"Evolution" of minerals in the earth's crust

This forum is for the discussion of the evidence for evolution. Anyone is welcome to post, however, scripture is not allowed. As the title says, Science Only please!

Moderator: Moderators

"Evolution" of minerals in the earth's crust

Postby tubataxidriver » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:16 pm

A recent groundbreaking study has shown that 2/3 of the minerals found in the earth's crust would not be there but for the presence of life, mainly from the oxygen-rich atmosphere. In the early earth there were few types of mineral, but as life has emerged and evolved, the atmosphere became oxygen-rich, the fundamental chemistry changed and various new forms of mineral have emerged. These findings provide a new perspective on the interaction between evolution and geology. I wonder how the creationists will try to post-rationalise this one.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/11/081113181035.htm
tubataxidriver

Postby Brian Jordan » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:57 pm

The major effect of life on geology was shown vividly in UKTV History's excellent "Earth Story" series. I'd recommend anyone who hasn't seen it to watch the repeat run starting midnight Dec 15th. Or there's a 2 DVD set for £14 from the Beeb or £15 from Amazon.
It's several years since it was first broadcast but I don't recall the creationists reacting to it. Perhaps they should be prompted to watch it too.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Return to Science Only