Pleasing news

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Pleasing news

Postby Anonymous » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:36 pm

The BCSE webpages, excluding the forum, have received in excess of 135 000 unique visitors over the past 12 months. The trend shows no let up.

Lets keep up the good work people.
Anonymous

Re: Pleasing news

Postby Anonymous » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:08 pm

Mike Brass wrote:The BCSE webpages, excluding the forum, have received in excess of 135 000 unique visitors over the past 12 months. The trend shows no let up.

Further to this, our recent press release on the government's issue of instructions to teachers has resulted in a blog entry by James Randerson (science correspondent, Guardian: http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/science/200 ... sroom.html), a call from the education editor at The Times and a piece in the NSS's Newsline (http://dorset-humanists.blogspot.com/20 ... ainst.html).

To the educators, scientists and laypeople who constitute the BCSE, and who share the common concern for a decent scientific education, thank you for your contributions. These contributions have been public and private. The government's response would not have come about if it weren't for the pressure exerted by concerned and responsible citizens of the UK.
Anonymous

Postby Peter Henderson » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:19 pm

Further to this, our recent press release on the government's issue of instructions

Why can't the Northern Ireland Assembly issue a set of instructions to State and Catholic schools here Mike ? If they had done this then the present embarrassing (from my point of view anyway) debacle could have been avoided. Catriona Ruane's non-response to messr's Story, Givan, Simpson etc. was expremely disappointing, as was the Ulster Unionist support for Lisburn City Council's motion. It would seem that the NI assembly members (from all parties), including a number of ministers, haven't a clue about science. :cry: But then, I suppose if your career was a butcher ,barman,soliciter or barrister why should you ? What would an ex - economics teacher (my own MP) know about evolutionary science anyway ?

Yet, good science is taught in schools here, and both Universities do important research in various diciplines. QUB for example, even though they've closed their geology department, were doing some very important work on siesmic readings and how these could help to predict tsunamis.

Why then, does science not seem to have any impact on the public at large here ? The popularity of YECism appears to highlight complete ignorance of science in general.
Peter Henderson

Postby Roger Stanyard » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:32 pm

Mike Brass wrote:The BCSE webpages, excluding the forum, have received in excess of 135 000 unique visitors over the past 12 months. The trend shows no let up.

Well, here is some more pleasing news sent in by Dean Morrison of Science Just Science. the Guardian newspaper is refering its readers to our stuff on Truth in Science. That is a ringing endorsement for us.

Have you seen this yet guys???

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/science/200 ... sroom.html

http://pandasthumb.org/archives/2007/09 ... reati.html

Well done one and all! - Raise a glass tonight!!!

Cheers!!

Deano
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby psiloiordinary » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:30 pm

Cheers ;-)
psiloiordinary

Postby Peter Henderson » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:05 pm

Reading through the reader's comments on the Daily Telegraph article is very depressing reading. :cry:
Peter Henderson

Pleasing news

Postby Anonymous » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:31 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:
Reading through the reader's comments on the Daily Telegraph article is very depressing reading. [Crying or Very sad]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... ble101.xml

In fairness, it doesn't say anything incorrect. It is nice to see more
publicity introduced by our press release.

The comments are a microcosm of what we as the BCSE are facing amongst
the general populace which will get worse if we permit TiS etc to
dictate strategy. For the first time we have reacted first and placed
them on the defensive; this can be seen by their attack dog commenting
under Randerson's Guardian article and being laughed at.
Anonymous

Pleasing news

Postby Anonymous » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:31 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:
Reading through the reader's comments on the Daily Telegraph article is very depressing reading. [Crying or Very sad]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... ble101.xml

In fairness, it doesn't say anything incorrect. It is nice to see more
publicity introduced by our press release.

The comments are a microcosm of what we as the BCSE are facing amongst
Anonymous

Pleasing news

Postby Anonymous » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:37 pm

psiloiordinary wrote:
Cheers ;-)

Nice work with your Guardian replies.
Anonymous

Pleasing news

Postby Anonymous » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:37 pm

psiloiordinary wrote:
Cheers ;-)

Nice work with your Guardian replies.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:44 pm

Roger Stanyard wrote:

Well, here is some more pleasing news sent in by Dean Morrison of Science Just Science. the Guardian newspaper is refering its readers to our stuff on Truth in Science. That is a ringing endorsement for us.

[i]Have you seen this yet guys???

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/science/200 ... sroom.html

Yup I saw that one - see above:-)

http://pandasthumb.org/archives/2007/09/uk-on-id-creati.html

I hadn't seen this entry. Very pleasing!

Well done one and all! - Raise a glass tonight!!!

A big public thank you to BCSE member tubataxidriver, a school governor, who drew up the text of the press release.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:49 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:
Further to this, our recent press release on the government's issue of instructions

Why can't the Northern Ireland Assembly issue a set of instructions to State and Catholic schools here Mike ?

I sincerely wish I could answer your question. I suspect they are too timid, afraid that if they come out publicly against creationism then it could have an adverse political impact at a local level when reconciliation is the name of the game.

Why then, does science not seem to have any impact on the public at large here ?

If we knew the answer, we wouldn't have had the popularity of van Daniken, Hancock, Bauval and their ilk. There are many people whose minds simply blank out when any scientific topic is raised. I find it sad.
Anonymous

Pleasing news

Postby Anonymous » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:51 pm

Mike Brass wrote:

A big public thank you to BCSE member tubataxidriver, a school governor, who drew up the text of the press release.

A separate thank you to Mark and also Glenn Branch for their efforts to
publicise the government's guidelines.

The more the better.
Anonymous

Postby Brian Jordan » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:25 am

Mike Brass wrote:The comments are a microcosm of what we as the BCSE are facing amongst
I have reported Anderson's second comment to the Guardian, complaining about its libellous content.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Roger Stanyard » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:08 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:
Mike Brass wrote:The comments are a microcosm of what we as the BCSE are facing amongst
I have reported Anderson's second comment to the Guardian, complaining about its libellous content.

I've reported both of his comments as constituting malicious libel.

We'll need to check back in a day or so to see if the Guardian has removed them.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Next

Return to Free For All