Rabble rouser Ken Ham and his biased Facebook fans

Creationist bloggers can be infuriating. If one has infuriated you by persisting in nonsense even when corrected, or refusing to reply to your criiticsm, you may feel driven to recording the fact. If so, you may register your disapproval here and hope a response is forthcoming.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Rabble rouser Ken Ham and his biased Facebook fans

Postby cathy » Sun May 06, 2012 6:10 pm

Creationists do play at being nice when it suits them and always show their victim card
The victim card I've seen many a time - but never niceness.

I'm absolutely sure as individuals outside of their creationist ideology some are very nice - but no sign of that has ever been apparent to me within the creationist sites or writings. Nastiness and maliciousness yes, never niceness - it just seems to discourage it completely. There is nothing positive at all to be said about it.
cathy
 
Posts: 3665
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:51 pm
Location: Redditch

Re: Rabble rouser Ken Ham and his biased Facebook fans

Postby Roger Stanyard » Mon May 07, 2012 7:35 am

cathy wrote:
Creationists do play at being nice when it suits them and always show their victim card
The victim card I've seen many a time - but never niceness.

I'm absolutely sure as individuals outside of their creationist ideology some are very nice - but no sign of that has ever been apparent to me within the creationist sites or writings. Nastiness and maliciousness yes, never niceness - it just seems to discourage it completely. There is nothing positive at all to be said about it.


The fundamentalist movement is rule by fear, Cathy. Any cursory knowledge of Ken Ham illustrates the point.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
User avatar
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin
 
Posts: 6162
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:59 pm

Re: Rabble rouser Ken Ham and his biased Facebook fans

Postby Peter Henderson » Fri May 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Ham on President Obama and Gay Marriage:


Well, President Obama certainly gave us a great example of lifting a verse from the Bible and ignoring other verses and then grossly misapplying this verse to justify his unbiblical statements on Gay Marriage!

"When we think about our faith, the thing at root that we think about is, not only Christ sacrificing himself on our behalf, but it’s also the Golden Rule, you know, treat others the way you would want to be treated." (President Obama)


I'm sure many of you have heard the news--it is all over the media--President Obama has now taken a public unbiblical stand on Gay Marriage. Yes it is unbiblical. In Matthew 19 Jesus quotes Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 as the basis for marriage stating, “And He answered and said to them, “Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning made them male and female." (Matthew 19:4). And the Wo...rd (and remember that Jesus is the WORD) in Romans 1 makes it clear that Gay Marriage is against God's instruction in regard to the meaning of marriage. President Obama will stand before the Lord one day and give an account of his leadership--but God's Word has already judged his unbiblical comments! He may say that his views have evolved (see the article), but God's Word NEVER changes and stands for eternity!

“For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.
Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.
For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.
And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful; who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.”
(Romans 1:18–32)


He's linked to here:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/20 ... t-married/
Peter Henderson
 
Posts: 4349
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:07 pm
Location: Jordanstown, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland

Re: Rabble rouser Ken Ham and his biased Facebook fans

Postby jon_12091 » Fri May 11, 2012 4:44 pm

Ken Ham wrote:And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful; who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.”
(Romans 1:18–32)

And no leading US fundamentalist have ever been guilty of any those? Just because Ken's never been caught nose down in a K' of coke or in the company of teenage rent boys doesn't mean he isn't living in a glass house! I figure he's good for pride, boasting, inventing evil things (or at least enabling the dissemination of evil things i.e. creationism), being unforgiving and unmerciful (though I suspect he thinks he's immune from sin because he's not an evilutionist).
Last edited by jon_12091 on Sat May 12, 2012 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
User avatar
jon_12091
 
Posts: 1476
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:59 pm

Re: Rabble rouser Ken Ham and his biased Facebook fans

Postby a_haworthroberts » Sat May 12, 2012 12:31 am

Ham in the UK (mostly NI) in 2012. (The URL of the page on the AiG website is ridiculously long.)



