Ham out-Usshers Ussher.

Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

Ham out-Usshers Ussher.

Postby Brian Jordan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:43 pm

Or was I jumping to conclusions? An article on Ham's propagandising home-schoolers contains this gem:
Today, Ham will speak about the human races and how each race was created at 1:45 p.m.
However, it goes on to add
and he will explain dinosaurs to kids and adults at 4:15 p.m.
Ah well, he's probably just keeping them guessing about the actual time. But what was he telling them about races?
http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/courier/news/scfc-conference-kicks-off/article_213fa3e7-32f2-5d69-893d-79429dda1092.html
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Re: Ham out-Usshers Ussher.

Postby Brian Jordan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:16 pm

Posted in Free for All by mistake. Moving it to News and Links.
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Michael » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:52 am

Please do not liken Ham to Ussher. Ussher was a fine and wise scholar of his day. He had a good historical sense and he looked at all AVAILABLE documents critically. The trouble was that he was writing in the 1650s.

I have forgotten what I was going to say about Ham
Michael

Postby Brian Jordan » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:43 am

Sorry Michael, I just couldn't resist a News Quiz moment! Is it correct, though, that Ussher calculated the time of day of the creation? If so, how on earth did he justify such precision?
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Re:

Postby a_haworthroberts » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:25 pm

Michael wrote:Please do not liken Ham to Ussher. Ussher was a fine and wise scholar of his day. He had a good historical sense and he looked at all AVAILABLE documents critically. The trouble was that he was writing in the 1650s.

I have forgotten what I was going to say about Ham

In similar vein, CMI and their supporters are making rather ludicrous claims about long-dead scientists again on the CMI Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/creationministries

CMI: "Modern chemistry owes enormous gratitude to the work and writings of Robert Boyle—a creation scientist whose love of God’s truth led him to overcome the chief errors of alchemical theory which were hindering the development of truly scientific chemistry." (They then link to an almost 25 year old article.)
DA: "Sir Isaac Newton was also a strong Christian Creation Scientist".
The clear implication of such comments is that if they were living today Newton and Boyle would 'card-carrying' young Earth or biblical creationists.

A creation scientist today is NOT the same thing as when these people lived. A scientist does not merely wave away evidence they don't like - as modern creation 'scientists' are forced to do.

Though Sir Isaac WAS a bit of a rum character.

And in response to the equally ludicrous DH who has written: "This is also a good rebuttal to those atheists who falsely claim that allowing schools to teach creationism would "put science back to the dark ages"". Teaching today's creationism involves undermining established scientific knowledge that post-dates the likes of Boyle and Newton. Whereas teaching the discoveries of those scientists does NO such thing. Even if teaching creationism would not suddenly destroy our technology, it DOES seek to destroy what scientists have gradually discovered about our real origins. YEC-ism in particular is corrosive for science.

But what CMI are about is not science, rather apologetics and evangelism. They seek to put science 'in its place'. Subservient to the Bible taken as literal and infallible truth in every single detail.
a_haworthroberts

Postby Brian Jordan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:12 am

I think that the difference between Newton, Boyle etc. and "creation scientists" is that the former were scientists who didn't challenge a literal 6-day creation while the latter base their entire philosophy on biblical literalism.
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Return to News and Links