Andrew Sibley's new book ?

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Andrew Sibley's new book ?

Postby Peter Henderson » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:27 am

Seems it's easy enough for anyone wishing to challenge science to get a book published these days:

Cracking the Darwin Code: Exploring the Non-Scientific Foundations of Deep-Time and Evolution [Paperback]
John D Matthews (Foreword), Andrew Mark Sibley (Author)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cracking-Darwin ... roduct_top

Two favourable reviews on Amazon:

A. Halloway (Nottingham, UK)

Fascinating exploration of how centuries of non-scientific ideas about evolution fed into the final theory that Darwin came up with. Also shows how contradictory evidence was suppressed in the 19th century by liberal scientists, theologians and politicians who had an anti-Bible agenda.

Dr. A. C. Latham (Scotland)

Andrew Sibley has written a very well researched book that gives considerable historical and philosophical detail in a short space. The influences of various religions and philosophies upon scientists over time are explained in a scholarly way. It is heavily referenced and provides a good foundation for anyone who wants to research this area. I strongly recommend it as such, which is why I am giving it 4 stars.
His main thrust is that Darwinism, Old Earth science and science that denies a Universal flood are all highly influenced and distorted because of pagan philosophies and religious concepts, which are essentially anti-biblical. To anyone like myself who also believes that scientists such as Darwin were not fully objective because of such influences, this was a very interesting and worthwhile read.
Having said that, the book I believe links such pagan ideas too rigidly, for example, with current geology and dating of the earth. The current estimate of the age of the earth is 4.6 billion years. The fact that this is about the period of one day of Brahma is seen as no coincidence. It is highly unlikely however that those who have come to the 4.6 billion year date have even heard of such a 'day of Brahma'and I would question how much this has anything to do with the theory.
The scientific evidence given to support the young earth (mainly 'catastrophic' plate tectonics) and universal flood is perhaps necessarily very brief but leaves many questions. Not least is the fact of progressive fossil changes as one looks further from the mid Atlantic ridge, radiometric dating showing much older rocks on the bed further from the trench and regular North/South polarity changes seen on the Atlantic ocean bed. In the end Christians such as I who believe in an old earth and localized flood of the known world need an open mind - but much more convincing. All of which leads one to hope that these contentious issues will be one day resolved by genuinely objective science unhindered by any prior philosophies - even the issue of whether Genesis is primarily literal or allegorical.

The usual suspects ?
Peter Henderson

Re: Andrew Sibley's new book ?

Postby Michael » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:54 am

Having discussed with Sibley for years, I find his grasp of history bizarre. He has a totally weird interpretation.

I would love to see him present it to a HOGG meeting (History of Geology Group of the Geol soc). I would not be able to get in a word edgeways.

It is the history equivalent of flood geology - not rooted in reality

Can anyone send me a free copy?
Michael

Postby Brian Jordan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:49 am

Peter Henderson wrote:Seems it's easy enough for anyone wishing to challenge science to get a book published these days:

Cracking the Darwin Code: Exploring the Non-Scientific Foundations of Deep-Time and Evolution [Paperback]
Amazon will market anything legal these days and I think they may even publish books for people. They will handle books from vanity publishers, self-publishing authors and print-on-demand publishers. And micro-publishers, which seems to be the path Sibley has gone down. His book is published by Fastnet (appropriately with the anthropomophic equivalent of a crockoduck on the cover in the form of a Merman). Fastnet seem to be offering only one book on their site: Zion's New Name, also by Andrew Sibley. It is the answer to Michael's request: they'll send him a free copy and not even ask for postage. I suppose it might be a while yet though before they're similarly ditching Sibley's latest offering.
Incidentally, Fastnet is based in the village of Colyton where a number of Sibleys are to be found. Andrew lives nearby in Exeter. One wonders whether micro-publishing may be verging on self-publishing?
http://www.fastnet-publications.co.uk/id1.html
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Roger Stanyard » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:01 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:
Peter Henderson wrote:Seems it's easy enough for anyone wishing to challenge science to get a book published these days:

Amazon will market anything legal these days and I think they may even publish books for people. They will handle books from vanity publishers, self-publishing authors and print-on-demand publishers. And micro-publishers, which seems to be the path Sibley has gone down. His book is published by Fastnet (appropriately with the anthropomophic equivalent of a crockoduck on the cover in the form of a Merman). Fastnet seem to be offering only one book on their site: Zion's New Name, also by Andrew Sibley. It is the answer to Michael's request: they'll send him a free copy and not even ask for postage. I suppose it might be a while yet though before they're similarly ditching Sibley's latest offering.
Incidentally, Fastnet is based in the village of Colyton where a number of Sibleys are to be found. Andrew lives nearby in Exeter. One wonders whether micro-publishing may be verging on self-publishing?
http://www.fastnet-publications.co.uk/id1.html

I note that I never see any creationist books in the book shops in the town where I live. It has a disproportionate number of such establishments given its size. In contrast, they stock a large number of books by the likes of Richard Dawkins.

Not the same, though, as in the USA, where, typically, about a third of the books on sale are religious. Americans don't read much in the way of books, though.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Return to Free For All