Islamic take-over of schools plot?

Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

Islamic take-over of schools plot?

Postby a_haworthroberts » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:28 pm

I caught some of this on the BBC TV six o'clock news.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bi ... m-26482599
a_haworthroberts

Re: Islamic take-over of schools plot?

Postby Brian Jordan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:14 pm

Not our province per se, Ashley, but of course there's the possibility that if they succeed they might start teaching creationism. If a Jewish school (and what others?) is allowed to expunge evolution no doubt Muslim ones will be allowed to do the same, if nothing is done about the practice. Enforcing the new National Curriculum would be of no help if the schools become "academies" or "free schools" and fudging the exams continues to be permitted. They might even team up with Sylvia Baker and her Bridge School Inspectorate to keep OFSTED at arms length, too.
But until and unless it happens, not our province.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:39 am

I think it is frightening, totally frightening. Not just for education but for wider society. It is an issue that needs an organisation like bcse to get involved even tho it isn't in it's remit. But the types of people here are rational and don't harbour any sorts of hatred for any level of moderation. That is what makes this place so special and so good at what it does.

This is probably the only type of set up that can work. BHA and the Dawkins lot have to great an anti religion and anti faith schools per se to allow them to stand back and take any sort of rational stance. But this sort of thing needs to be stopped. It is similar to what the discovery institute et al were proposing a few years ago.
cathy

Postby Brian Jordan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:43 pm

A bit more in the Sunday Times. They claim that a head was driven out after refusing to scrap sex education and allow only halal food. It doesn't seem impossible that such zealots would try to oust the teaching of evolution, even if it is a state "science college".
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/National/article1384996.ece (Paywall but you can read the above bit.)
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Re:

Postby a_haworthroberts » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:29 pm

Although nobody that I know of who posts on here is against moderate Christianity or moderate forms of other faiths, some Christian extremists continue to smear the BCSE as being atheistic or full of hate and bigotry. Rather than actually refute anything posted on this community forum:
http://www.piltdownsuperman.com/2014/03 ... se-uk.html
I have come to the broad conclusion that most YECs were dishonest people before they became Christians, rather than an extreme form of Christianity forced them to become dishonest people.
Re that CMI propaganda piece, which I flagged last night, someone has posted this on the CMI Facebook page:
"Atheists and evolutionists which are most of the time the same, actually loath and hate Creation!!! Why? Because satan has a grip on them!!!"
You cannot argue with such statements...

Still, Bob must like me publicising his intolerant rants here since he keeps mentioning me by name (though he will never ever speak directly to me, even when I address him directly, as it's apparently beneath him).

Plenty of mud-slinging and hatred for critics in this piece.

Young Earth creationism - institutional lying.

If they taught creationism (their version) in schools, would they encourage 'critical thinking' and include 'the other side of the evidence for creation'? Or would they try to behave like Ken Ham does with an audience of impressionable young kids?

I wonder what kids would make of Cowboy Bob. He's a bit scary - and that's only over the internet.

EDIT: the Cowboy is accusing me in his blog post for 9 March of 'misrepresentation'. I have emailed him and some fellow YECs (only) requesting that he SUBSTANTIATE this allegation.
a_haworthroberts

A Bridge too far?

Postby Brian Jordan » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:13 am

In an article detailing its own investigations into the "Trojan Horse" matter, the Telegraph concerns itself with one of the Muslim activists,
The chairman of governors at Park View, Tahir Alam, is a senior activist in the Muslim Council of Britain and vice-chair of the Association of Muslim Schools (AMS). His views, like the MCB’s, are hardline. In evidence for the MCB to the UN’s high commissioner for human rights in 2008, he said he would “caution against advocating that desegregation [in schools] should be actively pursued” and stressed the “obligatory nature” of the hijab for Muslim women and girls.

Mr Alam is also a senior official of another organisation, the al-Hijrah Trust, which runs another successful state school in the city and trains teachers, many of whom have gone on to head other state schools in Birmingham.

