Latest propaganda from Untruths in Science

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Latest propaganda from Untruths in Science

Postby a_haworthroberts » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:38 pm

They are commenting on the draft 2014 National Curriculum.
http://www.truthinscience.org.uk/tis2/i ... eview.html
"The fossils themselves do not show any evidence of "change over time"; on the contrary, they show considerable evidence for species stasis." That is a lie. SOME fossils DO show evidence of change over large periods of time (time that these creationists deny because such periods of time are not 'biblical'.)
"Many interpret the fossil evidence as demonstrating speciation but there are major presuppositions in doing so, which do not originate from the actual fossil evidence, but instead are assumed from the theory of evolution itself, so the reasoning is circular. To teach interpretation as fact without explaining the difference amounts to indoctrination. The very existence of fossils is evidence for catastrophic burial." Ah yes, real interpretations are 'circular reasoning' but creationists are NOT using ANY bad and unscientific reasoning whatsoever in proclaiming that all fossils were buried rapidly in a fabled recent event 'worldwide' known as Noah's Flood or the Genesis Flood.
"At the very least, the evidence for Catastrophism should be considered alongside the supposed slow and gradual formation hypothesis known as Uniformitarianism." It's not an either/or, and science teaching is not about 'isms'.
"Other dating methods (particularly the occurrence of Carbon-14 in fossilised wood and coal) ...". THIS IS NOT AN ALTERNATIVE 'DATING METHOD'! Young Earth creationists do not have any alternative 'dating methods'.
"Teachers are advised to use the material on this website to inform lesson plans, and to show that the observable (including fossil) evidence is compatible with a catastrophic geology model." I suggest that the Department for Education and the vast majority of teachers would beg to differ?

Last year Truth in Science commended the DVD 'Set in Stone' which made such a false claim, but their dishonesty became apparent when they ran away from debate with somebody who is an expert on Siccar Point:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2QEUG29 ... hisHelpful
(See the comments by the reviewer dated 20.7.12, on the last page of comments; Mr Garner was one of the presenters of this film.)

I am bringing this to the attention of the Department for Education, copied to TiS.

Those belonging to TiS are all fundamentalist Christians who think current science teaching is ideological and sometimes amounts to 'indoctrination' (this is because they dispute certain facts and evidence-based conclusions about the past, because these disagree with an 'infallible' Bible).
http://www.truthinscience.org.uk/tis2/i ... nu-82.html
a_haworthroberts

Re: Latest propaganda from Untruths in Science

Postby a_haworthroberts » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:47 pm

I am contacting the DfE in a purely personal capacity ie NOT in behalf of the British Centre for Science Education.

Some of the TiS material available when drawing up lesson plans (if you are a creationist teacher) can be read here. 'Irreducible complexity' has of course been debunked.
http://www.truthinscience.org.uk/tis2/i ... nu-79.html
a_haworthroberts

Postby a_haworthroberts » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:03 am

I have contacted the DfE as below re the draft programmes of study in science (not expressing my views so much as ALERTING them to an organisation which wants the National Curriculum 'changed' even though Government guidelines are against creationism being taught as a valid scientific theory in any state school):

Please see here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3298&p=46577#p46577
I trust this is self-explanatory. In essence, Truth in Science - who believe in young Earth or Biblical creationism and categorically reject evolution and 'millions of years' - are on their website advising teachers to "use the material on this website to inform lesson plans, and to show that the observable (including fossil) evidence is compatible with a catastrophic geology model". These people think the fossil record and features such as the Grand Canyon show the reality of 'Noah's Flood' and that the Christian god created the world, the universe and all animals on Earth (including the extinct ones) around 6,000 years' ago - they believe this despite any and all evidence to the contrary.
a_haworthroberts

Postby a_haworthroberts » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:21 am

This link to this thread has now been sent to TiS, copied to various others mainly in the UK (I cannot copy it to the DfE by email but they have the link too if the consultation response form worked correctly).
a_haworthroberts

Postby a_haworthroberts » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:34 am

Email response received from the DfE in Runcorn:
"Thank you for responding to National Curriculum review: new programmes of study and attainment targets from September 2014.
If you have requested an acknowledgement we will send one to you as soon as your response has been processed.
Your response identifier is 332."

