New creationist film ?

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

New creationist film ?

Postby Peter Henderson » Wed May 07, 2014 1:16 am

A new film entitled "a matter of faith" is being flagged up on the AiG website. Apparently some Christians and Atheists will hate it. In any case, the trailer's dreadful:

https://www.goh.co.uk/flesh-and-blood-women
Peter Henderson
 
Posts: 4351
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:07 pm
Location: Jordanstown, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland

Re: New creationist film ?

Postby Brian Jordan » Wed May 07, 2014 9:56 am

I can't see anything AiG'sh there Peter - just an announcement of a play, name as in your link.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
User avatar
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin
 
Posts: 4216
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:59 pm

Re: New creationist film ?

Postby Peter Henderson » Wed May 07, 2014 10:26 am

Brian Jordan wrote:I can't see anything AiG'sh there Peter - just an announcement of a play, name as in your link.


http://www.answersingenesis.org/creatio ... r-of-faith

Atheists and compromising Christians are going to hate A Matter of Faith! It’s a great new movie! If you’ve followed my blog or the AiG website for very long at all, you know that we don’t endorse very many movies—not even many of those that are supposedly “Christian” based. But we are getting fully behind A Matter of Faith!

I’ve seen the film’s trailer and Roger Patterson of our staff—the author of the Evolution Exposed books and a lead writer of our Answers Bible Curriculum—has been a content consultant on this new film. Dale Mason, the publisher of our Answers magazine, and Dr. Georgia Purdom of our science/research staff have seen the full-cut of the film, and they love it. The producer is still finishing up the music and titles, and he plans to show it to me once all that is done


http://www.answersingenesis.org/creatio ... r-of-faith

No doubt the biology professor will "lose" the "debate".
Peter Henderson
 
Posts: 4351
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:07 pm
Location: Jordanstown, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland

Re: New creationist film ?

Postby Peter Henderson » Fri May 09, 2014 5:34 pm

Some more comments:

http://www.godofevolution.com/more-like ... ign=buffer

But what is most concerning to me about this movie is that everything about it, from its trailer to its synopsis to its gushy praise from the likes of Ken Ham, screams the old saw that “evolution” means “atheism,” and Christianity just ain’t Christianity without good ol’-fashioned young-earth creationism.

Movies like this do not spread the gospel. They don’t reach non-Christians because they caricaturize non-Christians as willfully ignorant scoundrels. As surprising as it may be, a pro-faith pitch to atheists that begins with, “I know everything there is to know about you, I don’t like you, and I consider you an enemy of me and my God,” doesn’t tend to push people to know more about Jesus.

Nor do these kinds of saccharine, subtle-as-a-stack-of-Bibles-falling-on-your-head messages nourish the church. They propagate the absurdly unbiblical idea that a six-day creation 6,000 years ago is a central, non-negotiable tenet of the Christian faith. They encourage further insulation by believers — because we already know all we need to and outsiders can’t be trusted (in fact, they may very well be conspiring against us). And they further entrench the battle lines in a toxic, suffocating debate that has produced nothing good in the past 50 years.

In the end, they do nothing but engender more culture war. Just what we all need.


Ashley may like to note that Sorenson chips in with a comment at the end:

Question Evol Proj •

Why do you hate Christians who actually believe the Bible? Why the need to put them down and assume that

"Movies like this do not spread the gospel. They don’t reach
non-Christians because they caricaturize non-Christians as willfully
ignorant scoundrels". Can you back up your statement, or do we have to assume that because you said it, therefore, it is true
Peter Henderson
 
Posts: 4351
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:07 pm
Location: Jordanstown, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland

Re: New creationist film ?

Postby Roger Stanyard » Sat May 10, 2014 9:50 am

Peter Henderson wrote:Some more comments:

http://www.godofevolution.com/more-like ... ign=buffer

But what is most concerning to me about this movie is that everything about it, from its trailer to its synopsis to its gushy praise from the likes of Ken Ham, screams the old saw that “evolution” means “atheism,” and Christianity just ain’t Christianity without good ol’-fashioned young-earth creationism.

Movies like this do not spread the gospel. They don’t reach non-Christians because they caricaturize non-Christians as willfully ignorant scoundrels. As surprising as it may be, a pro-faith pitch to atheists that begins with, “I know everything there is to know about you, I don’t like you, and I consider you an enemy of me and my God,” doesn’t tend to push people to know more about Jesus.

