How NOT to defend evolution

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

How NOT to defend evolution

Postby Paul Braterman » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:29 pm

(Come to think of it, have I misframed the problem by using the word "defend", as if there were something that could meaningfully be attacked?) Anyway, my critique of a well-meaning but disastrous article in Forbes: How NOT To Defend Evolution; With Friends Like These Who Needs Enemies? http://wp.me/p21T1L-bw.

Evolution is fact as well as theory. There is no scientific controversy about this. It has advanced way beyond what Darwin could have imagined, and well-meaning commentators who forget this risk doing more harm than good.

On Friday, the Forbes Magazine website carried an article entitled Creationism Has No Place In A Science Class. While sincerely intended as a defence of evolution, this article is so laden with rhetorical, logical, historical, and scientific errors that it plays straight into the hands of the creationists. If anyone were to defend atomic theory in the same way that this article defends evolution, the absurdities would be obvious. It is a sad comment on the extent to which we have allowed the enemies of reason to dictate the agenda, that articles like this continue to see the light of day.

And so on.
Paul Braterman
Paul Braterman

Re:

Postby a_haworthroberts » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:24 pm

Just caught sight of this. No comments underneath it so far so I assume it is 'hot off the presses':
http://sensuouscurmudgeon.wordpress.com ... ol-boards/

(I mainly went to this blog site to see whether there are any more comments since late last night under the earlier post about all the latest nonsense on the AiG website from Terry Mortenson criticising Daniel Phelps among other things.)

EDIT: a commenter has flagged this. Please note that Mortenson has decided to place some FACTS on the table.
http://blogs.answersingenesis.org/blogs ... 7s+Blog%29
a_haworthroberts

Re: How NOT to defend evolution

Postby Paul Braterman » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:00 pm

Off topic, but the Christian institute of newcastle-upon-Tyne doesn't understand the Scottish petition process. Despite Govt opposition, the Petitions Committee has allowed the petition to go forward to the next stage, and the Govt may yet change its mind. Or even have its mind changed for it, since it’s not the kind of issue where Govt could impose a choice on its MSPs (Members of the Scottish Parliament).

But that's another story altogether. Could I respectfully ask that the thread now return to its topic?
Paul Braterman
Paul Braterman

Re:

Postby a_haworthroberts » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:26 pm

Paul Braterman wrote:Off topic, but the Christian institute of newcastle-upon-Tyne doesn't understand the Scottish petition process. Despite Govt opposition, the Petitions Committee has allowed the petition to go forward to the next stage, and the Govt may yet change its mind. Or even have its mind changed for it, since it’s not the kind of issue where Govt could impose a choice on its MSPs (Members of the Scottish Parliament).

But that's another story altogether. Could I respectfully ask that the thread now return to its topic?

With respect I was simply trying to be helpful since you are in SCOTLAND.

I keep falling foul of committee members of the BCSE it would seem.
a_haworthroberts

Re: How NOT to defend evolution

Postby cathy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:00 pm

Off topic, but I learnt a lot about the differences between religion in schools in Scotland and England from Paul and his blog. Very different things as far as I can see. Scotland does seem to be light years behind England
cathy

Return to Free For All