Bible 'Plus'?

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Bible 'Plus'?

Postby a_haworthroberts » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:37 am

It's coincidental that I've decided to 'blog' this (from ideas scribbled down a while ago) on 12 February. (And the hour is caused by having slept in late on the previous day due to a pressure sore and general tiredness, and then endless computer problems overnight delaying me.)

So, having studied claims made by Young Earth Creationists (positive and negative claims), how do I see YEC-ism?

Using the Bible, and worldview derived assumptions - however far-fetched - that are broadly based upon it, to attempt to refute any and all science theories that disagree with a literal historical reading of the book of Genesis.

A YEC wants to Bible to tell us what is and what is not scientific, and what must be and what cannot possibly be, part of the 'natural' history of the planet. But they cannot get this from exegesis alone - some eisegesis is also necessary.

YEC-ism is a movement within fundamentalist (Christian) religion which is essentially about agreeing with God or agreeing with God's word (or disagreeing with what God's word does not say or is assumed to reject) and then labelling that 'Truth'. Whilst labelling all contrary science theories and hypotheses, however well supported, as 'Man's fallible opinion' or even as a 'Lie'.

It is inevitable that YECs, despite their protestations, will rather dislike the scientific method and its rigour - thus they frequently decry science (such as geology, biology or astronomy in particular) as scientism/naturalism/Darwinism and the like. It's not just the conclusions they detest but the method (especially when it comes to likely events in the distant past).

If the Bible - or come to that the Koran - is the infallible truth, why is scientific reality so different? That's tough to answer.

If scientific reality is indeed reality, why do we read conflicting (as well as primitive) 'scientific' accounts in the Bible (and perhaps the Koran too)? That is easier to answer. They were not written earlier this week.

YEC-ism is a form of Bible 'Plus'. Useful for indoctrination against 'fake science' and 'atheist brainwashing'.
a_haworthroberts

Re: Bible 'Plus'?

Postby cathy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:22 pm

If you didn't catch it earlier Ashley listen to this afternoons Inside Science. Bit about creationism and ID you might like.
cathy

Re: Bible 'Plus'?

Postby a_haworthroberts » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:05 am

cathy wrote:If you didn't catch it earlier Ashley listen to this afternoons Inside Science. Bit about creationism and ID you might like.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b051vr38
Yes - just heard it. Interview with Eugenie Scott - who's giving that talk in Glasgow next Monday that I mentioned in the 'Mega Conference' thread.

PS I see that Scott's main UK talk slot was this one on 12 February:
https://humanism.org.uk/civi/?page=Civi ... &snippet=2
a_haworthroberts

Return to Free For All