Human origins

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Human origins

Postby Roger Stanyard » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:01 am

Thee is some vey intresting science being reported in this New York Times report yesterday: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/05/scien ... eries.html

Sadly the comments section has the usually commelction of creationists trying to "debunk" it. It's sad that in the second decade of the 21st century that so many Americans seem locked into the 9th century.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Re: Human origins

Postby Peter Henderson » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:18 am

Sadly the comments section has the usually commelction of creationists trying to "debunk" it. It's sad that in the second decade of the 21st century that so many Americans seem locked into the 9th century.

Noticed that one myself Roger.

After watching that BBC report on teaching methods in South Korea the other night, it made me realise just how silly young Earth creationism actually is. It must be one of the daftest ideas ever to come out of western civilisation. How millions of people across the developed world buy into it is beyond me.

I have no doubt that in years to come all the major scientific developments will come from the far east, particularly in countries like China and South Korea.

I can see the US in particular getting left badly behind.
Peter Henderson

Postby Roger Stanyard » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:30 am

Peter Henderson wrote:

Noticed that one myself Roger.

After watching that BBC report on teaching methods in South Korea the other night, it made me realise just how silly young Earth creationism actually is. It must be one of the daftest ideas ever to come out of western civilisation. How millions of people across the developed world buy into it is beyond me.

I have no doubt that in years to come all the major scientific developments will come from the far east, particularly in countries like China and South Korea.

I can see the US in particular getting left badly behind.

It's ironic that acceptance of creationism is widespread in South Korea. The US evangelicals have made deep inroads into religious belief there.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Brian Jordan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:33 am

Not a problem for creationists, Roger. The very fact that it contains DNA will prove - to them - that it's not more than 6,000 years old. The only puzzle it will present them with is working out which of Noah's crew Denis and his family of 'ovians was descended from.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby a_haworthroberts » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:14 pm

I mentioned this general 'early hominin mitochondrial DNA' story under News and Links yesterday. As well as yesterday's BBC TV News report, there's also this article (only skimmed): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25193442

EDIT: I've just spotted this as well (covers the recent Schweitzer 'iron' story also, on which I have commented in another thread following the same very recent comments by Elizabeth Mitchell in particular that the blogger Joel analyses).
http://thenaturalhistorian.com/2013/12/ ... equencing/
a_haworthroberts

Postby Brian Jordan » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:36 am

Thanks Ashley - that second article does a nice demolition job. It turns the creationist nonsense on itself and in effect sets up a new clock, DNA degradation, if not to measure then to show long ages.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Return to Free For All