YEC medical doctor and preacher working in UK

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

YEC medical doctor and preacher working in UK

Postby a_haworthroberts » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:40 am

http://www.bridgelane.org.uk/page43a.html
Have listened to his sermon of 13 July entitled 'How old is the Earth: Around 6,ooo or 4.5 Billion yrs?'
More details of Dr Matt or Matthew Seymour:
http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arth ... itute.aspx
http://www.nras.org.uk/healthcare_profe ... rtise.aspx
a_haworthroberts

Re: YEC medical doctor and preacher working in UK

Postby a_haworthroberts » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:14 am

He claims around halfway through (around 25 minutes + minutes' in) that Earth was created in a mature state but with low levels of radioactivity as otherwise animals would have died (high levels of radioactivity would - he claims - have indicated that the rocks science tells us are very old were young as biblical timescales appear to demand). I do not fully understand that argument. It's not a question of the Earth containing (today or 6,000 years' ago) lots of dangerously radioactive rocks. It's a question of how much of a specific radioactive isotope is measured in igneous rocks today (it's not usually that much but even if it was would that be a dangerous level of eg uranium isotopes 235 or 238?; he does mention uranium incidentally - and both these isotopes, which produce alpha particles as they decay, at least have very lengthy half lives indeed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium-lead_dating) (The radioactivity danger would come from decay rates being massively speeded up during the flood, as other YECs often claim.)

He also says levels of radioactivity would have been much higher than today/recently around 3.8 billion years ago - when scientists believe life began. Maybe (though Earth's igneous rocks have been recycled over time and dates for rocks, many of which are younger than that, are calculated from when they ceased to be molten).

He also says a lot about the former 'water canopy' above the Earth.

But with him being an expert medical doctor, no doubt most listening to him at Bridge Lane Christian Fellowship would not question his scientific - and 'scientific' - claims.
Last edited by a_haworthroberts on Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
a_haworthroberts

Postby a_haworthroberts » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:24 am

He also claims there was much less carbon 14 around before the Flood because the water canopy was 'blocking' the cosmic rays which lead to carbon 14 formation within Earth's atmosphere and within the plants that took up carbon dioxide during photosynthesis. :)

Thus low measured amounts of carbon 14 give erroneously old ages for organic material... Religious pseudo-science at its most plausible?
a_haworthroberts

Postby a_haworthroberts » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:36 am

"Who will you believe - the scoffers or the 'Word of God'?"
a_haworthroberts

Postby a_haworthroberts » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:41 am

But it's not the 'Word of God' - it's what YECs have ADDED to the Word of God in order to promote a form of Biblical literalism that science has shown to be wrong and daft.
a_haworthroberts

Postby a_haworthroberts » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:53 am

OK, to be fair I should probably rephrase that. It's not the 'Word of God' alone - it's also what YECs have ADDED to the Word of God in order to promote a form of Biblical literalism that science has shown to be wrong and daft.
a_haworthroberts

Postby jon_12091 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:11 am

a_haworthroberts wrote:He also says levels of radioactivity would have been much higher than today/recently around 3.8 billion years ago - when scientists believe life began. Maybe (though Earth's igneous rocks have been recycled over time and dates for rocks, many of which are younger than that, are calculated from when they ceased to be molten).

I'd be interested to know what he defines "much" as.... Though a couple of points to quick off with life is generally seen as starting in water - a pretty good attenuator of radiation (though sea water is intrinsically fairly radioactive) and simpler lifeforms with shorter lifecycles have less to worry about with regard radiation damage.
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Postby Chris Sergeant » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:15 pm

a_haworthroberts wrote:He also says levels of radioactivity would have been much higher than today/recently around 3.8 billion years ago
I presume the background level of radioactivity on Earth would have been slightly higher billions of years ago. There would have been more U235, U238, K40 etc, which have since decayed to modern levels. The calculations for the Oklo reactor take this into account.
Chris Sergeant

Postby jon_12091 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:03 pm

Okay, after a bit of poking about I found a peak dose for the Precambrian, 2 billion years ago, of 2 microGrays per year, which is roughly equivalent to 2 microSieverts assuming its all beta and gamma dose. This is roughly equivalent to the upper dose for a single barium meal investigation.

Wikipedia wrote:In 2012 the United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation stated that for typical background radiation levels (1–13 mSv per year) it is not possible to account for any health effects, and for exposures under 100 mSv, it is only possible in specific conditions.

The HPA quote 2.7 mSv per year for the background radiation dose in UK or 7.8 mSv if you live in Cornwall...

So I think the its safe to say I sincerely hope that the good doctor never has to triage patients with radiation injuries....
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Postby a_haworthroberts » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:08 pm

I sent an email to the church, entitled 'Pseudo-science in church' and linking to this thread. Needless to say it has not been answered.

I listened again to what Seymour said. He actually used the phrase 'exceptionally high' and the adjective 'dreadful' to refer to radioactivity levels at the approximate time scientists believe life started around 3 billion years' ago (he said 3 billion but it may have been rather earlier than that, around 3.8 bn). This is just past 26 minutes in.
a_haworthroberts

Return to Free For All