Nor do these kinds of saccharine, subtle-as-a-stack-of-Bibles-falling-on-your-head messages nourish the church. They propagate the absurdly unbiblical idea that a six-day creation 6,000 years ago is a central, non-negotiable tenet of the Christian faith. They encourage further insulation by believers — because we already know all we need to and outsiders can’t be trusted (in fact, they may very well be conspiring against us). And they further entrench the battle lines in a toxic, suffocating debate that has produced nothing good in the past 50 years.

In the end, they do nothing but engender more culture war. Just what we all need.


Ashley may like to note that Sorenson chips in with a comment at the end:



The US fundamentalists are shit scared, Peter. Membership of Southern Baptist churches is plumeting. Fundamentalist universities such as the BJU are shrinking. They've lost the battle over gay rights, gone nowhere with their anti-abortion movement and have achieved nothing in getting creationism taught in state schools. Their coalition with conservative Catholics increasingly looks to be unsustainable. Not surprisingly, some are now increasingly advocating violence to achieve their ends (see the Cliven Bundy thing). Even Pat Robertson and Fox News have concluded that some of them are far too extreme.

So, as always, they continue to resort to their martyrdom complex, that everyone is out to get them at every available opportunity. Paranoia, in other words.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
User avatar
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin
 
Posts: 6162
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:59 pm

Re: New creationist film ?

Postby Peter Henderson » Sat May 10, 2014 2:51 pm

gone nowhere with their anti-abortion movement


I'm not so sure about that Roger. I think they've had some success in getting abortion outlawed in some states, or the time reduced to below 12 weeks in others.

. Their coalition with conservative Catholics increasingly looks to be unsustainable


Sadly, not on the abortion issue in Northern Ireland where the extreme pro life lobby (a mixture of even main stream Protestants and Catholics) continue to call the shots on the issue:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27325363

The situation on abortion in NI is a disgrace.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 57913.html
Peter Henderson
 
Posts: 4351
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:07 pm
Location: Jordanstown, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland

Re: New creationist film ?

Postby Roger Stanyard » Sat May 10, 2014 4:05 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:The situation on abortion in NI is a disgrace.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 57913.html


I noticed a week or so back that the Shinners and SDLP were supporting gay marriage in the debate in the NI Assembly; needless to say the DUP was against it.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
User avatar
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin
 
Posts: 6162
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:59 pm

Re: New creationist film ?

Postby Peter Henderson » Sat May 10, 2014 6:59 pm

Roger Stanyard wrote:
Peter Henderson wrote:The situation on abortion in NI is a disgrace.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 57913.html


I noticed a week or so back that the Shinners and SDLP were supporting gay marriage in the debate in the NI Assembly; needless to say the DUP was against it.


The DUP put forward a petition of concern which meant the proposal had to have cross community support and therefore no chance of being passed. Sinn Féin did the same on a proposal to recriminalize abortion (largely because of the opening of a Marie Stopes clinic in Belfast). The abortion proposals were actually put forward by the DUP's Paul Givan (a YEC who tried to get ID (?) creationism taught in schools in Lisburn in 2007) and, surprisingly (or not) the SDLP's Alban Maginness.

Various parties took different views on the gay marriage vote, but it wasn't just the DUP that voted against it. Several Alliance MLAs voted no, as well as some from the SDLP. The UUP allowed their members to vote according to conscience and again, some UUP MLAs voted no.

Things are not as clear cut here as they would seem Roger.
Peter Henderson
 
Posts: 4351
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:07 pm
Location: Jordanstown, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland

Re: New creationist film ?

Postby cathy » Sat May 10, 2014 9:27 pm

Clear cut or not I suggest there must be a cripplingly low level of women in politics over there for such a situation to arise. Or an awful lack of female voices being listened to on both sides. And the situation isn't that different in the ROI either.

The reason my mum always refused to go back to the ROI was religion and it's treatment of women. Let religion get a grip and the ones that seek power are the worse of it. Then the first humans to lose their rights seem to be women. That's part if the whole fight against creationism isn't it? The fact it is more than just a bunch of morons who cannot think straight. Maybe fighting together for gender equality might solve your problems over there. Unity against anti abortion laws for starters. Moderate sane people from both sides fighting something unrelated to nationalism or unionism. Just a basic human right
cathy
 
Posts: 3665
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:51 pm
Location: Redditch

Re: New creationist film ?

Postby Peter Henderson » Sat May 10, 2014 9:32 pm

I agree completely with you Cathy.

The whole religion in politics thing (on both sides) really does get to me.
Peter Henderson
 
Posts: 4351
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:07 pm
Location: Jordanstown, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland


Return to Free For All

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 7 guests