Creationist abuse of cuttlefish chitin

This forum is for the discussion of the evidence for evolution. Anyone is welcome to post, however, scripture is not allowed. As the title says, Science Only please!

Moderator: Moderators

Creationist abuse of cuttlefish chitin

Postby Dagsannr » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:07 pm

The original science:
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi ... ne.0028195

The nonsense that ICR makes of it:
http://www.icr.org/article/6509/

The utter shredding their nonsense gets:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... sh-chitin/

Yes, PZ is an evil new atheist, but he's also a first class biologist and very adept at tearing apart creationist nonsense.

Another classic example of how creationists twist science to make it fit their own ideological needs.
There are 2 types of people in the world:

Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Dagsannr

Re: Creationist abuse of cuttlefish chitin

Postby Michael » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:29 pm

Creationist have always done this. My fiorst rule of dealing with creationists which I devised in 1971 is that Creationist always get it wrong and twist ethe evidence - if they dont exactly lie (but some do lie).

I have never been proved wrong and perhaps Luke can say what his dad thinks of my empirically based view
Michael

Postby cathy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:18 pm

My fiorst rule of dealing with creationists which I devised in 1971 is that Creationist always get it wrong and twist ethe evidence - if they dont exactly lie (but some do lie).

I have never been proved wrong and perhaps Luke can say what his dad thinks of my empirically based view
A rule that has survived the test of time, tho has been modified to they do exactly lie, but so creatively and with panache. Never met an honest creationist.
cathy

Postby Michael » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:22 pm

cathy wrote:
My fiorst rule of dealing with creationists which I devised in 1971 is that Creationist always get it wrong and twist ethe evidence - if they dont exactly lie (but some do lie).

A rule that has survived the test of time, tho has been modified to they do exactly lie, but so creatively and with panache. Never met an honest creationist.

Since 1971 I have been trying to find an explanation of creationist behaviour which does not explicitly say they are lying. So far I have been unsuccessful. It's harder than trying to explain the Cambrian Explosion
Michael

Postby Luke Tyler » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:57 pm

Michael wrote:Creationist have always done this. My fiorst rule of dealing with creationists which I devised in 1971 is that Creationist always get it wrong and twist ethe evidence - if they dont exactly lie (but some do lie).

Dad's currently performing live with Eric Clapton at the Dominion, but I think Natman has guided me towards something useful here:

http://xkcd.com/882/
Luke Tyler

Postby cathy » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:24 am

Dad's currently performing live with Eric Clapton at the Dominion
Wow really?
cathy

Postby Luke Tyler » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:39 pm

Been with him since "Derek and the Dominoes" :D
Luke Tyler

Postby cathy » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:45 pm

My middle name is gullible (well actually its Mary-how Irish can you get yuk). So will believe anything said to me. Which just shows how poor creationist arguments are-even I'm not fooled. So your dad doesn't moonlight as a roadie, support act, guitar teacher for Eric Clapton?
cathy

Postby Luke Tyler » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:34 am

cathy wrote:My middle name is gullible (well actually its Mary-how Irish can you get yuk). So will believe anything said to me. Which just shows how poor creationist arguments are-even I'm not fooled. So your dad doesn't moonlight as a roadie, support act, guitar teacher for Eric Clapton?

Haha... Sadly no :(

The reason I said that was because I couldn't think of anything else he might be up to, and Eric Clapton and Duane Allman are two of my heroes, so...

Although dad's not even remotely as interested as me, sensing my interest he taught me how to play "Tears in Heaven" and "Layla", which to this day remain among my favourite songs. "Layla" is not as hard as it sounds, apart from the solo, which bends my mind.

For a bit of a mental break, feel free to watch my favourite version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikKDga2Xzmc (We weren't at that "Unplugged" performance, sadly!)

Anyway, apologies for getting wildly off topic, but I found the cartoon from Natman so relevant to this topic (this one: http://xkcd.com/882/).

It shows perfectly how the evidence is not so much ignored as "twisted" or "misinterpreted".
Luke Tyler

Postby Michael » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:34 am

Luke Tyler wrote:
cathy wrote:My middle name is gullible (well actually its Mary-how Irish can you get yuk). So will believe anything said to me. Which just shows how poor creationist arguments are-even I'm not fooled. So your dad doesn't moonlight as a roadie, support act, guitar teacher for Eric Clapton?

Haha... Sadly no :(

The reason I said that was because I couldn't think of anything else he might be up to, and Eric Clapton and Duane Allman are two of my heroes, so...

Although dad's not even remotely as interested as me, sensing my interest he taught me how to play "Tears in Heaven" and "Layla", which to this day remain among my favourite songs. "Layla" is not as hard as it sounds, apart from the solo, which bends my mind.

For a bit of a mental break, feel free to watch my favourite version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikKDga2Xzmc (We weren't at that "Unplugged" performance, sadly!)

Anyway, apologies for getting wildly off topic, but I found the cartoon from Natman so relevant to this topic (this one: http://xkcd.com/882/).

It shows perfectly how the evidence is not so much ignored as "twisted" or "misinterpreted".

Luke

Why do some see the fourth commandment as more important than the ninth?
Michael

Postby Luke Tyler » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:42 pm

Michael wrote:Luke

That would be because I am an evil and twisted little child who loves blues music so much he's prepared to make jokes about it!

I'd forgotten "Poe's Law" for a moment there!
Luke Tyler

Postby Dr_GS_Hurd » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:03 pm

Luke Tyler wrote:
Michael wrote:Luke

That would be because I am an evil and twisted little child who loves blues music so much he's prepared to make jokes about it!

I'd forgotten "Poe's Law" for a moment there!

Got use Poe's Law, and smilies. Lots of smilies.

While I am not a huge fan of PZ's brand of atheism, I thought his take-down of the ICR was very well done.
Dr_GS_Hurd

Return to Science Only