We are back on Mars

This forum is for the discussion of the evidence for evolution. Anyone is welcome to post, however, scripture is not allowed. As the title says, Science Only please!

Moderator: Moderators

We are back on Mars

Postby Dr_GS_Hurd » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:19 am

Now... What if we discover extraterrestrial life?
Dr_GS_Hurd

Re: We are back on Mars

Postby Michael » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:16 am

Dr_GS_Hurd wrote:Now... What if we discover extraterrestrial life?

Ken Ham will lead a mission eother to save it or to prove it is not living like plants
Michael

Postby marcsurtees » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:40 am

From what I have read it seems that the mission is only equiped to find organic molecules, which is somewhat less exciting.
So unless life stands up and waves for the cameras we will still be left wondering.
Marc

Postby Moon Fire » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:22 am

marcsurtees wrote:

From what I have read it seems that the mission is only equiped to find organic molecules, which is somewhat less exciting.
So unless life stands up and waves for the cameras we will still be left wondering.

It's actually going there to find the fingerprint of life that might have previously existed on Mars, its going to be doing geochemical experiments.
Moon Fire

Postby cathy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:59 pm

As someone with science qualifications Marc, don't you ever feel sad that you can't get excited by any of it? All the real exciting stuff is forbidden to you and you are left with the inane ramblings of sobbing Sylv, Garner and their other pals. Doesn't that ever make you a bit sad? It would me.
cathy

Postby Dr_GS_Hurd » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:13 pm

What I was wondering about was how will creationists fool themselves again. I suppose Surtees has just shown us- they will simply deny the discovery.

Personally, I want to see some complex molecules that use amino acids not commonly used on Earth. What they also need to look for are some graphite grains with enriched uranium. That would indicate an oxygen stratified ocean which is a strong indicator of photosynthesis. That and C13 depletion would convince me.
Dr_GS_Hurd

Postby cathy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:20 pm

What I was wondering about was how will creationists fool themselves again. I suppose Surtees has just shown us- they will simply deny the discovery.

If they found a dvd showing the whole thing from big bang thru to evolution via abiogenesis (poss with God narrating for extra ooomph) Marc would still stick with the creationist sobbing sylv version.

Factphobics! Can't help themselves I'm afraid. I've an irrational fear of snakes they've an irrational fear of reality.

Did the murchison meteorite contain amino acids not used on Earth
cathy

Postby Moon Fire » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:24 am

cathy wrote:

If they found a dvd showing the whole thing from big bang thru to evolution via abiogenesis (poss with God narrating for extra ooomph) Marc would still stick with the creationist sobbing sylv version.

Factphobics! Can't help themselves I'm afraid. I've an irrational fear of snakes they've an irrational fear of reality.

There was a meteorite found that had a mineral older than our solar system in it.
Moon Fire

Postby Dr_GS_Hurd » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:51 pm

cathy wrote:

Yes. Here are some good articles;

Engel, M. H., S. A. Macko
1997 "Isotopic evidence for extraterrestrial non- racemic amino acids in the Murchison meteorite." Nature 389, 265 - 268 (18 Sep) Letters to Nature

Deamer, D. W.
1985. Boundary structures are formed by organic components of the Murchison carbonaceous chondrite. Nature 317:792-794.

Michael H. Engel and Bartholomew Nagy,
1982 "Distribution and Enantiomeric Composition of Amino Acids in the Murchison Meteorite", Nature , 296, April 29, p. 838

Zita Martins, Oliver Botta, Marilyn L. Fogel, Mark A. Sephton, Daniel P. Glavin, Jonathan S. Watson, Jason P. Dworkin, Alan W. Schwartz and Pascale Ehrenfreund “Extraterrestrial nucleobases in the Murchison meteorite” Earth and Planetary Science Letters, Volume 270, Issues 1-2, 15 June 2008, Pages 130-136

Deamer 1985, and Martins et al 2008 are about other organics, lipids and nucleobases respectivly.
Dr_GS_Hurd

Postby a_haworthroberts » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:08 pm

A very interesting programme tonight: http://uktv.co.uk/yesterday/item/aid/653192
a_haworthroberts

Return to Science Only