The MENSA guy is coming to a town near you

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The MENSA guy is coming to a town near you

Postby magnocrat » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:08 am

'Parasites propably cause even more suffering than predators, and understanding their evolutionary rationale adds to rather than mitigates the sense of futility we experience when we contemplate it.
I fulminate against it everytime I get a cold ( I have one now). Maybe its a minor inconvenience, but its so pointless. At least if you are eaten by an anaconda you can feel you have contributed to the well-being of one of the lords of life. When you are eaten by a tiger perhaps your thought could be , what immortal hand or eye could frame thy fearful symmetry.'
A quote from The Greatest Show on Earth by Dawkins notice his own quotes from poetry D H lawrence The Snake and William Blake also his disgust with things as he knows they are.
I had a closer search on IQ it is meant to be your biological intelligence . Some experts give the value as having an error of. five points up or down. Others seem to think we can improve the use of what we've got a sort of parable of the talents. Mr Dawkins is repetitive but so is Mr Darwin its the nature of teachers to bang the point home. It suits my rather thick skull.
magnocrat

Postby Roger Stanyard » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:54 am

magnocrat wrote:'Parasites propably cause even more suffering than predators, and understanding their evolutionary rationale adds to rather than mitigates the sense of futility we experience when we contemplate it.
I fulminate against it everytime I get a cold ( I have one now). Maybe its a minor inconvenience, but its so pointless. At least if you are eaten by an anaconda you can feel you have contributed to the well-being of one of the lords of life. When you are eaten by a tiger perhaps your thought could be , what immortal hand or eye could frame thy fearful symmetry.'
A quote from The Greatest Show on Earth by Dawkins notice his own quotes from poetry D H lawrence The Snake and William Blake also his disgust with things as he knows they are.
I had a closer search on IQ it is meant to be your biological intelligence . Some experts give the value as having an error of. five points up or down. Others seem to think we can improve the use of what we've got a sort of parable of the talents. Mr Dawkins is repetitive but so is Mr Darwin its the nature of teachers to bang the point home. It suits my rather thick skull.

Colds are not caused by parasites. They are cuased by a non-living thing called a virus. If you had the slightest understanding of what IQ means from a professional viewpoint, you would not make that stupid comment by Dawkins. IQ is a layman's term for something that was originally developed to test how stupid (rather than clever) people are. You shouldl try taking an IQ test.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Roger Stanyard » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:29 pm

magnocrat wrote:I do not know if you belong to those who believe with hard work anyone can achieve anything but this is an error that has its origin in the modern attitude to education. There is such a thing as ability and the best measure of this is IQ. Let me be clear I'm not a supporter of eugenics, intelligence is just one measure of the human person, a high IQ does not make you anymore valuble as a person. I could never have become a neuclear phyisist any more than a second Mozart.

Alas, your argument is wrong. Universities don't use intellegence tests to pre-select their students. Nore do the vast majority of employers. They look, instead to the qualifications of applicants and even when they want more info, they turn to presonality tests (such as 16PF or Myers Briggs) or apptitude tests for specific skills. IQ really doesn't mean very much.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby magnocrat » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:06 pm

I'm a great admirer of Mr Dawkins the selected quote was for Cathy to demonstrate that although Richard Dawkins accepted evolution he did not like it. I try to read those I quote unbiasly accepting what seems true. I could quote Charles Darwin to demonstrate he believed men are more intelligent than women, but I do not reject natural selection because he was sometimes wrong.
I am not afraid to tell you my IQ , it is around 105 slightly above average. I failed to get into grammer school and had a very rudimentary education. The good news is I used what I hadin the way of talent and learnt what I could.
magnocrat

Previous

Return to Free For All