UK Govt helps force homoeopathy on farmers

Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

UK Govt helps force homoeopathy on farmers

Postby Brian Jordan » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:50 pm

EU orders Britain's organic farmers to treat sick animals with homeopathy

In an astonishing revelation, the Telegraph has noticed that through a new EU rule, binding on "organic" farmers, they must use homoeopathic remedies on their sick animals. Worse, the UK government voted in favour of the rule.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/agriculture/farming/11562234/EU-orders-Britains-organic-farmers-to-treat-sick-animals-with-homeopathy.html
Thr only get-out, that I can see, is this vaguely worded bit of the article
The directive states that: “it is a general requirement…for production of all organic livestock that (herbal) and homeopathic products… shall be used in preference to chemically-synthesised allopathic veterinary treatment or antibiotics.”
What is the significance of (herbal) in brackets? It can hardly mean "scentifically validated herbal products as it would then have to say the same of their magic water, for which there is no scientific validation.
It makes one wonder whether yon nutter from the health and science committees has had a hand in voting for this nonsense.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Re: UK Govt helps force homoeopathy on farmers

Postby jon_12091 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:08 am

I suspect this traces back to the organisations that validate whether you're organic or not (and it wouldn't suprise me in the least if some of these were overrun with the kind of people who actually think 'alternative medicine' is actually an alternative to medicine).
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Postby Roger Stanyard » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:37 am

Brian Jordan wrote:
EU orders Britain's organic farmers to treat sick animals with homeopathy

In an astonishing revelation, the Telegraph has noticed that through a new EU rule, binding on "organic" farmers, they must use homoeopathic remedies on their sick animals. Worse, the UK government voted in favour of the rule.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/agriculture/farming/11562234/EU-orders-Britains-organic-farmers-to-treat-sick-animals-with-homeopathy.html
Thr only get-out, that I can see, is this vaguely worded bit of the article
The directive states that: “it is a general requirement…for production of all organic livestock that (herbal) and homeopathic products… shall be used in preference to chemically-synthesised allopathic veterinary treatment or antibiotics.”
What is the significance of (herbal) in brackets? It can hardly mean "scentifically validated herbal products as it would then have to say the same of their magic water, for which there is no scientific validation.
It makes one wonder whether yon nutter from the health and science committees has had a hand in voting for this nonsense.

I'm not inclinded to believe the Torygraph on this one. It's long been anti-EU and never been a paper of repute.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Brian Jordan » Mon May 04, 2015 5:26 pm

After I'd written the post, I read some of the comments and it was indeed suggested that the regulations were old hat from, IIRC, around 2006. The regulations also conflate homoeopathy and herbal medicines as I've mentioned. Although probably NOT forcing homoeopathy on "organic" farmers they are likely to subject animals to treatments known not to work and so postpone effective treatment and i don't think there''s any dispute that the EU has fallen for the claims of the woo-merchants in framing the original directive. Which has a definite down on what I think it described as "synthetic allopathic" remedies. So if your goat has a headache, you could let it browse on a willow tree or meadowsweet but not give it an aspirin! Despite the latter potentially being derived from salicylates from those plants.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Return to News and Links