Over-zealous posters/spammers

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Over-zealous posters/spammers

Postby Michael » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:19 pm

I get fed up with so many posts by one person. It is making me ignore the site :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Michael

Re: Over-zealous posters/spammers

Postby Brian Jordan » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:47 pm

There was a modification to phpBB that allowed admins to limit the number of posts a member could make per day or week but it had bugs and afaik was not incorporated into the main system. Although it seemed to have been much wanted and appreciated. I doubt it would be fair to ask our phpBB admin to try to implement it.
Perhaps instead the offender will take notice?
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby a_haworthroberts » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:18 pm

What is the offence, please (yes I KNOW you mean me)?

Let us see who else declares themselves 'fed up' - assuming that other people here believe in democracy.

If you want to limit how posts people can make - GO AHEAD. Perhaps that would be a good idea.

Until then I do not know what the 'problem' is.

And yes I WILL stop copying any emails to the committee as someone else has today requested - unless it is something I think they need to know about.

Today's lesson - how to alienate members of the discussion forum?

Not subtle.
a_haworthroberts

Postby a_haworthroberts » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:16 pm

I accept that the number of posts has been high, and I will seek to cut it down (which may be easier than dieting or giving up something for Lent).
a_haworthroberts

Postby Peter Henderson » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:38 am

a_haworthroberts wrote:I accept that the number of posts has been high, and I will seek to cut it down (which may be easier than dieting or giving up something for Lent).

I wouldn't take it personal Ashley.

I enjoy reading your posts.
Peter Henderson

Postby jon_12091 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:39 am

A bit of 'topic' discipline might not hurt, this forum is pretty lax compared to some on threads going "off-topic", but thats not just Ashley...
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Postby Roger Stanyard » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:11 am

jon_12091 wrote:A bit of 'topic' discipline might not hurt, this forum is pretty lax compared to some on threads going "off-topic", but thats not just Ashley...

There isn't any point in trying to debate or discuss science with creationists. Nowadays they rarely turn up in any sort of science forum and are becoming increasingly marginalised.

The real trick is to expose their creationism and methods to the rest of the world - to show just how bigoted and dishonest they are. That, too, has largely been done and the creationists, today, are going nowehere.

Alas, the fundamentalists have a new category of bigotry, the anti-gay movement. My guess, for what it is worth, is that they will lose that battle as well and spectacularly. In the USA the young are abandoning fundamentalism in droves and fundamentalist bigotry is the clear reason.

The fundamentalists have well and truly lost the political battle inthe USA. As their movement shrinks, it gets more and more extreme and thus more and more unpopular and sidelined.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Peter Henderson » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:23 am

I think Ashley has done a pretty good job on many occasions.
Peter Henderson

Postby Roger Stanyard » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:53 am

Peter Henderson wrote:I think Ashley has done a pretty good job on many occasions.

Indeed. The problem is that most people using this forum typically spend very little time on it. We dip in for a minute or so and then get on with work or watching the TV or whatever. It makes it difficult to follow long threads or large postings. These days I use LinkedIn a lot and have come to the conclusion there that one posting a week is sufficient.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:55 pm

I do go off topic a lot.
cathy

Postby Roger Stanyard » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:14 pm

cathy wrote:I do go off topic a lot.

Your posts are great and well liked.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Michael » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:57 pm

Roger Stanyard wrote:
cathy wrote:I do go off topic a lot.

Your posts are great and well liked.

Thoughtful , provocative and funny as well :D
Michael

Postby a_haworthroberts » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:27 pm

I've just returned to this forum to read new posts for the FIRST time since last Sunday night - a decision I took last Sunday night (every spammer needs a sabbatical once in a while!!).