CreationFest UK
CreationFest UK in Wadebridge, Cornwall
August 5

Answers in Genesis Conference
St. John the Baptist Church in Ipswich, Suffolk
August 8

Answers in Genesis Conference
2nd Broughshane Presbyterian Church in Ballymena, Co. Antrim
August 10

Answers in Genesis Conference
Martyrs Memorial Free Presbyterian Church in Belfast, Ulster
August 11

Answers in Genesis Conference
Ballygowand Free Presbyterian Church in Ballygowan, Co.Down
August 12

Answers in Genesis Conference
Newtownbreda Baptist Church in Belfast, Co. Antrim
August 12

Answers in Genesis Conference
Whitewell Metropolitan Tabernacle in Belfast, Co. Antrim
August 13
a_haworthroberts
 
Posts: 8682
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:49 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Rabble rouser Ken Ham and his biased Facebook fans

Postby a_haworthroberts » Sat May 12, 2012 8:55 pm

Ken Ham in his blog of 12 May:
"The “Reformation” we are calling the church to is not (as some critics have been recently claiming) to get people to believe in a young earth— it’s having them accept the full reliability of the Bible. Believing in a young earth is a consequence of accepting God at His Word in Genesis".

So AiG think people (new Christians and existing Christians) should commit to a belief in the Bible being fully 'reliable'. And THEN find out all the things that it actually says (and DOESN'T say - thus it 'rejects' such things). The creationist surrenders the ability to think their own thoughts, even about topics they may not previously have considered - and always to say instead "the Bible says". "I will reject millions of years because this is not in the Bible and incompatible with it."
a_haworthroberts
 
Posts: 8682
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:49 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Rabble rouser Ken Ham and his biased Facebook fans

Postby Peter Henderson » Sun May 13, 2012 12:07 am

Well, I'm surprised at Newtownbreda Baptist Ashley.

I've a couple of brothers who go there and my wife's an ex member.

Must mention it.

No doubt their new pastor (who I've also met) is resposible for this. Wonder if anyone will object ?

Probebly not.
Peter Henderson
 
Posts: 4349
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:07 pm
Location: Jordanstown, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland

Re: Rabble rouser Ken Ham and his biased Facebook fans

Postby Peter Henderson » Sun May 13, 2012 12:12 am

P.S. Martyrs memorial is Paisley's old church before he retired.
Peter Henderson
 
Posts: 4349
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:07 pm
Location: Jordanstown, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland

Re: Rabble rouser Ken Ham and his biased Facebook fans

Postby Roger Stanyard » Sun May 13, 2012 4:32 pm

jon_12091 wrote:
Ken Ham wrote:And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful; who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.”
(Romans 1:18–32)


Ken Scam is just a snake oil salesman trying to use fear to enhance his ministry. Unfortunately his religious scam is so transparent he's risible. He's forgotten the ninth commandment.

A self appointed, untrained and unqualified priest.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
User avatar
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin
 
Posts: 6162
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:59 pm

Re: Rabble rouser Ken Ham and his biased Facebook fans

Postby Peter Henderson » Sun May 13, 2012 10:00 pm

Roger Stanyard wrote:
jon_12091 wrote:
Ken Ham wrote:And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful; who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.”
(Romans 1:18–32)


Ken Scam is just a snake oil salesman trying to use fear to enhance his ministry. Unfortunately his religious scam is so transparent he's risible. He's forgotten the ninth commandment.

A self appointed, untrained and unqualified priest.


Sadly Roger there are a lot of Christians who just can't see through it and why the whole thing is hogwash.
Peter Henderson
 
Posts: 4349
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:07 pm
Location: Jordanstown, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland

Re: Rabble rouser Ken Ham and his biased Facebook fans

Postby Michael » Mon May 14, 2012 6:23 am

Peter Henderson wrote:[quote="Roger Stanyard Ken Scam is just a snake oil salesman trying to use fear to enhance his ministry. Unfortunately his religious scam is so transparent he's risible. He's forgotten the ninth commandment.

