stuart burgess does aliens vs creationists in the midlands.

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

stuart burgess does aliens vs creationists in the midlands.

Postby cathy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:55 am

Boooo. Looking thru our local paper and what jumps out as a rare treat of a potential night out on Wednesday 9th Oct at 7.30

"THE QUESTION OF EXTRA TERRESTRIAL LIFE" at the Friends meeting house located in a sleepy but affluent village somewhere between Redditch and Brum. Don't know whose friends house it is, I guess they are a religious sect tho?

Anyway sounds interesting, is it an astronomy meeting thinks I, in bad grammatical thought mode? No.

Is it local SETI hunters or even sci fi fans? If I go will I need to dress as Dr Who or Lt Uhuru?

Nooo. It is arch creationist and loony tune Stuart Burgess - and I'm not kidding that really, genuinely and honestly is the title of the talk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The full title is "THE QUESTION OF EXTRA TERRESTRAIL LIFE - an overview of man's search for life in space and what the Bible says about ET life - Or what is there" NOw what is confusing me even more here are the accompanying pictures. The title lies between a shot of ET (of the famous Speilberg film) and BOB from Monsters V Aliens - yes that lovable Pixar alien, blue, blob like and with one eye. And I'm not kidding there either, a biblical themed take on ET and BOB from monsters v aliens? Does the Bible really mention them, is that where pixar and Speilberg got their ideas?

Anyway further details
Speaker:
Prof Stuart Burgess BSc (Eng)
(why not BEng btw)PhD
FIMechE
Head of Mechanical Engineering at Bristol University

There will be a Question Time after the talk.
Bookstall and refreshments
Free Admsission
A voluntary offering will be taken to cover the Speaker's expenses.

I'm still a little stunned. Nuttiness on a new level?.
Last edited by cathy on Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
cathy

Re: stuart burgess does aliens vs creationists in the midlan

Postby cathy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:58 am

PS I guess I was a little unfair to query the use of BOB as an illustration. From the film I recall him as some kind of brainless, indestructible. gelatinous blob - in short an almost perfect representation of creationism.

What am I saying 'almost' BOB is a perfect representation.
cathy

Postby Brian Jordan » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:49 pm

cathy wrote:Anyway further details
Speaker:
Prof Stuart Burgess BSc (Eng)
(why not BEng btw)PhD
[u][b]FIMechE
Head of Mechanical Engineering at Bristol University
Wasn't it Burgess who had the opportunity to make up his own job title, and wheedled "Design" into the name? Or am I thinking of someone else? I suppose whoever it was would like one of his courses to be a B.Div.Des.!
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:04 pm

Interesting Brian, his university home page mentions he is head of engineering design! And cites and interest in engineering from mimicking biological systems. Nothing too radical on it if you don't know the lingo.

However his university home page contains a link to his personal webpage. Where he says.

I am interested in the teleological argument. From my thirty years of experience of design research in engineering and biomechanics I can see evidence for intelligent design in the natural world that convinces me that there is an intelligent designer. Many engineers and scientists are sympathetic to the idea of intelligent design in nature, although not many scientists will publicly declare their interests because they know they may become the victim of internet trolls who run abusive web sites. This is sad because science is meant to be free of intimidation. I have written a book called ‘Hallmarks of Design’ published by DayOne where I present evidence of purposeful design and beauty in nature. The book was first published in 2000 and there is even a Dutch edition! The book has been very popular and is still in print. I have written two other books: ‘He made the stars also’ and ‘The design and origin of man’, also published by DayOne.

Now that may well be Stuart Burgess's personal webpage where he has every right to be a loony tunes moron. However I'm not sure it does the university of Bristol any favours to allow a link to an ID supporting page from a proper academic webpage. Suggests support in some way. And should lecturers be allowed to link to their personal web pages? Would a historian be allowed to link to a webpage suggesting holocaust denial? :evil:
cathy

Postby a_haworthroberts » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:47 pm

The mind boggles.

I assume Friends refers to Quakers.
a_haworthroberts

Postby Brian Jordan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:14 am

It looks to be about time Bristol issued a disclaimer, like the one Leeds issued about McIntosh's tosh.
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Re:

Postby a_haworthroberts » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:35 pm

I see that Rugby Creation Science Group are having a talk by a creationist history teacher based at a state school. Named John Perkins.
http://www.rugbycreation.org.uk/forthcomingevents.htm

A creationist history teacher is probably less scary than a creationist science teacher or a creationist religious studies teacher.
a_haworthroberts

Re: Re:

Postby Brian Jordan » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:40 pm

a_haworthroberts wrote:I see that Rugby Creation Science Group are having a talk by a creationist history teacher based at a state school. Named John Perkins.
http://www.rugbycreation.org.uk/forthcomingevents.htm

A creationist history teacher is probably less scary than a creationist science teacher or a creationist religious studies teacher.
The denial though must be very direct - nothing but nothing happened more than 6000 years ago and all history, ancient and modern, would have to be telescoped into that period. No more mind-boggling but how does he explain away the obvious?
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:42 pm

It looks to be about time Bristol issued a disclaimer, like the one Leeds issued about McIntosh's tosh.

It should. I really meant to go tonight and find out what loony Stu was saying but have snuffly nose, sore throat and want only my bed. Sorry guys :cry:
cathy

Return to Free For All