National Curriculum

This forum is for the discussion of the evidence for evolution. Anyone is welcome to post, however, scripture is not allowed. As the title says, Science Only please!

Moderator: Moderators

National Curriculum

Postby Trixie » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:49 pm

Given that the National Curriculum covers England and Wales, but notScotland and Ireland, I worry that TiS will continue to target schools in these areas.

As far as I can see, the debate on ID in science classes isn't getting much publicity in Scotland. Dos anyone know of any bodies which deal specifically with this issue in Scotland?
Trixie

Re: National Curriculum

Postby Roger Stanyard » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:49 am

Trixie wrote:Given that the National Curriculum covers England and Wales, but notScotland and Ireland, I worry that TiS will continue to target schools in these areas.

As far as I can see, the debate on ID in science classes isn't getting much publicity in Scotland. Dos anyone know of any bodies which deal specifically with this issue in Scotland?

Hi Trixie,

As far as I am aware, there is no specific organisation in Scotland dealing with the issue. Ian Lowe of the Scottish Atheist's Council is undoubtedly keeping an eye on the matter though.

Scotland looks to be suffering from the plague of creationism as elsewhere. The "group" that seems to lead it is the Edinburgh Creationist Group. There are aslo various denominations that are up to their nkeck in it as well. As far as I can remember these include the Free Church of Scotland (Continuing), the Wee Frees and the Wee Wee Frees. The Free Church of Scotland (Continuing) is involved in Truth in Science.

None of them seem to bother much about the difference between ID and creationism.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Trixie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:56 pm

Thanks for the response. I'm keen to get this whole thing out in the open in Scotland for a number of reasons.

Firstly, I'm a mother of a Primary school kid who will eventually hit secondary school - I don't want him being taught religion in science class.

Secondly, I'm a molecular biologist and bacteriologist and I know science when I see it - I also know religion disguised as science when I see it.

Thirdly, I've been involved in debate on the issue since before the Kitzmiller - Dover case and I devoured those transcripts and judgement. Some of the information which came out in that case, while incredibly funny, also sends chills down the spine.

Finally, I believe that sitting back waiting for the "attack" to come puts science on the defensive as it did in Dover, Penn. To get ID ruled as religious in motivation, the education of the population there took place in court and it's shocking it got that far. I honestly believe that, if people are aware if the underlying principles involved in ID and the complete lack of scientific evidence for ID, they will conclude that ID has no place in the science class and the "cdesign proponentsists" will be stopped in their tracks. The education of children is too precious to spend years fighting over it, the problem needs nipped in the bud.

I'll contact Ian Lowe to see if I can assist in any way. I'll also hunt out some info on the Edinburgh Creationist Group.
Trixie

Postby Peter Henderson » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:32 pm

Given that the National Curriculum covers England and Wales, but notScotland and Ireland, I worry that TiS will continue to target schools in these areas.

Hi Trixie. Welcome to the forum. Just a couple of points about your post.

The national ciurriculum wouldn't cover the Republic of Ireland since it's not part of the UK. I presume when you say "Ireland" you are referring to Northern Ireland.

Northern Ireland is different to the rest of the UK in that there are a large number of religous schools here. These are not fundamentalist Protestent schools (as you might imagine) but are in fact Roman Catholic. The state schools here are open to adherents of all religions (or none) and a number of Roman Catholics do in fact attend these schools. However, the Catholic church here has opted out of the state sector and have their own education system, the Catholic maintained sector. There are a number of religiously integrated schools and these are growing in number. There is also academic selection at 11 still in this part of the UK although this is due to go soon. What will replace it is a matter of very heated debate and is mere speculation at the moment.

Northern Ireland is also a hotbed of Young Earth Creationism. It's widely preached in all evangelical denominations here, even in the mainstream Presbyterian Church in Ireland (similar to the Church of Scotland ?). Given NI's closeness to Scotland both geographically (I can see Scotland on a clear day) and culturally (many people here have Scottish roots/family ties), there's bound to be an influence. I linked to the Edinburgh Creation Group's website a couple of threads ago Trixie. Roger has also written a number of articles on the situation here (NI).

It might also be worthwhile having a look at both Answers in Genesis' and CMI's websites as these organisations are highly active in the UK. Both have events calendars so you should be able to see if there's any activity near you. If nothing else it will show what you are up against. It's very foolish to underestimate these people, believe me :

http://www.answersingenesis.org/

http://www.creationontheweb.com/

It 's also worth having a look at both Revelataion TV and Genesis TV, Sky digital Channels 765 and 772 respectivly, where Howard Conder is putting out several hours of Young Earth Creation material daily. He also has "live" guests on in the evening on his flagship porogramme "World in focus". Often this will include YEC's.

Don't despair though. If you haven't looked at it before, a good database with a host of information refuting YEC claims is the Talkorigins website:

http://www.talkorigins.org/

John Stear's site, "No answers in Genesis" is also very good:

http://www.noanswersingenesis.org.au/
Peter Henderson

National Curriculum

Postby Anonymous » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:43 pm

Roger Stanyard wrote:

As far as I am aware, there is no specific organisation in Scotland dealing with the issue. Ian Lowe of the Scottish Atheist's Council

Ian will shortly no longer be residing in Scotland; however, I am sure
the Council will continue to exist.
Anonymous

Return to Science Only