Mr Alam is closely involved with national organisations for Muslim school governors and parents. On Saturday night he denied any involvement in the alleged “Trojan Horse” plot, saying the leaked letter was a “malicious fabrication and completely untrue”.
OK, so what? Well, it goes on to say,
Mr Alam and the AMS say that Islamic extremism is not a problem in British schools. However, the AMS co-controls the controversial Bridge Schools Inspectorate, which has taken over responsibility from Ofsted for inspecting many private Muslim schools and has been accused of whitewashing extremist schools. The centre-right think tank, Policy Exchange, has called on the Government to abolish the Bridge Schools Inspectorate. [my emphasis]
Oh, Sylvia, what have you spawned?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/10685418/Extremists-and-the-Trojan-Horse-approach-in-state-schools.html
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:11 pm

Park View have several responses to the media on their website
www.parkview.bham.sch.uk

Denying it all. They also seem to have had a recent Ofsted visit which it would be worth reading. Real ofsted not sobbing Sylvs version.

Brian Sylv has spawned a monster as all creationists do. She, however, should never have been allowed to do so.
cathy

Postby Brian Jordan » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:17 pm

What has Sylvia spawned? Andrew Gilligan in the Torygraph links the Association of Muslim Schools to the current goings on in Birmingham, mentions the fact that they co-control their own inspectorate but suggests that Ofsted is little better than the un-named Bridge Schools Inspectorate. Sylvia's half of the unholy alliance is not mentioned.
Of these, the worst are in the private sector – such as the schools where children study anti-Semitic textbooks, or the Madani Girls’ School in Tower Hamlets, which forces all pupils to wear the full-face veil and has explicitly stated on its website that “we as Muslims oppose the lifestyle of the West”. The Association of Muslim Schools, the private schools’ trade organisation, has hosted extremist speakers at its annual conference.
<snip>
Messages leaked to me revealed the existence of a group called Educational Activists, including many teachers and school governors, which pursues what its leader calls an “Islamising agenda” in Birmingham schools. At each of the schools concerned, links can be traced to the same small group of activists, and to the Association of Muslim Schools. The local council says it has received “hundreds” of complaints from teachers, governors and parents.
<snip>
Many private Muslim schools have been allowed effectively to inspect themselves – using a private inspectorate co-controlled by the Association of Muslim Schools. In others, Ofsted seemed prepared to overlook bigotry, so long as the bigots were Muslim. At Madani, which openly expressed its hostility to the West, the Ofsted report claimed the school left its pupils “well-prepared for life in a multicultural society”.
What hope, then, of a real crackdown on creationism if it takes the Birmingham claims to wake up the DfE?
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/andrewgilligan/100267469/gove-is-right-to-fail-schools-for-religious-bias/
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:38 pm

On the local news right now. Council taking it seriously. 200 separate schools being looked at. Not quite the Trojan Horse thing BUT the behaviour of some governors AND some teachers being seriously looked at. Lukewarm waffle from manager of Central mosque.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bi ... m-27020970

Note the woman part way into report saying things that have been taught and NOT been taught.

For all local stories
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/search/?q=Trojan+Horse

Local paper recently had a local Muslim guy saying he'd been complaining about some worrying increases in harder line Islamic ideas in his daughters school for some time now. Said if he'd wanted that he'd have sent her to Islamic school.

Worrying but at least it's hitting headlines early on.

Good old sylv. Sure she hadn't' a clue that when she opened the bsi can of worms it'd be the Islamic rather than Christian fundies that would end up being more successful.
cathy

Postby cathy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:24 am

It would appear after a period of seeing it as a hoax Birmingham city council are taking it seriously
www.birminghampost.co.uk/news/regional- ... an-6988441

Sir Albert Bore taught my friend physics at uni before becoming leader of Birmingham City Council. So not a creationist.

Note the snidey dig at the difficulties of getting Ofsted in to academies. Not true by the way.
cathy

Postby Brian Jordan » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:05 am

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's a fake (not a hoax though) intended to wake up the authorities. A shot on the BBC yesterday showed the word 'jihad' in quote marks like that. If that was a shot of the actual letter, it seems unlikely that the quote marks would have been used in a genuine article.
If the Association of Muslim schools turns out to be incriminated, surely Sylv will have to break off from them.
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:59 am

I initially thought it was a fake. Specially given the anonymity. Some kind of wind up given the large Muslim population in some schools. Still think it's been blown out of proportion but the number of complaints is high enough for them to try and get ofsted in and for the council to react. Probably just to reassure.

