Back to Business, Perhaps?

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Timothy Chase » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:19 pm

I think it will be great to have discussions and whatnot. Moreover, it is nice to know that when the need arises due to tempers getting high, others will have the additional discussion boards as places to go and get away from it all - and talk about something else. After the emotionally exhausting last few days of BlackShadow, I believe it was wise to put these in place. But at this time, with the low volume and all - which is in large part a function of the size of our membership, it is probably wise to go with a default message board. I can think of nothing better than the Free For All. We can think of it as our commons or town square.

But at a certain level, I think it would be a mistake to focus too much on the discussions, particularly right away. The central purpose of the BCSE isn't really that of having discussions - that is a lan yap. Primarily, what we are here to do is oppose the introduction of creationism into the schools - and much of this work really has to be done at the level of the individual, whether it is in terms of writing letters or essays, personally contacting other individuals or organisations, or doing research on the web - then sharing the results.

Finally, when we do get back to discussions or debates, it will probably be best to keep in mind the fact that tensions usually won't climb as high as what we had the last few days of BlackShadow - the level of miscommunication we had at that point was somewhat impressive. I believe we are really past that - so for the most part, we can probably take things a little easier and not worry so much.

So if I may make a suggestion: let's get back to business...

PS We might want a couple of members to meet up with the TalkOrigins people in London this Saturday. (See the earlier post.)
Timothy Chase

Postby Ian Lowe » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:13 pm

Hear, hear.

Despite my role in putting much of the "wiring" in place, I feel quite strongly that the tech only exists to enable the campaigning, letters to MPs, press contacts to happen in a more connected way.

It should never be an end in itself. Debates get people fired up, gets them angry. If that anger is not translated into action, then the exercise is pointless.

ian
Ian Lowe

Postby Michael » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:53 pm

We need snipers rather than clumsy machine gunners causing loads of colateral damage

Don't blow it.

Michael

PS over the years I have had more support from friendly atheists and agnostics than Anglican hierarchies.

Has anyone ever seen the film Michael Collins? That gives a lot away as to what I have been trying to do. As soon as I get time time I'll post something on our wiki (password protected) which will explained.

In the meanwhile have a look what he did to the Cairo gang. It didn't need many bullets.

Roger

(Not a member of Sinn Fein.)
Michael

Postby Dave Oldridge » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:12 am

On 12 Oct 2006 at 12:53, Michael wrote:

Have one simple message - Kick Creationsm inot touch and don't
alienate possible allies with concerns about myth, Church and
State, the historical value of the bible or even God.

If you dont then allies will be lost.

After decades I am only now being listened to in the CofE

We need snipers rather than clumsy machine gunnerscausing loads
of colateral damage

Don't blow it.

Michael

PS over the years I have had more support from friendly athists
and agnostics than Anglican hierarchies.

Yep, but once that old Anglo-Catholic tradition decides that
latter-day young-earthism is a heresy, then they'll at least keep
it out of THEIR churches. And they will also want it out of the
schools.

--

Dave Oldridge
ICQ 1800667
VA7CZ
Dave Oldridge+
Dave Oldridge

Postby Roger Stanyard » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:55 am

Michael wrote:We need snipers rather than clumsy machine gunners causing loads of colateral damage

Don't blow it.

Michael

PS over the years I have had more support from friendly atheists and agnostics than Anglican hierarchies.

Has anyone ever seen the film Michael Collins? That gives a lot away as to what I have been trying to do. As soon as I get time time I'll post something on our wiki (password protected) which will explained.

In the meanwhile have a look what he did to the Cairo gang. It didn't need many bullets.

Roger

(Not a member of Sinn Fein.)

Michael,

I inadvertently edited your email yesterday rather than quoting and replying.

Please accept my apologies. It was unintentional.

Roger
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Return to Free For All