I agree with eg Roger that attempted discussion with and challenges to hardline young earth creationists about their online claims can be a waste of time especially if you are already busy - they are NOT for turning and you aren't going to suddenly 'see the light' in their articles either. However, my (sometimes lengthy) posts reporting my communications to/with them via their websites or by (widely copied) email, normally posted in the 'Conversations with Creationists' section which Brian helpfully set up, are intended to document QUESTIONS that they refuse to answer/cannot answer/block (because they too think I am a bit of a spammer) or suggested ANSWERS that they refuse to acknowledge never mind challenge (assuming again that they dare read them). I suppose I regard it as legitimate - and a bit of a sport - to REMIND YECs regularly that they adopt a faith position that is completely irrational when it comes to science. I know they will dig their heels in. But another YEC might read the material and notice the REFUSAL of the YECs in question even to engage with any detailed criticism.

What follows below is three posts (combined into ONE, with gaps) that I composed during the past week. I acknowledge all the comments above, but will not edit my words AT ALL in the light of viewing this thread again today, simply post them as they were originally drafted during last week.
a_haworthroberts

Postby a_haworthroberts » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:50 pm

Last Sunday night I fully explained and defended my recent actions to the BCSE committee by email. Last Monday night I informed them that I would eventually be coming back to this community forum - but not until today.
No member of the committee even acknowledged my emails, much less replied to them.
I am putting on record that unless and until doing so would break a specific rule I WILL NOT BE COWED FROM MAKING FURTHER POSTS HERE MERELY BECAUSE SOME PERSON UNKNOWN MIGHT AS A CONSEQUENCE BE 'STOPPED' FROM POSTING. I know it is unfashionable in some quarters - mainly in fundamentalist religion and oppressive states - but I happen to believe in FREEDOM OF SPEECH. [written last Monday; more recently Brian responded to part of a separate email of mine to the committee that informed them that a YEC who replied to an email I sent was accusing the "Humanist spawned" BCSE of "controlling the debate, closing down all discussion, and restricting public access to opposing views and information"]

Overzealous - possibly (due to disability I have time on my hands);
Do I spam some YEC websites and YECs who banned me merely for disagreeing - arguably;
'Spammer' of this community forum - I REJECT any such accusation. I agree that some of my posts did not foster discussion - they were an online record of questions I have posed to YECs and which they cannot answer or refuse to answer (a recent one was how does the 'no new information' and the 'no new morphological features' rule they proclaim apply to 'rapid post-flood diversification within kinds').
If a committee member thinks I 'spam' this community forum, they should approach me PRIVATELY first rather than start a negative thread (when it is fairly obvious who they are accusing).
That said I will seek to cut back on my posts as mentioned before. EVEN IF NOBODY ELSE IS POSTING AT THE TIME. [written last Tuesday]

As mentioned I twice emailed the BCSE committee in response to this 'spammer' thread being started on the community forum. I told them that I consider the thread to be out of order. I also explained that I have time on my hands due to being almost unemployable (following a breakdown early in 2004) and being a wheelchair user* (an indirect
consequence of the breakdown), which is why I frequently contact young Earth creationists online and report on the community forum various questions they refuse to answer. I also pointed out that I attempt to add more science content on the forum as sometimes that is lacking. And I undertook voluntarily to try and cut down on the number of posts I make even though only two people - the spokesperson for the BCSE and his fellow committee member who moderates this forum - have expressed
dismay about the volume of posts.
I believe it would have been much better had Michael and also Brian (as applicable) initially contacted me PRIVATELY asking me to please consider reducing the volume of my posts on the forum in case that deters others from expressing their opinions there, and saying that if I refused they might then go 'public' with their concerns on
the forum. Or - should it be the case that three or more of the committee were similarly minded - then the committee as a whole could have contacted me by email or private mail.
I have received NO response apart from silence from committee members to my emails aimed at Michael and Brian. Thus I conclude that they accept my explanations for my recent actions on the community forum - or at least do not plan to challenge my explanations.
Thus, if nobody else comments here in response to this post, I will regard this matter as CLOSED and MOVE ON. [written last Wednesday]

* You can see my photo at my Amazon.com book reviews if you wish.
a_haworthroberts

Postby Peter Henderson » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:15 am

Welcome back Ashley.
Peter Henderson

Next

Return to Free For All