Sobbing Sylv needs ams to keep bsi credibility. Probably more than they need her. They, after all, DO seem to have converted some schools into free ones. Unlike her. Be interesting to see if cst do distance themselves. Any press releases there?

Even if it is a fake highlighting that travesty of self inspection will be worth it. She's been very quiet of late. What's going on with the old creationists. Don't trust them when they're quiet.
cathy

Postby cathy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:33 pm

Latest Spring newletter from Park View the first school to be named gives some idea of the response.
pen Letter from David Hughes Park View School Governor As a Park View Trustee and Governor at Park View School for over 15 years who is a white, practising Anglican Christian, I am writing this open letter to all those people who appear to have joined in the witch hunt against the most successful school of its characteristics in Birmingham (72% of our pupils are eligible for Free School Meals) under the pretext of concerns about extremism and threats to the education of pupils. Contrary to what Khalid Mahmood MP would have people believe we governors are not Salifists or Wahabis, not even Muslim in my case. But really, how could we expect Mr Mahmood to have an accurate picture of what happens in governors’ meetings? He’s never attended one, nor ever even visited the school as far as I can recall. In all my time as a Governor we have not received a single complaint about ‘extremism’ or ‘radicalism’. If we had we would have investigated it openly and thoroughly.
Up until this point the attention and support we have appreciated from Ofsted, the Department for Education and numerous well-respected school improvement partners such as Teach First and Future Leaders has focused on how we are making a difference to our students when they come from such disadvantaged areas. Seventy two per cent (72%) of our pupils are eligible for Free School Meals. In 2013 75% of pupils gained 5 A*-C grades at GCSE including English and Maths. Eighty one per cent (81%) of pupils attained a grade C or above in English and 83% attained a grade C or above in Maths.
So how have we done this? That’s simple, through plenty of hard work and dedication; through a relentless focus on driving up standards of teaching and ensuring that everyone who works with us and for us has the same high expectations of our pupils that we have.
Fifteen years ago when I first became a Governor the school was a much different place. Less than 20 per cent of pupils were gaining 5A*-Cs and in one year just one out of 90 pupils gained a grade C or above in Maths. Just one! A lot of us found that completely unacceptable and made it our business to make a concerted, sustainable change.
Unfortunately some of those former staff members who are now sharing fictitious accounts with the media are the very same staff whose performance and expectations of pupils proved that they weren’t along for the journey. If they had shown the same enthusiasm for making sure their pupils got a good education
as they have for smearing the school in the media, Park View would have been a much different place. They’re trading on their supposed ‘insider’ status and hoping that no-one can remember that far back to actually challenge their accounts.
Well, I chaired the Disciplinary Panel that recommended the dismissal of Michael White for his unprofessional behaviour as a senior teacher. At no time either during that panel, or subsequently, has he made allegations of a ‘Muslim plot’, until now.
Equally Mr Sloan, who claimed in a Sunday newspaper this weekend that he saw ‘anti- American assemblies’ in the late 1990s that were ‘mind-blowing’, made no complaints at the time and has not done so since, until now.
Mr Sloan was suspended from Park View while complaints from parents that he had referred to their children during lessons in the most derogatory terms could be investigated, not simply because (as he alleges) he made a comment about the wearing of a headscarf. He resigned before a full investigation could be conducted.
Similarly, as well as remaining anonymous, the staff complainants who allege that ‘a senior colleague’ had endorsed the views of Anwar-al-Awlaki when addressing pupils have not given any specific details of when and where this happened or named any witnesses to the allegation, which the school strongly denies.
And let’s not forget, while the school has been the subject of numerous inspections, media queries and speculation our teachers are still working hard towards this year’s GCSEs. We’re aiming high again and we’re confident that our pupils will achieve good qualifications, which will allow them to move onto sixth form or college and from there to university and work.
The school is ticking two of Michael Gove’s most important boxes – closing the attainment gap for disadvantaged pupils and preparing them to become economically active citizens. And yet the media is full of bitter accounts from disgruntled ex- members of staff rather than the current, hard-working talented teachers who are making this possible.
I am immensely proud of what has been achieved in the past 10 years by pupils, staff, governors, under the chairmanship of Tahir Alam and I believe that the city and the country should be equally proud.
When I started as a governor here over 15 years ago no recognition
was given to the fact that over 90% of the children were Muslim. In fact it was resisted sometimes in the strongest terms:
•no Halal food served •there were no facilities or arrangements for student prayer, for those who wanted it •girls who wanted to wear headscarves were not allowed to •and the school refused to apply for a religious part- determination to allow its collective act of worship to be Islamic in nature
All these things are now in place. I am immensely proud of the fact that Park View honours, respects and supports the cultural and religious background of all our children – who are still predominantly but not exclusively Muslim – while preparing them to be part of 21st century multi-cultural Britain.
Finally, the Ofsted inspections and Education Funding Agency review. I am appalled that whilst Park View governors and trustees have respected confidentiality, others clearly haven’t and alleged outcomes have been leaked to the media. Are there areas to improve at the school?
Yes of course, as there are at most schools. The governors had hoped that the report from the initial inspection would support us with these. However, I strongly suspect that is now very unlikely. The revisit of the inspection team gave every indication of having no wish other than to condemn the school – even the outstanding features.
The vision of the Park View Education Trust is to enable the pursuit of excellence, recognition of abilities and talent, and the realisation of ambitions for all of our learners. In so doing, we aspire to break the link between demographics, deprivation and destiny. And we are achieving that in Park View Academy, and starting to in Golden Hillock and Nansen Academies. That work has been, and continues to be, seriously threatened by these specious and unfounded attacks whose impact is so socially divisive and dangerous for a settled, stable, multi-cultural Birmingham. Yours faithfully David Hughes Director and Governor, Park View School Trustee, Park View Education Trust
Tahir
cathy