A self appointed, untrained and unqualified priest.


Sadly Roger there are a lot of Christians who just can't see through it and why the whole thing is hogwash.[/quote]

Many Christians want to believe that the Bible is totally true and Ham helps them to do that, though they miss the point of what the Bible is for -and when it was written
Michael
 
Posts: 2786
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Lancaster

Re: Rabble rouser Ken Ham and his biased Facebook fans

Postby Dagsannr » Mon May 14, 2012 9:15 am

Michael,
You should invite him to speak at your church, followed by a full Q&A session afterwards.
Although it might not make him think that there are scientifically literate christians out there, but if you record the whole thing and post it on the interwebs, then it'll show him up for the chump that he is.
I'd pay good money to watch him torn up over this by other christians.
There are 2 types of people in the world:

Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
User avatar
Dagsannr
 
Posts: 830
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:57 pm
Location: Carlisle

Re: Rabble rouser Ken Ham and his biased Facebook fans

Postby cathy » Mon May 14, 2012 11:23 am

Many Christians want to believe that the Bible is totally true and Ham helps them to do that, though they miss the point of what the Bible is for -and when it was written
So totally true means literal fact? If you listen to Ken and every other creationist that would seem to be the case.

Doesn't that mean the parables and psalms have to be either literal fact or false? There really has to be a literal, Valley of Shadow of Death and a prodigal son or they are lies and meaningless? True in the sense of writing about something and literal historical fact are slightly different things even if both are true.

Anyway why does Ken Ham and co get to decide this stuff and not someone competent? Or at least honest.

I'd pay good money to watch him torn up over this by other christians.
Me too. It was great when Andy Mac and sobbing Sylv were taken apart by a bishop on Nicky Campbells big question. He was the one accusing them of intellectual child abuse not the atheists!! It happens far too rarely. I think very few christians really understand how toxic an issue it is or how big it is getting. Nor do enough understand that it is not opinion but a rare case where one side is totally in the right and the other totally in the wrong, hence no compromise is possible nor desirable.
cathy
 
Posts: 3665
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:51 pm
Location: Redditch

Re: Rabble rouser Ken Ham and his biased Facebook fans

Postby Peter Henderson » Mon May 14, 2012 1:11 pm

So totally true means literal fact? If you listen to Ken and every other creationist that would seem to be the case.


I think very few christians really understand how toxic an issue it is or how big it is getting. Nor do enough understand that it is not opinion but a rare case where one side is totally in the right and the other totally in the wrong, hence no compromise is possible nor desirable


Indeed Cathy, you are quite correct in that respect.

There are many people who believe this rubbish and who are really decent people Cathy. Honestly, some of my wider family circle are into it and I couldn't accuse them of doing anything to their children, or any other abusive behaviour.

The problem is that Ken Ham sounds so persuasive to the uneducated (or those who are educated but haven't a clue about biology or geology) it's very difficult to counteract. They don't even understand the arguments. All they see is Mt. St. Helens, rapid canyon formation, and serious flaws in radiometric dating.

Unfortunately, this is what you're up against.

Michael is quite right.

I may try and get to the talk at the Metropolitan Tabernacle as it's a Friday night and there may be an oppurtunity to ask questions afterwards.
Peter Henderson
 
Posts: 4349
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:07 pm
Location: Jordanstown, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland

Re: Rabble rouser Ken Ham and his biased Facebook fans

Postby Roger Stanyard » Mon May 14, 2012 2:01 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:
I may try and get to the talk at the Metropolitan Tabernacle as it's a Friday night and there may be an oppurtunity to ask questions afterwards.


Whatever you do, don't take your wallet along, Peter. Big Ken's short of dosh for his Ark Encounter crapola and, not doubt, he will be attempting to relieve you (and others) of the considerable burden of money.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
User avatar
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin
 
Posts: 6162
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:59 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Conversations with Creationists

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron