Another free school fiasco

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Another free school fiasco

Postby cathy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:40 pm

Now I know it isn't a creationist school, but it is a perfect example of the sort of thing we'd all have expected when reading Goves free school policy docs that sad day three years ago. Tho this could be a creationist school I guess.

The Al Madinah Islamic free school in Darby. Closed temporarily by Ofsted for lots of things including forcing girls to sit at the back of classes (well I guess we should be grateful Gove hasn't authorised shooting them) and forcing non muslim female staff to wear hijabs.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24417085

Course that is after a lot of money being spend by DfE to approve it and then to fund its opening and then to send Ofsted there to inspect and temporarily close. Dearie me how much more money can loony Gove burn.
cathy

Re: Another free school fiasco

Postby a_haworthroberts » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:40 pm

I was GOING to say that if you click on 'Subjects' here the word 'Science' does not even appear...
http://almadinahschool.org.uk/
However, you have to 'drop down'. Here it is:
http://almadinahschool.org.uk/index.php ... ts/science
a_haworthroberts

Postby Brian Jordan » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:48 pm

Note that it relates to the utility of the science that pupils will come across in their lives, and the contributions to it by Muslims of old. It doesn't give any convincing evidence that they intend to teach science in its own right.
So far as we are concerned, the NSS has a far more damning statement from them but having been off-line for a while I've a bit more catching-up to do before I can copy it here. Let's just say for now that the Al-Madinah mammoth dwarfs the elephant in the room. Pity it's unlikely to stamp effectively on Gove's Folly.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Brian Jordan » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:59 pm

On second thoughts, I've put it to the front of the queue:
"In each and every department, all efforts will be geared towards ensuring the books and resources conform to the teachings of Islam. Sensitive, inaccurate and potentially blasphemous material will be censored or removed completely. If and when teachers are required by the curriculum to convey teachings that are totally against Islam (such as Darwinism), the Director of Islamic Studies will brief the relevant teachers and advise accordingly."
(My emphasis). I wonder if the Director will use the approach, which we've seen in action before from creationists, of telling the pupils that it's an untruth that they have to regurgitate for the infidel examiners?
http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2013/10/al-madinah-muslim-free-school-threatened-with-closure
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Brian Jordan » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:35 pm

And the plot thickens! The former head teacher of this avowedly creationist school has gone to...
Newark School of Enterprise aka Everyday Champions Creationist College.
The Newark School of Enterprise, a free school planned to open in September 2014, was first proposed by the Everyday Champions Church. That bid was turned down because of alleged links with creationism. The Everyday Champions Church dropped its backing and the resubmitted bid was given the go-ahead. In a strange twist of fate, the ex-Principal of Al-Madinah, Andrew Cutts-Mackay, is the head-designate of the Newark School of Enterprise. He told the Newark Advertiser he had taken the job at Al-Madinah on the understanding it was temporary pending the appointment of a Muslim to the post.
http://www.localschoolsnetwork.org.uk/2013/10/closure-of-derby-free-school-raises-more-questions/#sthash.FA9aVfzt.dpuf
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Brian Jordan » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:54 pm

A BIT OFF-TOPIC BUT...
while I'm at it, there's an interesting "free school" thread on RatSkep at the moment. Post #8 has some interesting gossip about the villain of it all. Take your anti-depressants first though.
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41962&view=unread&sid=876f85df04658a23261bdb5f1f7671cc#unread
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:24 pm

And the plot thickens! The former head teacher of this avowedly creationist school has gone to...

Does the gormless one in charge of education know that?

Now that is very interesting and should perhaps be made a lot clearer of DfE free school checking bods and the good people of Newark. Because Al Madinahs Ofsted report meant they were temporarily closed down!! And believe me it takes a hell of a lot for Ofsted to close down a school!!!
cathy

Postby cathy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:35 pm

And what exactly is happening with Exemplar? The last I heard they had put back their Sept 2013 opening to Sept 2014 which I'd assumed was their decision. But it appears it was a DfE one
They admit being disappointed at the Department for Education’s decision on Monday to postpone a 2013 opening, but remain committed to the project.

From a local paper.

Plus they had a website but it appears to have disappeared.

And why would a Muslim school appoint a non muslim head? Especially one that seems to be as committed to the more backward looking take on Islam as Al Madinah was.

Anyway if you look at the Ofsted report it was crap overall. With poor teaching etc.

Good old gormless gove. Votes of no confidence from all the teaching unions and the headteachers unions. Opening schools left right and centre that nobody wants to attend and now it would appear he's been given free rein by his loony colleagues. The man is slowly destroying education. Every single person that cares about education and works within it can see it.
cathy

Postby Brian Jordan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:52 pm

cathy wrote: Opening schools left right and centre that nobody wants to attend and now it would appear he's been given free rein by his loony colleagues. The man is slowly destroying education. Every single person that cares about education and works within it can see it.
I've only done a bit, in a voluntary capacity, but I could weep when I see Gove's phalanx of loonies being given the pupils and money that real schools need. There may be things wrong with education but if it's broke, don't bugger it up terminally.
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:02 pm

I've only done a bit, in a voluntary capacity, but I could weep when I see Gove's phalanx of loonies being given the pupils and money that real schools need. There may be things wrong with education but if it's broke, don't bugger it up terminally.

it wasn't reallly that broke. What failings there were were often down to parents lack of interest. Bad schools were bad because - well - the kids that went in were often desperately disadvantaged. And it doesn't take many like that with no parental support to drag a whole class down. Friends in primary schools in Brum were coping with four year olds who hadn't been potty trained with vocabularies of about 50 words alongside, mainly swear words, or vocabularies from 15 different languages. Friends in primary schools in nice areas were coping with kids who'd had books from birth and vocabularies running into thousands of words. That difference had increased exponentially by the time they got to us at secondary.

Fixing that was a simple matter of early intervention. But free schools? Nobody really wants them at all. And academies? Every school that has gone down that route is an unhappy school for staff. Anyone with half a brain could see free schools were going to be a god send to loonies!!! And creepy sexist tory boy Toby Young of course. Goves mate.

Education wasn't broke it just needed some TLC and cash. And we went thru a golden age under Labour, we reversed the damage done by the previous lot of tories. And once we'd reversed it - along comes Gove.

Those who were teaching in the 80s say he's dismantled the whole thing far quicker than Thatcher ever did. But we think its been the same with the NHS etc as well. This govt, with no overall mandate, has cut far more than Thatcher and her majorities ever did. So much for Nick Clegg and the lib dems. :evil: :evil: :evil: We are starved of cash. Small A levels have gone - along with the teachers. Choice has gone, a popular subject or sod you.
cathy

Postby jon_12091 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:20 am

I was in the area when this story broke and from what appeared on the local news it seems that the school wasn't entirely fit for purpose before it was given free school status.
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Postby jon_12091 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:30 am

Brian Jordan wrote:And the plot thickens! The former head teacher of this avowedly creationist school has gone to...
The Newark School of Enterprise, a free school planned to open in September 2014, was first proposed by the Everyday Champions Church. That bid was turned down because of alleged links with creationism. The Everyday Champions Church dropped its backing and the resubmitted bid was given the go-ahead. In a strange twist of fate, the ex-Principal of Al-Madinah, Andrew Cutts-Mackay, is the head-designate of the Newark School of Enterprise. He told the Newark Advertiser he had taken the job at Al-Madinah on the understanding it was temporary pending the appointment of a Muslim to the post.
http://www.localschoolsnetwork.org.uk/2013/10/closure-of-derby-free-school-raises-more-questions/#sthash.FA9aVfzt.dpuf

Potentially very interesting given what Cathy has previously posted about the inspection practices of private Christian and Muslim faith schools...
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Return to Free For All