The Rev Ex-Big Ken Scam gets a bashing

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

The Rev Ex-Big Ken Scam gets a bashing

Postby Roger Stanyard » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:00 pm

From the Christian Post: Progressive Christians, or those who believe in evolution, are "more dangerous to Christianity than the atheists" are, says Creation Museum CEO and President Ken Ham. He made the argument in response to criticism that his insistence on Young Earth Creationism is driving believers away.

"Apparently they call this sort of thing 'Progressive Christianity.' I guess that means 'evolving Christianity' – whatever the secular world believes about where they came from, you accept that as infallible and then change their assumed fallible Word of God to fit! So sad," Ham wrote on Facebook Friday, as he was responding to a critical post written about him in the "Unfundamentalist Christians" blog about his upcoming debate with "The Science Guy" Bill Nye in February.

The blog, which expresses its beliefs in Jesus Christ and the Bible but rejects some traditional teachings on subjects like hell and homosexuality, argued on Thursday that young people are not dismissing the Bible because they are being taught evolution, but because people like Ham are "telling them what it (the Bible) says and means, rather than letting them seek that out for themselves."

"Mr. Ham, they're leaving the church because of people like you: people who fervently create walls, erect barriers, establish rigid rules for what one must believe in order to be a Christian," the blog continued, arguing that Ham's version of Christianity is not about right practice but about "right belief."

"They're leaving the church because by essentially demonizing everyone who doesn't agree with you, you've made believing in Young Earth Creationism* more important than Jesus' explicit commandment to love God and neighbor."

In his post on Friday, the Creation Museum CEO called the article a personal attack against him, and said that it holds "man's word as infallible and God's Word as fallible."

Follow us

"Any attack on the WORD is an attack on Christ the WORD," Ham insisted.

The much-anticipated debate between Ham and Nye in February, tickets for which sold out within minutes on Monday, will focus on the question: "Is creation a viable model of origins in today's modern scientific world?"
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Re: The Rev Ex-Big Ken Scam gets a bashing

Postby cathy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:53 pm

Yep would struggle to disagree with anything in that post. Why I left the church and can't see anything in creationism that could possibly appeal to any thinking person.
cathy

Postby Roger Stanyard » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:13 pm

cathy wrote:Yep would struggle to disagree with anything in that post. Why I left the church and can't see anything in creationism that could possibly appeal to any thinking person.

The irony is that ex-Big Ken Scam is a Baptist and, for the most part, Baptists in the UK accept evolutionary biology.

But, then Scam is pushing the smear tactic, that any Christian who does not accept his line is, somehow, evil.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby jon_12091 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:31 pm

"They're leaving the church because by essentially demonizing everyone who doesn't agree with you, you've made believing in Young Earth Creationism* more important than Jesus' explicit commandment to love God and neighbor."

No!

The irony of Ken Ham being a baptist is bigger than just the general acceptance by most UK Baptists that the Bible can be authoritative but need not necessarily be entirely literal, but that Baptists have a very strong tradition of religious toleration. Which came from people who had actually been persecuted for their beliefs, and treated partially by the law, as opposed to just being told you're making stuff up and that then peddling said stuff as science is wrong.
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Postby Peter Henderson » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:07 am

Baptists in the UK accept evolutionary biology.

I'd strongly disagree Roger.

I would suspect most Baptist churches in the UK are YEC now. Certainly on this side of the Irish sea they are, to a greater or lesser extent. I would have thought the mainland would be no different.
Peter Henderson

Postby Roger Stanyard » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:12 am

Peter Henderson wrote:
Baptists in the UK accept evolutionary biology.

I'd strongly disagree Roger.

I would suspect most Baptist churches in the UK are YEC now. Certainly on this side of the Irish sea they are, to a greater or lesser extent. I would have thought the mainland would be no different.

We did this research about 3006/7 so it''s a bit dated but we found that creationism was rare amongst Baptost Union churches in the UK. However, it was widesperad amongst Baptist churches that were not part of the Union (i.e. a minority).
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Brian Jordan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:18 am

I was surprised this morning to read about one aspect of the Hampire: broadcasting:
AiG produces a daily radio feature called Answers…with Ken Ham which airs on over 860 domestic stations and over 450 international outlets. It also hosts more than 350 “teaching events” across the United States each year. Ken Ham and his followers seek to eliminate the teaching of evolution in public schools.
That sounds like a lot of stations, even for the USA. How small will they be, Roger?
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/unfundamentalistchristians/2014/01/young-earth-creationists-make-their-point/
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Roger Stanyard » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:57 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:I was surprised this morning to read about one aspect of the Hampire: broadcasting:
AiG produces a daily radio feature called Answers…with Ken Ham which airs on over 860 domestic stations and over 450 international outlets. It also hosts more than 350 “teaching events” across the United States each year. Ken Ham and his followers seek to eliminate the teaching of evolution in public schools.
That sounds like a lot of stations, even for the USA. How small will they be, Roger?
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/unfundamentalistchristians/2014/01/young-earth-creationists-make-their-point/

I don't know but typically such stations use frequencies that mainstream radio broadcasters don't want so they tend to be patchy in coverage. Still, virtually all are online these days so they have universal coverage. Few of the religious stations will have audience reach much above the low hundreds of thousands and most much less - maybe 10,000 or less. Typically how they make their money is to sell "broadcasting slots" in their schedules to the likes of Ham. The likes of Ham than pass round a collection plate which pays for the slots. You may well find that Ham/AiG may only have a half hour slot once a day or once a week on a given station.

860 stations sounds a lot but given that the USA is basically half a continent with a population of 320 million, it's not that impressive.

My understanding is that just about any flea pit town in the back of beyond in the USA will have a selection of local religious radio channels.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Return to Free For All