying to sound more um as if it were a scientific debate with ID as a fair alternative? Now it is fiercely in the fervent creationist speak of naturalistic worldview b@@@@@@ks.

I'm amazed and worried to find they've awoken from their long slumber. Nothing from them since they tried to peddle set in stone. So they're still around and aware enough to know what is happening in education. I thought they had realised they were a spent force on the way out and had crawled back under their stones. Suggests they are still trying to sneak in.

How should teachers respond!! Bloody cheek. That means going thru their painful bloody website again to see if their curriculum stuff has been updated at all to make it easier to hide.
cathy

Postby cathy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:51 pm

Ah well checked their curriculum stuff and they're still firmly stuck in the 2006 changes having completely missed the changes that came about in 2011. Nothing new yet.
cathy

Postby cathy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:05 pm

And speaking of decline, I decided to have a quick look at the Edinburgh Creation group - returned to moribund state - and see if Marc had updated anything in his shop and guess what. It seems to be closing down, if it hasn't already.
267b Leith Walk Edinburgh, EH6 8PD

The shop is closing down.

Visit us soon to benefit from our closing down sale.

25% off all marked prices

To find out more:

Telephone: 0131 554 6363

Email: msurtees at paradigmshift.org.uk

Open Tuesday to Saturday

10:00 until 17:30

And
CLOSING DOWN

After 13 years Paradigm Shift is closing down.

Visit us to benefit from the closing down sale.

25% of all marked prices

267 b Leith Walk

Edinburgh

EH6 8PD

Tel: 0131 554 6363

Dated 1st June 2013!!!!

I hope nothing is genuinely wrong at all, and part of me really hopes it is because we finally got through to him and he developed a conscience? It would be nice if inherent qualities in him had finally allowed him to see through his awful ideology. But that might be a teacherish like to see the best sort of wishful thinking.
cathy

Postby Roger Stanyard » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:25 am

cathy wrote:
I hope nothing is genuinely wrong at all, and part of me really hopes it is because we finally got through to him and he developed a conscience? It would be nice if inherent qualities in him had finally allowed him to see through his awful ideology. But that might be a teacherish like to see the best sort of wishful thinking.

It's never a good idea to openly mix religion with business - it puts a lot of customers off - especially if you're trying to scientific equipment to the scientifically literate at the same time as saying mainstream science is all hopelessly wrong.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Peter Henderson » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:28 am

Indeed Cathy, I've always quite liked Marc even though I profoundly disagree with him. One of the nicer YECs I've met (unlike McIntosh, Taylor, or our own Phil Robinson). It's a pity he doesn't post here any more.

It would be nice to think we finally got through to him, though I suspect he left the forum more out of frustration than anything else.

If he can't convince people of young Earth creationism does that mean they can't be saved ?

I've a funny feeling I've actually visited the shop inadvertently a number of years back when I stayed in the Thistle hotel in Edinburgh.
Peter Henderson

Postby cathy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:43 pm

Indeed Cathy, I've always quite liked Marc even though I profoundly disagree with him. One of the nicer YECs I've met (unlike McIntosh, Taylor, or our own Phil Robinson). It's a pity he doesn't post here any more.

Hmm I did see glimmers of likeability in him, I never felt he would deliberately harm you for ideological reasons unlike his peers. Whom were menacing. In many respects who was unlike them in that you could imagine he had some decency. He was always like the nice kid who'd got in with the wrong peer group but you couldn't make him see just how nasty and dishonest they were. I hope he's gone straight rather than something bad. Found newer decent friends who aren't vile like the rest.
cathy

Postby cathy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:49 pm

http://www.truthinscience.org.uk/tis2/i ... hools.html
Apparently ALL which should be taught to kids in maintained schools within the science curriculum is topics which are "experimentally demonstrable in the classroom".

Hmm well after having a little think I found Goves curriculums weak spot and a way in for TiS. The vast majority of primary school teachers are not scientists, they tend to come from the humanities. Therefore they are more likely to be bamboozled by TiS and the rest. However the vast majority aren't creationist loony tunes from creation la la land either. But the controversy and observable v non observable science will be less obviously garbage to them.

So worrying little aside there after sleeping on it.
cathy

Postby a_haworthroberts » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:53 pm

I certainly don't recall learning much science in primary school (three different schools because we kept moving house) between around 1965 and 1970. There was I suspect little or no science in the 11-plus I took.
a_haworthroberts

Postby Peter Henderson » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:21 pm

a_haworthroberts wrote:I certainly don't recall learning much science in primary school (three different schools because we kept moving house) between around 1965 and 1970. There was I suspect little or no science in the 11-plus I took.

Neither do I Ashley. It was hard enough learning times tables. I think we eventually got to decimals by P7, if I remember correctly.

Forms 1-3 were interesting though, as was GCE (now GCSE) science, especially geology.

So how exactly are children supposed to "think critically" ?
Peter Henderson

Return to Free For All