P Z Myers in an origins video with five YECs!

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

P Z Myers in an origins video with five YECs!

Postby a_haworthroberts » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:10 am

http://www.answersingenesis.org/store/p ... lelinkedin
Myers and another scientist appearing in the same video documentary as the liars Ham, Purdom, Menton, Lisle and Mortenson! Was that wise (it may have been I've not seen the end result)? Oddly Myers appears not to have mentioned 'Origins of the Universe' on his blog - I trust he does know that comments of his feature there?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fbgh0qkTL8
I believe Todd Cantelon may be some kind of creationist (he's certainly a church pastor), and five hardline YEC speakers spouting nonsense about eg the Grand Canyon vs two bona fide scientists HARDLY seems balanced. But that's America for you.

http://www.dbmfilm.com/origins/trailer.html
Although DBM Films are not obviously pro-Christian or indeed pro-creationist, this production looks to me rather like bias pretending at neutrality. Ken Ham is calling it 'excellent' which gives me the creeps about it. I suspect that it has been 'carefully' edited - something Ray Comfort is skilled at.

The film appears to be aimed particularly at teenagers.
a_haworthroberts

Re: P Z Myers in an origins video with five YECs!

Postby a_haworthroberts » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:26 am

Ham is also going on about this video here: http://blogs.answersingenesis.org/blogs ... t-new-dvd/

Looks like it's some kind of attempted 'stitch up'. The next post will flag any salient comments by Ham (maybe he only thinks it's 'excellent' because he's in it but I don't think he is vain in quite that way).
a_haworthroberts

Postby a_haworthroberts » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:31 am

Ham: "Of course, it’s obvious that the biblical creationists are able to make far more sense of the evidence than the evolutionists!"
Only by cherry picking, only by cherry picking. There's no evidence for instance that Earth was originally covered in water from 'day one'. Nor of past water 'above the sky'.
It's also suspicious that no pro-science Christians get the chance to speak (assuming Dr Polly Winsor is not a practising Christian). Instead we get four dishonest ideologues from Answers in Genesis plus the appalling Jason Lisle who has moved from there to the ICR.

Attempted stitch Up. And I have not even had the chance to see it.
a_haworthroberts

Postby a_haworthroberts » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:35 am

a_haworthroberts

Postby Brian Jordan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:34 pm

Dawkins was stitched up, so it wouldn't be surprising if they tried it with PZ. However, the Dawkins incident should have forewarned him of any set-up interviews so it would more likely be video-quotemining that any seamsters and seamstresses would use.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Peter Henderson » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:43 pm

How exactly are any of those young earth creationist "experts" expert in anything ?
Peter Henderson

Postby a_haworthroberts » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:58 pm

Jason Lisle is an expert in misusing Logic. And in gymnastic exercises that explain away the very copious and compelling evidence for a very old universe.

Menton is an expert in defrauding the public about 'Lucy'.

Mortenson is an expert in science denial in general.

Purdom is an expert in cooking up bizarre claims about genetics (one of which I debunked a few months ago) and the Galapagos.

Ham is an expert in beguiling people and in convincing unintelligent Christians that nobody understand science like him (though he is afraid to debate science with adult scientists who disagree with him, preferring instead to indoctrinate kids and also church pastors with no science background).
a_haworthroberts

Postby cathy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:44 am

that nobody understand science like him
He'd be right there, he does bring a unique take to the subject of science, and reality come to that.

Jason Lisle is an expert in misusing Logic. And in gymnastic exercises that explain away the very copious and compelling evidence for a very old universe.

Yep to give them their due, they are the most accomplished liars and deceivers you could ever hope to come across.
cathy

Postby Roger Stanyard » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:26 am

cathy wrote:
that nobody understand science like him
He'd be right there, he does bring a unique take to the subject of science, and reality come to that.

Yep to give them their due, they are the most accomplished liars and deceivers you could ever hope to come across.

Alas, Cathy, in my real world job of communications, I've learned the hard way that you cannot debate with a huge swath of Americans of a right wing pursuasion. The movement nowadays looks to be headed by heirs of the John Birch Society, having moved n from the Neo-cons and their ludicrous beliefs in foreign policy and, before that, the fundamentalists. Best to walk away from them rather than debate.

I still don't really understand the cultural underpinnings of the extremism but it appears to be a combination of fundamentalist Calvinism, paranoia and an inability to accept loss of face.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby jon_12091 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:37 am

a_haworthroberts wrote:Although DBM Films are not obviously pro-Christian or indeed pro-creationist, this production looks to me rather like bias pretending at neutrality. Ken Ham is calling it 'excellent' which gives me the creeps about it. I suspect that it has been 'carefully' edited - something Ray Comfort is skilled at.

Also PZ, like Dawkins, can probably be relied upon to give the 'wrong' answers that creationists have been repeatedly told to expect from their ilk....
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Postby a_haworthroberts » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:12 pm

I am unsure how to read the silence of P Z Myers about this. Perhaps he regrets participating or regrets how the film was edited (assuming he has seen the final result). Or perhaps he does not but also does not wish to draw attention to the film.
a_haworthroberts

Return to Free For All