Weary of woo

This forum is for the discussion of the evidence for evolution. Anyone is welcome to post, however, scripture is not allowed. As the title says, Science Only please!

Moderator: Moderators

Weary of woo

Postby Brian Jordan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:26 pm

Oh dear, I've been distracted recently through being drawn, unwittingly, into the World Of Woo. That is, "Alternative" medicine. Not always the practitioners (a friend has a charming wife who is a homeopath who I don't think for a moment would deceive people - apart from herself of course.) but the people who deliberately promulgate antiscientific drivel. I make the point simply to put anti-scientific people's pleading religion into perspective. They seem to be just a sub-set of people who will deny the simplest science because it upsets what snake-oil salesmen have convinced them of. It does however, such people notwithstanding, still move.
http://www.energiseforlife.com/alkaline ... php?p=1748
(Oh, btw, this subject was my work and believe me they are so wrong that the stupid, it burns.)
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby macthornberg » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:56 am

You have my condolences, but the tone of your post suggests a recovery is well in progress. As a practicing psychotherapist I am occasionally appalled by the use of pseudo-scientific terms such as "DNA theta" healing. I read what it is supposed to mean, but it means whatever you want it to mean. I hate "woo". I really hope no one can screw (am I allowed to say that) with my DNA. Is that the implication by use of the term DNA? http://www.pamsegal.com/12.html will show you what I mean. It all seems deliberately obscure and mystical. Argggh.

I have a confused understanding of the quantum world - it evades conceptualisation and doesn't intuitively hang together. It really irritates me though when these terms are filched in order to add scientific credibility to some process/product/therapy.
macthornberg

Return to Science Only