The incredible burning professor

Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

The incredible burning professor

Postby Brian Jordan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:49 pm

With rubbish like this, no wonder the creationists have an easy ride. A lunatic ITV programme about "mysteries", seemingly an offshoot of Countryfile to keep them in work after the harvest, has "investigated" "spontaneous human combustion". They dragged out a publicity-seeking professor who seems to think that becoming ketotic as with a person in hyperglycaemic diabetic coma is somehow equivalent to soaking a dummy in acetone. Which latter burst into flame, which former would result in extra fire extinguishers being issued to every hospital diabetic ward in the land if it ever happened!
I think the man popped up his head regarding the allegedly spontaneous child burning in a part of India where setting fires was a popular means of protest. I'm feeling too cross to look it up. I remember, though, spending some time looking up the possible ketone concentrations. Oddly, the good professor laughed at the Zola-esque idea the ethanol could be the cause but persisted in his absurd hypothesis.
Maybe Cathy should suggest to the ASE that they have a session next year on debunking popular anti-scientific myths. Zap one and you're on the way to zapping them all. I'm sure professor of combustion Andy McIntosh would be happy to debunk this nonsense for them.

PS: ask the right question and you get 71,000 links from Google. Aaaaagh! :cry:
Edit: "Mystery Map" ITV 8pm-9pm today.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Re: The incredible burning professor

Postby a_haworthroberts » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:53 pm

I'm about to watch this on ITV+1...
a_haworthroberts

Return to News and Links