Also, I have just noticed that the acknowledgement email received from the DfE DOES supply an email address also - so I have just forwarded the email to them as well.
a_haworthroberts

Postby Brian Jordan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:04 pm

MODERATOR NOTE
As Ashley has brought this thread to the DfE's notice, I suggest that for the time being any comments are limited to identifying errors in TiS's material and to their advocacy of creationism and ID.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Michael » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:29 pm

I need to look at this and make comments and corrections as it is highly inaccurate and grossly misrepresents the actual situation.
Michael

Postby a_haworthroberts » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:54 pm

Michael wrote:I need to look at this and make comments and corrections as it is highly inaccurate and grossly misrepresents the actual situation.

I trust you are referring to comments by Truth in Science on the draft National Curriculum rather than to my own comments on what they wrote!
a_haworthroberts

Postby Michael » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:04 am

I should have been clear Ashley! sorry if I implied otherwise.

Michael
Michael

Re: Latest PROPAGANDA from Untruths in Science

Postby a_haworthroberts » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:11 pm

'Truth in Science' have got a new propaganda video aimed at teachers on their homepage:
http://www.truthinscience.org.uk/tis2/
'Classroom Crisis'.
The accompanying text contradicts itself: "For many years, much of what has been taught in school science lessons about the origin of the living world has been dogmatic and imbalanced. The theory of Darwinian evolution has been presented as scientifically uncontroversial...".
And it is NOT clear from this video - for those teachers who may not know - that TiS is an organisation of (mostly/entirely) 'young' Earth creationists within fundamentalist, Bible defending Christianity. Not just a random group of people concerned about 'teaching science truthfully' as appearances would suggest.
On You Tube you read "All Comments are Disabled for this Video". Quelle surprise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lGRMr3QcUs

I am emailing the DfE this link and referring them to my above comments, for information - copied to Truth in Science and also Paul Braterman and Mark Edon (and the BCSE committee address - though the last time I checked their email address was still not working).

EDIT: perhaps I should make clear that I DID watch the video.
Last edited by a_haworthroberts on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a_haworthroberts

Postby a_haworthroberts » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:23 pm

http://www.truthinscience.org.uk/tis2/i ... nu-82.html
"We accept the Royal Society Motto: Nullius in verba ‘Take the word of no-one’ and follow where the evidence leads".

So HOW exactly do they define 'evidence'? 'Taking as your non-negotiable Starting Point the infallible Word of God in Genesis chapters 1-11 which must not be compromised even in school science classes'?
a_haworthroberts

Postby Brian Jordan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:09 pm

Thanks for spoiling my Saturday evening Ashley! What a heap of pot-kettle innuendo, clearly aimed at teachers who, as they put it, haven't got a science A-level. Who may not understand that Lies About Science is deliberately confusing evolution by natural selection with Lamarckism and drinking from Adnan Oktar's trough of deceit. Let alone have the experience to see that LaS are laying the ground for a belief in Noah's flood and a path from there to a 6000 year old universe.
In short, here we go again. The beggars don't give up, do they?
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby a_haworthroberts » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:16 pm

Brian
Yes - the contents of the video are similar to what they put up on their website in the late summer.
The email address for the BCSE committee now appears to be working again (I received no 'undelivered' email).
Ashley
a_haworthroberts

Postby Peter Henderson » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:53 am

So HOW exactly do they define 'evidence'? 'Taking as your non-negotiable Starting Point the infallible Word of God in Genesis chapters 1-11 which must not be compromised even in school science

Clearly this is what they mean, well, Burgess and McIntosh anyway:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/about/faith

◾By definition, no apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the scriptural record.
Peter Henderson

Postby Brian Jordan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:09 am

And of course McIntosh is notorious for claiming that all scientific qualifications are meaningless if their holder doesn't believe in a literal reading of the Bible. This he now clearly extends right down to primary school SATS
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Next

Return to Free For All