Postby Brian Jordan » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:55 am

More syllabus interference revealed. Just as happened elsewhere with YECs, pupils are being told about evolution then told that it is wrong.
The core curriculum at the two secondary schools had been Islamised, with GCSE subjects “restricted to comply with conservative Islamic teaching”.

Children told the inspectors that in biology the teacher “briefly delivered the theory of evolution to comply with the syllabus”, but told students that “this is not what we believe”.

In biology, the inspectors also found that “topics such as body structure and the menstrual cycle were not covered in class, though pupils needed them for the GCSE exam . . . students told us that as Muslims they were not allowed to study matters such as reproduction with the opposite sex”. At Park View, a “madrassah curriculum” was followed in personal, health and social education, the report said.
(my emphasis) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10775755/State-schools-isolate-non-Muslims.html
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:13 pm

Hmm don't think the full ofsted report is open yet, suggesting its being contested. Will try again in a minute.

However this bit from the Telegraph was interesting.
However, the leaked report substantiates many of the claims made against the school. It accuses Park View of 20 separate breaches of the law, the schools’ funding agreement with the DfE, and the Academy Schools Handbook.

The inspectors found that, contrary to its denials, Park View did practise forced and discriminatory gender segregation, with “boys sitting towards the front of the class and girls at the back or around the sides”.

The school has always claimed that any separation of the sexes was voluntary. However, the report says: “Students told us they were required to sit in the places which they were given by teachers.” This constituted “non-compliance with the Equality Act” and potentially “less favourable treatment for girls”. There was entirely separated teaching, in separate rooms, for some subjects, the report says.

The small number of Christian or non-Muslim pupils also suffered discrimination, the report says.

Firstly most schools DO have seating plans and I've yet to work with a teacher that didn't usually prefer the boy girl boy girl arrangement.

Secondly if the gender separation had been voluntary, and this is an over generalisation, you'd have found the girls more usually choosing to sit at the front with the boys opting for back and sides.

As for the stuff on menstrual cycles and reproduction, they are not just essential for gcse they are actually considered by most schools as essential things to teach!!! The first mention should be at primary school, hopefully before it hits any girl as a terrifying shock. It is usually part of the year 7 curriculum as well. Returned to at gcse in more technical/biological detail.
cathy

Next

Return to News and Links