Great thread at EvC

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Great thread at EvC

Postby Atheoscanadensis » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:05 pm

Hi all. I just thought I should direct peoples' attention to this thread over at EvC: http://www.evcforum.net/dm.php?control= ... mpp=15&p=2

It contains a bunch of well-researched posts supporting the reliability of using dendrochronology, lake varves and radiometric dating. Even if the information is familiar to you, it is an excellent resource for references supporting arguments for the reliability of these methods. Enjoy!
Atheoscanadensis

Re: Great thread at EvC

Postby a_haworthroberts » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:25 am

Atheoscanadensis wrote:Hi all. I just thought I should direct peoples' attention to this thread over at EvC: http://www.evcforum.net/dm.php?control= ... mpp=15&p=2

It contains a bunch of well-researched posts supporting the reliability of using dendrochronology, lake varves and radiometric dating. Even if the information is familiar to you, it is an excellent resource for references supporting arguments for the reliability of these methods. Enjoy!

Thanks. (My computer's playing up so haven't looked as yet.)
a_haworthroberts

Postby Brian Jordan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:09 pm

My goodness, what an example of the aphorism which I shall bowlderise to "It takes but a moment to make a mess on the carpet, but ages to clean it off":
mindspawn writes:

The half-life of Uranium-Thorium is not independently established in a laboratory...

... Creationists have a way of cramming huge amounts of misinformation into a small number of words, and the above 13 words are no exception.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Brian Jordan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:33 pm

Well, I've waded through two pages of massive put-down and debunking now and the creationist is still persisting in coming over like a troublesome child. Enough!
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Atheoscanadensis » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:10 am

Brian Jordan wrote:Well, I've waded through two pages of massive put-down and debunking now and the creationist is still persisting in coming over like a troublesome child. Enough!

Heh, you're wasting your time if you read it expecting Mindspawn to admit he's wrong about the reliability of these dating methods. As you point out, it's very easy for him to toss out sources of error unsupported by any evidence. But at the very l east you can read some very detailed posts that utterly destroy every objection to the validity of dendrochronology and varve stratigraphy. And because the posts are so well researched it provides an excellent source for references. Not that creationists really care about references. Another poster on the forum called Faith recently said "I feel sorry for people who try to address these things with scientific citations when it's so simply a matter of clearheaded observation." But references are the main reason I directed attention to it. Although I must it is satisfying to see creationist arguments annihilated so thoroughly, even if he always comes back with new nonsense.
Atheoscanadensis

Postby Brian Jordan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:56 pm

Indeed, it's full of excellent stuff. I just lost sight of that in my horror at the serial denial. Not to mention impudence.
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Roger Stanyard » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:41 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:Indeed, it's full of excellent stuff. I just lost sight of that in my horror at the serial denial. Not to mention impudence.

It wouldn't surprise me that Old Harry is looking at Scumspawn's antics there.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Brian Jordan » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:48 pm

Meanwhile, another datable sequence has been found: batshit. Just the thing for the batshit crazy to have to struggle with.
A cave on the northwestern coast of Sumatra holds a remarkable record of big tsunamis in the Indian Ocean.

The limestone opening, close to Banda Aceh, retains the sandy deposits washed ashore by huge, earthquake-induced waves over thousands of years.

Scientists are using the site to help determine the frequency of catastrophes like the event of 26 December 2004.

This is being done by dating the cave's tsunami-borne sediments, which are easy to see between layers of bat droppings.
There is indeed an excellent picture of the layers.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25269698
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Roger Stanyard » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:31 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:Indeed, it's full of excellent stuff. I just lost sight of that in my horror at the serial denial. Not to mention impudence.

Scumspawn appears to have done a runner!
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Brian Jordan » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:13 pm

Roger Stanyard wrote:Scumspawn appears to have done a runner!
Ooops! Missed the allusion the first time round. :lol:
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Return to Free For All